AUWFC Captain Quits Lady Reds

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

AUWFC Captain Quits Lady Reds

Post by sportsbird »

I am bitterly disappointed that Emma Checker has quit the lady reds and leaving for another W League Club. How can this happen. Emma is a great leader, great player and a wonderful person. This is going to leave a big gap to fill. What is going on at Adelaide United, this is now the 4th Captain in 5 years to depart the club. There must be more than meets the eye. This seems to be common theme at Adelaide United that they attract elite players from overseas and interstate only to see them depart for another W League club the following season. I believe this is the effects from last season where players were unhappy with the coaching staff and the club. If we continue to lose elite players, it will be big task for the club to get back on track. We haven't played finals since the inception of the W League in 2008. The club seriously needs to fix the issue whether it's culture, coaching staff or money, otherwise we will be looking at missing the finals again in 2019-2020.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: AUWFC Captain Quits Lady Reds

Post by Ben Rath »

sportsbird wrote:I am bitterly disappointed that Emma Checker has quit the lady reds and leaving for another W League Club. How can this happen. Emma is a great leader, great player and a wonderful person. This is going to leave a big gap to fill. What is going on at Adelaide United, this is now the 4th Captain in 5 years to depart the club. There must be more than meets the eye. This seems to be common theme at Adelaide United that they attract elite players from overseas and interstate only to see them depart for another W League club the following season. I believe this is the effects from last season where players were unhappy with the coaching staff and the club. If we continue to lose elite players, it will be big task for the club to get back on track. We haven't played finals since the inception of the W League in 2008. The club seriously needs to fix the issue whether it's culture, coaching staff or money, otherwise we will be looking at missing the finals again in 2019-2020.
Think youll find her work commitment is the main reason. Has lived in Melbourne for last couple of years and just came to Adelaide for the summer to play W-League. Simple as that. It's been known around the traps for sometime that she couldn't come back for next season. Well before that incorrect post you made where you pretended to have inside info on whos been offered contracts- where you included Emma. In case youve forgotten the rubbish you wrote:

"The talk has it that there will be a significant player movement within the Adelaide United Women's Team.
It has been rumored that Ivan was not happy with some of the local players last season and will be introducing several new players.
At this stage, contracts will be offered to 6-7 local players from last season. Chelsie Dawber, Emily Hodgson, Emily Condon, Emma Checker, Laura Johns, Charlotte Grant and Sarah Willacy.
The rest will miss out. It will be interesting who the new players will be."

Being the pathetic person you are, with no knowledge of Emma's reasons for going, you have had a stab at coaching staff and the club when Karolovic is about to have a 3rd season there following a merry go round from the years before that and he was identified as one of the reasons some players were keen to join the club. Heyman being one example.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

+1

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

don't bother....she has form.....a disgruntled player or parent of who didn't make it...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Another week, another uninformed crack at Ivan from Sportsbird. The agenda is embarrassing.

For what it's worth, two of the four imports from last year are currently injured and thus were not offered deals (Gunni and Latsko)

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

MegaBonus wrote:don't bother....she has form.....a disgruntled player or parent of who didn't make it...
Mega, I am not a disgruntle player or parent. I am a disgruntle supporter who thinks the Adelaide United football club have not or will not take women's football seriously. I am disappointed that we continually missing out on finals and yet to play in the finals since the inception of the W League in 2008. I am just eager to see Adelaide United succeed and make the finals. But as always, we fall short.
Nathurn Burns, in relation to your comments regarding Ivan. Yes. I do have my opinions regarding Ivan's coaching ability. He may have been an excellent coach in the men's league but unfortunately has not produced the skills to understand and manage female athletes. Just go back to last season and the players will tell you that they were not happy with Ivan's communication skills, positional moves and tactics especially leading to the final leg heading towards the finals. Players were also unhappy with the club budget cuts effecting their interstate trips. Just watch last season games and you will see players arguing, unhappy, heads down, unsure of positions etc. I can recall an ex Matilda player, legend of the game, played for the lady reds last season was so unhappy, she regretted making the move. She vowed never to return to the club. Unfortunately, she has now retired. Furthermore, there were unhappy players who felt that Ivan was only interested in the overseas and interstate players. One day, the club will get serious and appoint either a male or female coach who has extensive knowledge and experience in understanding and managing female athletes.
I understand Ivan is coaching in 2019-2020, I will continue to support the lady reds and hope they have a successful season.
If I could offer some advice to Ivan, it would be that he offers contracts to players who deserve it and have performed exceptionally well and have the ability to stand up to the standard of the W League. Finally, I hope Ivan has learnt his lesson from last season of not offering contracts to injured players in the hope they will be ready by the first game.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

At the fear of being vilified I'm with Sportsbird. Yep I have a vested interest in women's sport and do give a damn about the continued lacklustre performances by AUFC-W. The players are not to blame. Long may the Adelaide City push continue because they will have a proper model and will be successful. This heavy reliance upon stars from interstate and visa players is not the answer. They are the bonuses and welcome bonuses because they are exceptional players.

Again the debate goes on about the plight of AUFC-W however, the structure needs to be changed to ensure the local players have enough time away from WNPL to rest, recover and do a proper pre-season before W League. Until then performances will continue to dip mid season and we fade away.

Keep on posting Sportsbird. I may not always agree but find your insight and views worthy of thought. It's easy to dismiss you as disgruntled or bitter. I'm more about counter arguments. Keep the sherry honest.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

Dearly beloved, after it spent years on life support we are gathered here today for the funeral of sportsbird's credibility.

Outgoing Adelaide United Women Captain, Emma Checker, explains it was an extremely tough decision to make in leaving her hometown Club.

Checker had served as Captain for the last two seasons following her return to the Reds in 2017, after initially beginning her Westfield W-League career with Adelaide in 2011.

However, the 23-year-old, who lives in Melbourne, said her main reason for not returning was due to work-related commitments.

“It was a very difficult decision and it definitely wasn’t an over night one,” she revealed.

“It was something I went back and forth with and sat on for a little while, and obviously decisions like that come with a number of pros and cons that work both ways.

“I think for me it was about looking at the big picture involving every part of my life in the decision that I made.

“And I guess that was one big part of it, making sure the decision I came to was something that was supportive of everything I was trying to achieve in football and in life.

“I feel like I’m in a position now to challenge myself in football and challenge myself in life and that’s something that’s really important to me moving forward.”

The centre-back sits fourth on the Reds’ all-time appearances list with 41 games and admitted she has a number of unforgettable moments during her time here.

“It’s hard to pinpoint one moment because I was fortunate enough to have a lot of special times and a lot of really proud moments being a part of the Club,” said Checker, who has three Matildas caps.

“It was such an amazing Club to be involved with, it’s my home Club. The staff were amazing and the girls were amazing.

“It was something I’m really proud of and wearing my home kit is something I will always hold close to me.

“And being able to lead such a great group of girls as captain was something as well that was a big life lesson for me and again a really proud moment.”

However, helping lead Adelaide to their best ever finish last season under the tutelage of Head Coach, Ivan Karlović, is something she is immensely proud of.

The Reds missed out on a finals berth by one point during the 2018/19 campaign – Adelaide’s most successful season to date.

“I think the progress we made within the two years that I was fortunate enough to spend there was huge,” she said.

“We went from bottom of the table to missing out on third place by one point.

“I think that’s a pretty phenomenal improvement to make over one season and that for me was a big highlight and I really do hope that the girls can build on top of what we’ve already created.”

And the defender was more than confident that the team would continue moving in the right direction with Karlović at the helm.

Checker added that changing the mentality and building a strong team culture within the playing group was the legacy she hopes to leave behind.

“For me it was about progressing the culture in the group and really setting a bar,” she continued.

“For me the thing that I took a lot of pride in was leading through actions and setting a really high standard in what the expectations were.

“And that was something that was changed in the group and I think that was a big part of why we had a lot more success in the year (2018/19) because our progress with culture as a team was massive.

“And I really hope that I’ve been able to leave something behind there and I hope that that team culture can continue.

“Because I think that’s something really important for a club and team like Adelaide. It’s hard being a smaller city in a smaller population pool to pull from.

“But I think when you’ve got a big heart and a group of girls that want to fight we proved that upsets are possible and big seasons are possible.”

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Ben, You didn't really expect Emma to come out and knock the club for being unprofessional. Emma is a professional athlete and is to smart to fall in that trap which may affect her credibility.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

sportsbird wrote:Ben, You didn't really expect Emma to come out and knock the club for being unprofessional. Emma is a professional athlete and is to smart to fall in that trap which may affect her credibility.
She is not at all obligated to say or do a thing and she's even followed up with more kind words from her own social media.

It's funny that after you were caught out with your own words which showed that you just talk s..t to run your disgusting agenda, youre back where you started. Here's a tip- if you don't tell lies you don't have to remember them.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Lot of love been shown (elsewhere to this forum topic). The twitter feeds from AUFC/Emma/Ivan/other interested people have been good to read. It's a case of "Everyone love everyone....". It's a wonderful world we live in.

alwaysoffside
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by alwaysoffside »

Ben Rath wrote:
sportsbird wrote:Ben, You didn't really expect Emma to come out and knock the club for being unprofessional. Emma is a professional athlete and is to smart to fall in that trap which may affect her credibility.
She is not at all obligated to say or do a thing and she's even followed up with more kind words from her own social media.

It's funny that after you were caught out with your own words which showed that you just talk s..t to run your disgusting agenda, youre back where you started. Here's a tip- if you don't tell lies you don't have to remember them.
Come BR, enough correct information and facts, Please leave some room for small minded keyboard trolls to do some more mud slinging.
Surely the captain left do to an alleged Photo, or sextape or punch up with coach!!!

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Ben Rath wrote:

Ben, I'm not talking as you say "talking s..t", I am commenting on what I hear and see. I guess you haven't spoken to any of the players as you would have not responded to my comments as you have. Maybe you should talk to the legend of the game and hear what she has to say. I bet you will change your mind quickly.
Also, this will be my final discussion with you Ben on this, but let me say this, if you are happy with the current climate with women's football in SA then you are entitled to, but I am not. I would like to see a lot more support for the junior level. We have no SA players currently selected in the Matildas top 16 and none in the Junior Matildas. Why?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Well said Sportsbird and in no way do I think you’ve got a hidden agenda. The only agenda is form the betterment of the game. I’ve bene going on about the lack of representation in the Matildas for many years. Many years. Whenever the list of Matildas (senior down to junior) came out I always asked the question as to whether the Elite development program, is working and delivering on its mandate. The replies were lack lustre and basically 15 years on, the same sad situation remains. SASI now NTC.

Representation is tokenistic at best. New generation of players come through with promises made to a new wide eyed group and their families. BY the time they work out that the dream being sold is built upon quicksand, it’s too late. We are quick to accept mediocrity and like you Sportsbird, we want them to be held to account. I no longer have a vested interest.

The person whom I supported years ago is no longer eligible/interested in national selection, therefore, my views are based on those in or coming into the system. Whether it’s AUFC-W or NTC. They system will not change because those in charge are obviously not held to account for the product they provide for the national teams. Basically, the people at the top don’t rate SA

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

sportsbird wrote:
Ben Rath wrote:

Ben, I'm not talking as you say "talking s..t", I am commenting on what I hear and see. I guess you haven't spoken to any of the players as you would have not responded to my comments as you have. Maybe you should talk to the legend of the game and hear what she has to say. I bet you will change your mind quickly.
Also, this will be my final discussion with you Ben on this, but let me say this, if you are happy with the current climate with women's football in SA then you are entitled to, but I am not. I would like to see a lot more support for the junior level. We have no SA players currently selected in the Matildas top 16 and none in the Junior Matildas. Why?
If you had actually spoken to players you would never have posted incorrectly on another thread that Checker had been offered a contract when it was already known around the traps that her work commitments were going to prevent her moving to Adelaide for summer as she has in last 2 seasons. You would also have known that there are at least 2 local players who have already been offered AUFC contracts who you didnt mention. And you know what? one of the players I've heard from is affected by that other hysterical post of yours which conveniently omitted facts. You know the one I mean and the player knows all about it too.

Did I say I was happy with womens football in SA? All Ive done is call out lies. We get it, you dont like the coach but you could have just said it straight out from the get go rather than tell untruths. He's not Pep Guardiola but doing his best and got AUFC its best ever points total last year. What does trying to undermine him do?

The reason I call out lies is because its to easy for a keyboard warrior to make stuff up about real people who are out there doing their best. A really horrible thing to do. It's hurtful and you should be ashamed. I don't give a rats if you don't discuss stuff with me anymore but I will call out every bit of c**p you say. You can't tell lies with impugnity. And spare us the rubbish about how much you care. You don't. You are a toxic troll and no one ever fixed anythin that way.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Emma Checker has signed with Melbourne City.
For those who think she left the lady reds due to work commitments in Melbourne should think again.
As quoted by Emma Checker, “I want to be challenged and I feel like the environment here is the best place for me to challenge myself and to get myself back to hopefully being in the national team setup again,”
Emma left because she was not happy at Adelaide United and felt her opportunity to get back into the national team was move to Melbourne City.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

sportsbird wrote:Emma Checker has signed with Melbourne City.
For those who think she left the lady reds due to work commitments in Melbourne should think again.
As quoted by Emma Checker, “I want to be challenged and I feel like the environment here is the best place for me to challenge myself and to get myself back to hopefully being in the national team setup again,”
Emma left because she was not happy at Adelaide United and felt her opportunity to get back into the national team was move to Melbourne City.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You should start your own comedy show, your hilarious!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Sportsbird- I’m curious as to how you can dismiss her public statements about why she left United as “political” and therefore not true, while you accept her public statements regarding why she went to City at face value. Seems a bit inconsistent.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

sportsbird wrote: For those who think she left the lady reds due to work commitments in Melbourne should think again.
Two replies since I logged on tonight. Looks like if anyone 'thought again' they reached the same conclusion.

I would actually admire your tenacity if it didnt result from both bitterness and stupidity.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

good luck to Emma Checker, thank you for your time with Adelaide.
Do what is best for you and your future, in football and in life.
Even when you play against us, Adelaide will still love you ( most of us anyway ) hope you have an injury free and trouble free season.
I hope when Melb City play the Reds, you score a hat trick, in Adelaide's 4-3 win.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

Oh wow, playing the last two seasons at AUFC really killed Checker's chances of a look-in with the Matildas.

Westfield Matildas selection to assemble for October training camp
FFA Media 3 hrs ago

Westfield Matildas Head Coach Ante Milicic and his staff will have the opportunity to work with 21 current or prospective women’s national team players at a training camp in New South Wales next month.

Between October 1 and 9 a Westfield Matildas selection will train in Sydney for the first time since the completion of the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™.

Milicic’s squad for October’s training camp features 12 players that were part of Australia’s 23-player squad in France, plus nine footballers that are either seeking to establish or re-energise their respective senior women’s national team careers.

“This camp will provide a great chance for numerous players on our radar to impress leading up to our November friendly series against Chile in Parramatta and Adelaide,” Milicic said.
Matildas-Chile-match

“As we look ahead to next year’s Tokyo 2020 Olympic qualifiers, and beyond that to the new AFC Women’s Asian Cup and FIFA Women’s World Cup cycle, it is important that we build more depth in the Matildas’ playing ranks, and this camp will provide a good starting point for that.

“Some players are missing from this camp, and there are a variety of reasons for that including individual loads, injuries, and personal circumstances, however we will be selecting what we believe will be our strongest possible squad for November’s matches against Chile in Australia,” he said.

The Westfield Matildas will play Chile on Saturday, 9 November 2019 at Bankwest Stadium in Parramatta, before meeting the South Americans at Coopers Stadium in Adelaide again on Tuesday, 12 November 2019.

Tickets are available now via www.matildas.com.au, and the games will also be broadcast live in Australia on FOX SPORTS, Kayo Sports, and via the My Football Live App, Live, Fast, and Data Free for Telstra mobile customers.

Westfield Matildas 21-Player Squad | Training Camp – 1-9 October 2019 | Sydney, Australia

Name

Club, Country

Mackenzie ARNOLD (Gk)

Chicago Red Stars, United States of America

Ellie CARPENTER

Portland Thorns, United States of America

Emma CHECKER

Melbourne City FC, Australia

Alex CHIDIAC

Atletico Madrid, Spain

Kyra COONEY-CROSS

Future Matildas, Australia

Caitlin FOORD

Jacynta GALABADAARACHCHI

West Ham United, England

Katrina GORRY

Brisbane Roar FC, Australia

Annie GROVE (Gk)

Amy HARRISON

Washington Spirit, United States of America

Elise KELLOND-KNIGHT

Alanna KENNEDY

Orlando Pride, United States of America

Chloe LOGARZO

Rachel LOWE

UCLA, United States of America

Jen MCCORMICK

Fulham United, Australia

Teagan MICAH (Gk)

UCLA, United States of America

Courtney NEVIN

Hayley RASO

Karly ROESTBAKKEN

Kyah SIMON

Houston Dash, United States of America

Tameka YALLOP

Klepp IL, Norway

Upcoming Matches – Westfield Matildas

Westfield Matildas v Chile
Date: Saturday, 9 November 2019
Venue: Bankwest Stadium, Parramatta
Kick-off: 3.00pm (AEDT)
Tickets: Tickets on sale now via matildas.com.au
Broadcast: Live in Australia on FOX SPORTS, Kayo Sports, and via the My Football Live App, Live, Fast, and Data Free for Telstra mobile customers

Westfield Matildas v Chile
Date: Tuesday, 12 November 2019
Venue: Coopers Stadium, Adelaide
Kick-off: 7.00pm (ACDT); 7.30pm (AEDT)
Tickets: Tickets on sale now via matildas.com.au
Broadcast: Live in Australia on FOX SPORTS, Kayo Sports, and via the My Football Live App, Live, Fast, and Data Free for Telstra mobile customers

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

well done to Jenna M, and Fulham FC among all the clubs they are the only Australian WNPL club mentioned.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Fulham FC Really? They have had zero involvement in the cross code player's development.

And keep it in perspective, it's not the world cup squad. It's an exhibition match. And Emma's selection? same scenario. Exhibition match.
In the way wrote:well done to Jenna M, and Fulham FC among all the clubs they are the only Australian WNPL club mentioned.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

billy the kid wrote:Fulham FC Really? They have had zero involvement in the cross code player's development.

And keep it in perspective, it's not the world cup squad. It's an exhibition match. And Emma's selection? same scenario. Exhibition match.
In the way wrote:well done to Jenna M, and Fulham FC among all the clubs they are the only Australian WNPL club mentioned.

Bit pee'd off about not being selected? Any opportunity to be involved with the Matildas coaching staff has to be a good thing
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

billy the kid wrote:Fulham FC Really? They have had zero involvement in the cross code player's development.

Trying to put a positive spin on it, sorry you do not agree with the selections and sorry you or your choice of players were not selected. I have nothing to do with Fulham, I give them credit.
Everyone who reads the team selection,and everybody who reads the list of players and their clubs, will know there is a Fulham FC, even more so if Jenna makes the cut.
Emma and Jenna both have a foot in the door, anything is possible, all up to them now.
Three SA players in the Senior National squad,when was the last time that happen - Men's or women's ?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Congratulations to all three players. A very exciting opportunity to begin the journey towards Olympic selection. But let's all remember it's a camp. They've been invited to camp. They're being given an opportunity to show what they've got in a camp setting so that Milicic can consider all of his options going into an Olympic year. I think it's great that he's casting a wider net. About time.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

juniorsupporter wrote:Congratulations to all three players. A very exciting opportunity to begin the journey towards Olympic selection. But let's all remember it's a camp. They've been invited to camp. They're being given an opportunity to show what they've got in a camp setting so that Milicic can consider all of his options going into an Olympic year. I think it's great that he's casting a wider net. About time.
+1

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

In the way wrote:good luck to Emma Checker, thank you for your time with Adelaide.
Do what is best for you and your future, in football and in life.
Even when you play against us, Adelaide will still love you ( most of us anyway ) hope you have an injury free and trouble free season.
I hope when Melb City play the Reds, you score a hat trick, in Adelaide's 4-3 win.
+1