FFSA Presentation Night

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

FFSA Presentation Night

Post by In the way »

This must be coming up soon or has it been already ?
I was lucky enough to attend last year as an invited guest of one of the women's clubs.

Did feel strange, after seeing the winners of the ffsa coach of the year, wnpl player of the year, and community coach of the year, common denominator - they were all involved with the ffsa / ntc development system.

Do other clubs get a look in, will be interesting to see what they do this year
Does anyone know what is the criteria of these awards for 2019 ?

Coach of the year- hard to go past Adelaide Citys coach, they finished top by a mile, and won everything
Player of the year - Jenna Mc would have to be among the top 3, she help keep Fulham team together, Dylan Holmes could surprise a few.

What do you's think
Last edited by In the way on Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: FFSA Presentation Night

Post by Rightside »

Coach and GK of the year are voted on by the other WNPL coaches aswell team of the year, player of the year from the refs.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Rightside wrote:Coach and GK of the year are voted on by the other WNPL coaches aswell team of the year, player of the year from the refs.
thank you

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

Sasaki N won Player of Season at Adelaide City and must have a big chance. Will be interested in how Condon goes, had a great season.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I’m not sure that the refs are the best people to decide player of the year. After all, they are focused on reffing the games, not on how players are doing their jobs. And in the past, the winners of this award have tended to be the better players on mediocre teams. I would argue that City, and for that matter West Adelaide, had so many strong players that over 21 games they all take points from each other. Player of the year won’t be from either of those two teams. Maybe Jenna, or Emily Condon? Maybe Laura Johns... players who are consistently the best from their respective teams.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

juniorsupporter wrote:I’m not sure that the refs are the best people to decide player of the year. After all, they are focused on reffing the games, not on how players are doing their jobs. And in the past, the winners of this award have tended to be the better players on mediocre teams. I would argue that City, and for that matter West Adelaide, had so many strong players that over 21 games they all take points from each other. Player of the year won’t be from either of those two teams. Maybe Jenna, or Emily Condon? Maybe Laura Johns... players who are consistently the best from their respective teams.
Referee voting has decided these types of awards in Men's and Women's competitions for a long time. I would say given the track record of winners, they've been reasonable judges in the past.

As always, even if the player deemed best has their votes "diluted" by being in a strong team, perhaps it's fair for it to go to the most influential inevitably, ie. a strong individual in an inexperienced side.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Leave as it is.

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

juniorsupporter wrote:I’m not sure that the refs are the best people to decide player of the year. After all, they are focused on reffing the games, not on how players are doing their jobs. And in the past, the winners of this award have tended to be the better players on mediocre teams. I would argue that City, and for that matter West Adelaide, had so many strong players that over 21 games they all take points from each other. Player of the year won’t be from either of those two teams. Maybe Jenna, or Emily Condon? Maybe Laura Johns... players who are consistently the best from their respective teams.
maybe a few lessons on what to look for as they seem to be lacking understanding what a best and fairest is and how its defined. people just assume its a given. ( alot of young refs who have never played coming into the fray)