FFSA Bringing the game into disrepute

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

FFSA Bringing the game into disrepute

Post by sportsbird »

FFSA shame on you.
You should be held accountable for bringing the game in disrepute.
Firstly, I would like to say that I am appalled and disgusted in the decision from the FFSA to allow an elite player to play in the reserves team in the finals having not met the eligibility of playing 6 games to qualify. As per the following rules.
Rule 18. Eligibility of Players
No player shall be permitted to play for more than one Club in the final series.
(b) ii. b. Reserve Teams i. To be eligible to play in the finals series players must have played at least six (6) games with the Reserve Team during the home & away season. Clubs are permitted to use players from their Community or junior teams without them having to play the required number of games as outlined above.
Rules and regulations are put in place for a reason. Rules and regulations are sets of principles, policies, criteria, descriptions and/or conducts governing a sport or physical activity for reasons of safety, sportsmanship, equipment or facility design, competitiveness and most importantly FAIRNESS. A game is only as good as its rules. Participants perform actions according to the regulations and are judged based on how the rules are followed.
Well the FFSA has failed on two counts, Fairness and breaking the rules to suit.
When I arrived at Valo Park, there was so much anger and conversation regarding this dreadful decision. There was talk amongst several clubs to pull the pin prior to the finals but common sense prevailed. This is not a reserve player, but an elite player who is a W League player. How unfair was this to the opposition club. This also reflected on the final score.
I don’t give a damn if the player was injured, ill or whatever the case may be. The rules are there for a reason. Unfortunately, those rules were changed to suit because this player had a medical certificate. A medical certificate does not give the right for a player to be exempted. An absolute disgraceful decision. I am just flabbergasted.
FFSA, you have now created a precedent.
Clubs will now have the right to submit a medical certificate for a player who is ineligible to play in finals for an exemption.
Secondly, the same club involved also was given the opportunity to play 3 international players in the cup final because there was a loophole. Completely unfair.
The FFSA and the club involved should be ashamed of themselves for not playing in the spirit of the game.
Unfortunately, the clubs cannot appeal the decision as the FFSA have in the rules and regulations that they have the discretion to do what-ever they like.

Shame on you FFSA. The clubs should receive a letter of apology and have the fortitude to admit you have made an error of judgment.

brushmancity
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: FFSA Bringing the game into disrepute

Post by brushmancity »

Typical FFSA flouting the rules. Now every club can break the rules cos precedent has been set! It's not the first time rules have been bent to suit.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

So who was the offending club and player?

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Adelaide City - Grace Abbey

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

LOL.
This is the same player that was considered by sportsbird to not be worth a go at AU because she is injury prone and has not shown results at W league - yet now she is elite.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Sorry, the club didn’t do anything wrong. All they did was ask. And the player definitely didn’t do anything wrong. She’s been injured for the better part of 2 years and is trying to get fit, which is the purpose of the reserves, for players to work their way back into fitness and the first team after injury.

I understand that city is a club that people love to hate, but Don’t blame the club because they asked the question and you don’t like the answer they were given.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

+1

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

My comments were in no way of targeting the individual. This was to highlight how the FFSA can change the rules without being held to account. Just ask the other two clubs who were denied an exemption to a similiar issue.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Secondly, the same club involved also was given the opportunity to play 3 international players in the cup final because there was a loophole. Completely unfair.
The FFSA and the club involved should be ashamed of themselves for not playing in the spirit of the game.

Sounds like you’re blaming the club, just a bit.

Again, the club asked. Don’t ask, don’t get. The FFSA gave answers- both in the case of the player playing reserves, and the cup final. The club is not at fault here.

I don’t know all the details of the requests. I agree there should be consistency. But without all the details, we don’t know if there wasn’t.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

On the assumption that City got approval prior to the game from FFSA to play an unqualified player, then the issue isn't with city but with the Federation.

I think everyone would like to know, and especially West Adelaide, on what grounds one individual player was exempted from a black and white (pardon the pun) rule.

There maybe a legitimate reason (personally I struggle to come up with one, you have either qualified or you haven't), so its critical for competition transparency that the thought making process behind the decision is made public to all the clubs, who should now going forward, have access to the same loophole.

As for international players or the amount playing, I have no issue, provided City have managed to fit all these internationals and lady reds under the points cap. Again, I'm assuming the Federation have audited the points player system for those clubs playing finals.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

Player is finally fit to play - which is great news.

1st Team playing at the same time as reserves.

She didn't make first team, so played reserves.

seems fair enough... what am i missing?

Galey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Galey »

As far as the 3 overseas players playing in the cup final, no application had to be lodged as the rules specifically state that the PPS does not apply in the cup and the PPS rules are the only place the visa players rule is mentioned.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

adam wrote:Player is finally fit to play - which is great news.

Adam everything you've stated is true, but she hasn't played enough games to be eligible to play.

I'd like to think no one has an issue with a club asking for an interpretation of the rules or seeking exemption.
It seems that the player being allowed to play despite not meeting the games played requirements is the issue other clubs are concerned by.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

That Sportsbird is a JOKer.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

(b) ii. b. Reserve Teams i. To be eligible to play in the finals series players must have played at least six (6) games with the Reserve Team during the home & away season. Clubs are permitted to use players from their Community or junior teams without them having to play the required number of games as outlined above
It would be fine in a normal round, however you have to be eligible to play in the finals series. The rule seems pretty clear. Hasn't played the required number of games and is not a player from their Community or Junior teams.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

For me, if their senior team is still in the finals then it should be fine, seniors are out then its a no. (I understand the rules say different, this is my opinion on how it should be)
Same as cup tied players, you shouldn't be cup tied until the highest team you have played for is knocked out.

Galey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Galey »

paul merson wrote:

For me, if their senior team is still in the finals then it should be fine, seniors are out then its a no. (I understand the rules say different, this is my opinion on how it should be)
Same as cup tied players, you shouldn't be cup tied until the highest team you have played for is knocked out.
Pretty sure the intention of this rule is to stop Prems players being dropped down to Reserves once the Prems have been knocked out. In this instance the player in question has not played any Prems games this season so the rule is invalid

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Galey wrote:Pretty sure the intention of this rule is to stop Prems players being dropped down to Reserves once the Prems have been knocked out. In this instance the player in question has not played any Prems games this season so the rule is invalid
"To be eligible to play in the finals series players must have played at least six (6) games with the Reserve Team during the home & away season."

Problem being it makes no reference to any other teams played for, so it's pretty clear she did not qualify and received an exemption from the "corrupt ones"
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Sportsbird. not good scenario. FFSA have played hard ball in the past with W League players and in this case, I am not happy that city have been shown to have thumbed their noses (with FFSA support) of the rules. Piss poor.

Respect the other clubs and teams who do the right thing. Without them there is no WNPL.

This inaction by FFSA will form a line with its imminent decision about relegation and allowing NTC to remain in the WNPL. Again piss poor. Allowing them in the WNPL in the first instance is WRONG especially where we have seen Cumberland booted out of the WNPL. A founding club that has worked hard to implement a junior/senior structure to be relegated is wrong.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

So since the weekend, has the FFSA given any reason to the clubs as to why, for what appears to be a clear cut rule, has been allowed to be broken? A decision has been made, fair enough, but surely an explanation as to why should be forthcoming.

Is it also safe to assume that the player in question will also be allowed to play again this weekend in the next final?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

So according to these rules, if a club was hit by sickness or general loss of players (2015 Metrostars Mens team lost 5 players in a week) they would not be able to promote any players to their reserves team unless they had already played 6 games during the season?

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

paul merson wrote:So according to these rules, if a club was hit by sickness or general loss of players (2015 Metrostars Mens team lost 5 players in a week) they would not be able to promote any players to their reserves team unless they had already played 6 games during the season?
Promote, unlimited (from Juniors and Divisional teams). Demote, no.

I believe at the start of the season, they recruited a number of girls into their Reserves squad but have subsequently played more U17s football. So in terms of pipeline, Adelaide City do not have a numbers issue bringing capable players up.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Lucas Leiva wrote:
paul merson wrote:So according to these rules, if a club was hit by sickness or general loss of players (2015 Metrostars Mens team lost 5 players in a week) they would not be able to promote any players to their reserves team unless they had already played 6 games during the season?
Promote, unlimited (from Juniors and Divisional teams). Demote, no.

I believe at the start of the season, they recruited a number of girls into their Reserves squad but have subsequently played more U17s football. So in terms of pipeline, Adelaide City do not have a numbers issue bringing capable players up.
But don't you have to have played 6 games?
How many games has Grace played in the seniors this season?

For the record, I think the rule is wrong, if your seniors are in the comp there should be no 'must have played's or 'senior game limits', nobody would stack a ressie side if their seniors are still competing.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Whether we accept this particular rule or not, the rule was incorporated for a reason. Some of you have indicated that it was ok that an exemption was granted. Where do you draw the line.
What if another issue arises, is it ok for the FFSA to offer an exemption again. Where does it stop. Unfortunately the FFSA have opened a can of worms.
I must also stress that several clubs have shown their consternation but elected to continue with the finals to avoid embarrassment to the FFSA. Don't forget that several other clubs requested similar exemption but were rejected.
However, an extraordinary rumour has surfaced that it may be more than just an exemption, but rather an exemption to assist this player in the hope of securing a contract with the lady reds as a result of minimal amount games played due to injury. If this is the case, I find it absolutely preposterous and outrages.
It's a matter of time before the truth will come out.
Finally, let me make it quite clear that my protestations is towards the incorrect decision made by the FFSA and not the individual player concerned.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

sportsbird wrote:Whether we accept this particular rule or not, the rule was incorporated for a reason. Some of you have indicated that it was ok that an exemption was granted. Where do you draw the line.
What if another issue arises, is it ok for the FFSA to offer an exemption again. Where does it stop. Unfortunately the FFSA have opened a can of worms.
I must also stress that several clubs have shown their consternation but elected to continue with the finals to avoid embarrassment to the FFSA. Don't forget that several other clubs requested similar exemption but were rejected.
However, an extraordinary rumour has surfaced that it may be more than just an exemption, but rather an exemption to assist this player in the hope of securing a contract with the lady reds as a result of minimal amount games played due to injury. If this is the case, I find it absolutely preposterous and outrages.
Finally, let me make it quite clear that my protestations is towards the incorrect decision made by the FFSA and not the individual player concerned.
Took me a whole 30 secs on FFSA website to find that rules allow Abbey to play. From https://www.ffsa.com.au/sites/ffsa/file ... 202019.pdf

Reserve Teams
i. To be eligible to play in the finals series players must have played a minimum of six (6) games with the Reserve Team during the home an daway season. Clubs are permitted to use players from their Community or junior teams without them having to play the required number of games as outlined above.
ii. Where the Senior Grade Game is played prior to the Reserve Grade Game, a WNPL Club may move a maximum of three players between the Senior Grade and Reserve Grade in a Final Series Round on the proviso that the three players named were named as substitutes in the Senior Grade Game.
iii. Where the Reserve Grade Game is played prior to the Senior Grade game, the movement of players up to the Senior Grade game is unlimited.
iv. A club may move players up from their community and junior grade teams.
v. Football Federation SA in its sole and absolute discretion may in extenuating circumstances provide an exemption for a player to play who does not meet the above criteria.

Hero sportsbird conveniently left out that last bit. Says a lot about her doesnt it? Plus a player out for nearly a seaosn with injury coming in is an extenuating circumstance. Think about her wellbeing for christ's sake!!! Plus with senior team still in finals this is not a case of stacking the reserves.

Geez I hope Abbey never sees or hears this rubbish. Sportsbird you are a pathetic person and should apologize.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Ben Rath wrote:
sportsbird wrote:Whether we accept this particular rule or not, the rule was incorporated for a reason. Some of you have indicated that it was ok that an exemption was granted. Where do you draw the line.
Took me a whole 30 secs on FFSA website to find that rules allow Abbey to play. From https://www.ffsa.com.au/sites/ffsa/file ... 202019.pdf

Reserve Teams
i. To be eligible to play in the finals series players must have played a minimum of six (6) games with the Reserve Team during the home an daway season. Clubs are permitted to use players from their Community or junior teams without them having to play the required number of games as outlined above.
ii. Where the Senior Grade Game is played prior to the Reserve Grade Game, a WNPL Club may move a maximum of three players between the Senior Grade and Reserve Grade in a Final Series Round on the proviso that the three players named were named as substitutes in the Senior Grade Game.
iii. Where the Reserve Grade Game is played prior to the Senior Grade game, the movement of players up to the Senior Grade game is unlimited.
v. Football Federation SA in its sole and absolute discretion may in extenuating circumstances provide an exemption for a player to play who does not meet the above criteria.

Hero sportsbird conveniently left out that last bit. Says a lot about her doesnt it? Plus a player out for nearly a seaosn with injury coming in is an extenuating circumstance. Think about her wellbeing for christ's sake!!! Plus with senior team still in finals this is not a case of stacking the reserves.

Geez I hope Abbey never sees or hears this rubbish. Sportsbird you are a pathetic person and should apologize.
Not sure why one persons opinion is being targeted.

Without taking anyone's side, the term extenuating circumstances is based on interpretation and its clear the FFSA sides with AC's request.

Is it the correct call, all our opinions are based on points of view, some from a competition fairness stance, others may be friends or family, some AC fans, others simply football fans.

Some agree and some don't.
Both sides have valid points, but the FFSA had to make a call and its done, lets move on.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

BAGGIO 15 wrote:
Ben Rath wrote:

Reserve Teams

Not sure why one persons opinion is being targeted.

Without taking anyone's side, the term extenuating circumstances is based on interpretation and its clear the FFSA sides with AC's request.

Is it the correct call, all our opinions are based on points of view, some from a competition fairness stance, others may be friends or family, some AC fans, others simply football fans.

Some agree and some don't.
Both sides have valid points, but the FFSA had to make a call and its done, lets move on.
All opinions were given on basis of the original post which conveniently omited the rule that allowed Abbey to play. This is why person is being 'targeted'.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Judging by the many comments above, you may jumped the gun (I'm too lazy to research so I preface my comments with this) however, I understand your sentiments re; FFSA. I suspect it's about keeping them on task and accountable. With that I totally agree.

I await with anticipation the relegation issue re: NTC and of course if the 2019/20 AUFC-W will be peppered with NTC bods.

alwaysoffside
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by alwaysoffside »

Ben Rath wrote:

Reserve Teams

Come on Ben
Your such a party pooper.
This was building into a great story and you had to ruin it with Facts.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Ben,
As you stated regarding Part "v. Football Federation SA in its sole and absolute discretion may in extenuating circumstances provide an exemption for a player to play who does not meet the above criteria.", I thought this particular part was not relevant as the individual player did in fact meet the criteria and played 4 games. Now, back to part "i. To be eligible to play in the finals series players must have played a minimum of six (6) games with the Reserve Team during the home an away season. Clubs are permitted to use players from their Community or junior teams without them having to play the required number of games as outlined above." As the individual player only played 4 games does not qualify for the finals and therefore an exemption should not have been given by the FFSA. Finally, give a thought to those players who in the past sustained a season ending ACL injury at the beginning of a season and then returning fit the following season just prior to the finals and were unable to get an exemption to play because they did not meet the criteria. So Ben, you tell me if it is fair. Grant one person an exemption and not the others.