AUWFC season 2019-2020

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: AUWFC season 2019-2020

Post by In the way »

Ben Rath wrote:
In the way wrote:does it have anything to do with having more chance of being noticed for National team selection if you play for a club in the Eastern states ?
She didnt want to play the full WL season last season so she could play for the Crows in AFLW. Adelaide weren’t ok with that but Brisbane were. I reckon the real question is why she hasn’t stayed at Brisbane.
I am only guessing here Ben, maybe Brisbane hesitated for too long to sign here ?
Or she feels she has more chance of being selected for the Matildas by playing in Victoria ?
Reading an a recent article, she has nothing left to prove in AFLW, having won two premierships, and cannot go any further in that sport, her sights and whole focus are now set on getting in the Matildas squad for next years Olympic Games.
We couldve used her in the last world cup, where our weakness in the back line was exposed.( IMO )

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

In the way wrote:
Ben Rath wrote:
In the way wrote:does it have anything to do with having more chance of being noticed for National team selection if you play for a club in the Eastern states ?
She didnt want to play the full WL season last season so she could play for the Crows in AFLW. Adelaide weren’t ok with that but Brisbane were. I reckon the real question is why she hasn’t stayed at Brisbane.
I am only guessing here Ben, maybe Brisbane hesitated for too long to sign here ?
Or she feels she has more chance of being selected for the Matildas by playing in Victoria ?
Reading an a recent article, she has nothing left to prove in AFLW, having won two premierships, and cannot go any further in that sport, her sights and whole focus are now set on getting in the Matildas squad for next years Olympic Games.
We couldve used her in the last world cup, where our weakness in the back line was exposed.( IMO )
Would’ve thought that playing alongside Polkinghorne at Brisbane would be her best bet. Agree about Matildas backline weakness but another good option Liz Ralston wasnt taken to France either. I find Milicic hard to read. Stajic never seemed keen to pick Jenna.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Ben Rath wrote:
Would’ve thought that playing alongside Polkinghorne at Brisbane would be her best bet. Agree about Matildas backline weakness but another good option Liz Ralston wasnt taken to France either. I find Milicic hard to read. Stajic never seemed keen to pick Jenna.
Could be a calculated risk.

Mel Andreatta was Roar coach but also Matilda's assistant last year, so the degrees of separation through to the Matilda's was shorter. Andreatta is now no longer there so the tangible benefit has been weakened.

Hopgood is on the shortlist to replace Milicic, so the tangible benefit now resides there.

Also, Emily Gielnik's progression would potentially appeal to Jenna: Roar > Victory > 1st World Cup & Bayern.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

Lucas Leiva wrote:
Ben Rath wrote:
Could be a calculated risk.

Mel Andreatta was Roar coach but also Matilda's assistant last year, so the degrees of separation through to the Matilda's was shorter. Andreatta is now no longer there so the tangible benefit has been weakened.

Hopgood is on the shortlist to replace Milicic, so the tangible benefit now resides there.

Also, Emily Gielnik's progression would potentially appeal to Jenna: Roar > Victory > 1st World Cup & Bayern.
All excellent points. Milicic coaching for Olympics though and after that it's a long time until next big international tournament.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

It
Last edited by sportsbird on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

sportsbird wrote:It appears Ivan is at his tricks again by offering contracts to injured players.
It would be interesting to see how long these two players last.
Its unfortunate because it is a short season and these injured players no fault of their own are taking spots away from fit players.
Here we go...

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

nathanburns15 wrote:
sportsbird wrote:It appears Ivan is at his tricks again by offering contracts to injured players.
It would be interesting to see how long these two players last.
Its unfortunate because it is a short season and these injured players no fault of their own are taking spots away from fit players.
Here we go...
How weird. Since you wrote this she has edited her post so it now just has 'It'

Starting to become obvious that sportsbird has issues. Maybe time for us to acknowledge this and rather than bother correcting her lies every time we just let it go. Not like anybody actually believes her.

Poor person needs to get help.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Sorry Guys, I was in the process of editing my comments when my computer crashed. However, I still back my comments that Ivan has offered contracts to players still carrying injuries.
As for you Ben, you should think twice about commenting on people requiring help, poor choice of words.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

sportsbird wrote:Sorry Guys, I was in the process of editing my comments when my computer crashed. However, I still back my comments that Ivan has offered contracts to players still carrying injuries.
As for you Ben, you should think twice about commenting on people requiring help, poor choice of words.
You’ve stood by comments that have been proven to be false. Doing it again is meaningless.

Also not going to be lectured by someone like you who lies and smears people about what I should and shouldn’t say.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

Ben Rath wrote:
sportsbird wrote:Sorry Guys, I was in the process of editing my comments when my computer crashed. However, I still back my comments that Ivan has offered contracts to players still carrying injuries.
You’ve stood by comments that have been proven to be false. Doing it again is meaningless.

Also not going to be lectured by someone like you who lies and smears people about what I should and shouldn’t say.
But if you like we can move on. I can apologize for the comment, acknowedge you don't have issues and go back to calling out your lies.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

Ok Sportsbird. I'll bite.

Who of the named contracted players is carrying injuries that makes them unsuitable?

And please confirm whether this is your opinion as a registered medical/ sport science professional or innuendo.

Armadillo
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Armadillo »

I heard Condon may need surgery on a knee injury but can’t confirm if this was just gossip

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Of the injuries/niggles I am aware of, only one existed prior to signing of a contract. All others happened after the players were contracted. So I’m not sure blaming Ivan for signing injured players is appropriate.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

From what I am reading there players who have played injury free all through winter season in the WNPL , and when selected to train with W league squad they get injured ? - if that is the case, something is not right.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

So Ivan doesn’t sign injured players, (for which he’s been criticised) but then players pick up niggles or injuries in training or trial matches (which happens all the time btw) and he gets blamed- the guy can’t win. Sorry but it sounds like maybe people are looking for something to complain about?

It’s a crazy preseason for a variety of reasons. The girls are happy. They like Ivan and each other. Let’s all just calm down and see how it pans out. I’m fairly optimistic. Be supportive.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

juniorsupporter wrote:So Ivan doesn’t sign injured players, (for which he’s been criticised) but then players pick up niggles or injuries in training or trial matches (which happens all the time btw) and he gets blamed- the guy can’t win. Sorry but it sounds like maybe people are looking for something to complain about?

It’s a crazy preseason for a variety of reasons. The girls are happy. They like Ivan and each other. Let’s all just calm down and see how it pans out. I’m fairly optimistic. Be supportive.

Society in general or the tall poppy syndrome
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

WOW. The comments keep coming thick and fast.

Sportsbird has a thick skin. Keep up the hard work.

For the others replying, if you have an alternate view, then please go ahead and enlighten me/us. Irrespective of your counter pro AUFC-W and Ivan stance, it'll be god to see what you have to say in reply. Sportsbird at least gives a thought out assessment and I suspect has a good understanding of the women's football scene.

I have no views either way other than assessing pour local talent from start to the end of the W League. What I have seen is our local girls (most) drop off dramatically at the mid way point. W League is a huge step up from WNPL and the local players fall away. Seen it too often.

Again, give us your counter views other than vilifying someone.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

billy the kid wrote:WOW. The comments keep coming thick and fast.

Sportsbird has a thick skin. Keep up the hard work.

For the others replying, if you have an alternate view, then please go ahead and enlighten me/us. Irrespective of your counter pro AUFC-W and Ivan stance, it'll be god to see what you have to say in reply. Sportsbird at least gives a thought out assessment and I suspect has a good understanding of the women's football scene.

I have no views either way other than assessing pour local talent from start to the end of the W League. What I have seen is our local girls (most) drop off dramatically at the mid way point. W League is a huge step up from WNPL and the local players fall away. Seen it too often.

Again, give us your counter views other than vilifying someone.
Seriously? You a personal friend of hers?

In the same post youve told sportsbird to keep up the hard work and then tell people not to vilify anyone. Obviously you haven't worked out that we criticise her precisely because she does vilify people, does so by telling lies, has been caught out doing it, and then comes back and does it again.

If she or anyone just gave opinions they wouldnt cop it. Certainly not from me at any rate.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

sportsbird is the female version of GIAE.

Maybe its the same person!
:shock:
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

My observations.

The major downfall of this forum is that people are quick to pick faults with the author and rarely focus on the issues being discussed. worried about duplicate identities. Worried about "who they are". Sportsbird (male or female) is not a friend of mine (we're all anonymous, I think. Sportsbird offers points of discussions and all I read in reply are attacks art her/his credibility. Vilification by Sportsbird? Sadly, you're wrong. Sportsbird attaches a name to a decision ie Ivan and selection of players. Unless you think otherwise, he is the head coach. He is the decision maker. And they do recruit injured players. Sportsbird is pointing out the facts. And yes, the coach is the focus. No issues with that for me.

May be you are all the ones that have a vested interest in discrediting Sportsbird.

I prefer to listen to someone's views. After all, in 10 or so years, AUFC-W are still yet to lift the cup. Players of note do not return. Yet we have the same local players being recruited. Insanity f wee believe the same path will lead to a different result.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

billy the kid wrote:My observations.

The major downfall of this forum is that people are quick to pick faults with the author and rarely focus on the issues being discussed. worried about duplicate identities. Worried about "who they are". Sportsbird (male or female) is not a friend of mine (we're all anonymous, I think. Sportsbird offers points of discussions and all I read in reply are attacks art her/his credibility. Vilification by Sportsbird? Sadly, you're wrong. Sportsbird attaches a name to a decision ie Ivan and selection of players. Unless you think otherwise, he is the head coach. He is the decision maker. And they do recruit injured players. Sportsbird is pointing out the facts. And yes, the coach is the focus. No issues with that for me.

May be you are all the ones that have a vested interest in discrediting Sportsbird.

I prefer to listen to someone's views. After all, in 10 or so years, AUFC-W are still yet to lift the cup. Players of note do not return. Yet we have the same local players being recruited. Insanity f wee believe the same path will lead to a different result.
Deliberately lying should not be acceptable and sure as hell isn't just a 'fault'.

This is the new morality is it? Get stuck in to people who call out other peoples lies but not the liars themselves?

You telling people they're wrong is a waste of your time because your perception of right and wrong is meaningless.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

Michael wrote:sportsbird is the female version of GIAE.

Maybe its the same person!
:shock:
No she's from a different part of England.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Wasn't last season AU's most successful year to date?

I thought they made some good progress, yet Ivan was still shot down?
Why do we deserve to win the W League any more than any other team?
Is our local comp the strongest in the country?
Are we throwing more money at the W League set up than any other club?

Why do people have this thought that we should be winning the championship year in year out?
If only Ivan wasn't the coach...

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

paul merson wrote:

Wasn't last season AU's most successful year to date?

I thought they made some good progress, yet Ivan was still shot down?
Why do we deserve to win the W League any more than any other team?
Is our local comp the strongest in the country?
Are we throwing more money at the W League set up than any other club?

Why do people have this thought that we should be winning the championship year in year out?
If only Ivan wasn't the coach...
Recruit players from bigger states to get better results = criticize for not playing locals.
Give locals a chance and dont finish high up = criticize for not doing better
-
Sign players that might not be 100% fit = criticize for signing 'injured' players
Don't sign those players = criticize them not being included
-
Sign Jenna last season would have been = why take a player who couldnt complete whole season?
Don't sign Jenna = why didnt you sign Jenna?
-
Any player goes to another club for any reason (cos this never happens anywhere else in football) = they don't want to play for Ivan
Players from other clubs sign for AU = has nothing to do with Ivan recruiting them
-
Change coach every season = why cant they stick with the one coach?
Stick with the one coach = why don't they change the coach?

Being so stupid and vindictive to imagine people can't see through that BS = sportsbird

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

That's the beauty of an opinion. We all have one and sometimes we are right or we are found to be incorrect.

I've been sent back to my corner.

Keep it up Sportsbird. The reaction indicates you've gotten close to the truth. Which others dismiss as lies.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

billy the kid wrote:That's the beauty of an opinion. We all have one and sometimes we are right or we are found to be incorrect.

I've been sent back to my corner.

Keep it up Sportsbird. The reaction indicates you've gotten close to the truth. Which others dismiss as lies.
Perhaps the reaction is more akin to someone finally calling her out on her lies. The Emma Checker issue is a case in point where she didn't accept Emma's own words and reasons for moving because it didn't suite her agenda. Opinion is one thing, malicious gossip is another.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

QuodUnusQuiPulsat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by QuodUnusQuiPulsat »

Another wooden spoon incoming

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

The major downfall of this thread is that assertions have been made by SB regarding the contracting of injured players to the exclusion of presumably fit and otherwise comparable players. In itself this is a reasonable basis for complaint given the short season etc.

What is very unreasonable is the shade that this "opinion" puts on all the squad because of its vagueness.

Hence my question to SB - which will be repeated - who are these injured players that have taken up scarce playing contracts? Put up or...

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

KRO wrote:The major downfall of this thread is that assertions have been made by SB regarding the contracting of injured players to the exclusion of presumably fit and otherwise comparable players. In itself this is a reasonable basis for complaint given the short season etc.

What is very unreasonable is the shade that this "opinion" puts on all the squad because of its vagueness.

Hence my question to SB - which will be repeated - who are these injured players that have taken up scarce playing contracts? Put up or...
KRO, I am confused. Some people on this forum attack me for naming players and now you would like me to name them. hmm, you cant win.
What I can tell you it's an interstate defender, GK and a local midfielder. More to come if certain players are given contracts.
One injury prone player who was carrying an injury prior to being contracted for the last two seasons was not offered this coming 2019-2020 season. Two years an injured player has taken up a spot from a fit player. When will he understand that he cannot offer contracts to players suspected of carrying injuries with such a short season.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

sportsbird wrote:
KRO wrote:The major downfall of this thread is that assertions have been made by SB regarding the contracting of injured players to the exclusion of presumably fit and otherwise comparable players. In itself this is a reasonable basis for complaint given the short season etc.

KRO, I am confused. Some people on this forum attack me for naming players and now you would like me to name them. hmm, you cant win.
What I can tell you it's an interstate defender, GK and a local midfielder. More to come if certain players are given contracts.
One injury prone player who was carrying an injury prior to being contracted for the last two seasons was not offered this coming 2019-2020 season. Two years an injured player has taken up a spot from a fit player. When will he understand that he cannot offer contracts to players suspected of carrying injuries with such a short season.
A post that sums sportsbird up. So desperate to attack the coach (did he turn you down or something?) that she writes this rubbish.

But seeing as she has one fan who once put 'truth' and 'sportsbird" in the same sentence, let's take this silliness apart properly.

1] Injured players do not take up the spot of fit players. Every season there is a large train on squad who can be brought in when a players been injured. Players that weren't in the initial squad have been brought in during the season every year. Its been happening before Ivan and (shock) happens at all other WLeague clubs too.
2] Players that may have an injury which may come good during the season would not rather be left out of the squad. This is what they aspire to and they want being selected in the squad on their C.V. To use their selections which they crave to try to score cheap points is pretty pathetic, even for sportsbird.
3] Perhaps the biggest shock of all. AUFC have fitness/conditioning staff. Trainers. You know, people who assess, monitor injuries and take care of players that have them. Help them get better, give them specific programmes, etc. Can you credit it?

What is even more amazing [and this has to underline that sportsbird permanently lives in the gutter] is that the player shes called injury-prone to try and make her point is the same player she was happy to burn when the player was properly allowed under ffsa rules to play in wnpl reserves finals. If you missed sportsbirds disgusting post, she said that player was ineligible, copy and pasted all ffsa rules about whether the player was eligible, except the rule that showed she was eligible.

one thing sportsbird gets right. Its when she says she can't win. but the reason is wrong. Truth is it's because shes a pathetic individual.