WNPL Relegation

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

WNPL Relegation

Post by sportsbird »

It is believed discussions have been held within the FFSA football dept that it will withdraw the relegation structure at the conclusion of the season should the NTC finish bottom of the ladder. The FFSA want's to avoid the embarrassment of the NTC development program being a failure, especially following the poor performance in the 2019 NTC challenge tournament held in Canberra.
To enable a lifeline to NTC to remain in the 2020 WNPL, the FFSA will present to the clubs that Salisbury United having finished top of the ladder in 2019 will not be offered a promotion to the 2020 WNPL competition as they will not be able to fulfill the requirement under the FFSA WNPL Competition rules.

Also, can anyone confirm if an agreement between the FFSA & Adelaide United WFC is in place that a minimum number of players from the NTC are offered contracts to play for lady reds. Apparently, it is rumored the FFSA pay for the contracts to appear the NTC development pathway is successful. Interesting!!!!!!!!!.

Galey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: WNPL Relegation

Post by Galey »

sportsbird wrote:It is believed discussions have been held within the FFSA football dept that it will withdraw the relegation structure at the conclusion of the season should the NTC finish bottom of the ladder. The FFSA want's to avoid the embarrassment of the NTC development program being a failure, especially following the poor performance in the 2019 NTC challenge tournament held in Canberra.
To enable a lifeline to NTC to remain in the 2020 WNPL, the FFSA will present to the clubs that Salisbury United having finished top of the ladder in 2019 will not be offered a promotion to the 2020 WNPL competition as they will not be able to fulfill the requirement under the FFSA WNPL Competition rules.

Also, can anyone confirm if an agreement between the FFSA & Adelaide United WFC is in place that a minimum number of players from the NTC are offered contracts to play for lady reds. Apparently, it is rumored the FFSA pay for the contracts to appear the NTC development pathway is successful. Interesting!!!!!!!!!.
Pretty sure the 2019 NTC challenge only started yesterday...the girls flew out to Canberra Sunday. Pretty early to be calling it a failure. I believe in their opening two games they have 1 loss and one win

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Thanks Galey, it was meant to be the under 14/15 team.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Interesting discussion about relegation.

If this was to occur then someone like the longstanding and respectable Cumberland should and would be very angry. I cannot blame them. They are a club with juniors, supporters and a long history vs NTC that has little in the way of a club and junior set up with community connections and offers little. Amending the riles to save face is also abysmal and sets up for other clubs facing relegation in the future to wave the flag and say “Why are we different to the NTC”. The WNPL is not the place for the NTC. As I said elsewhere, NTC players should play for a WNPL team on Friday. NTC can set up itself in another comp and play as a compete unit there. The WNPL is not a playground and to treat it that way is insulting to the WNPL teams.

For me if NTC finish bottom then out they go. To do otherwise will compromise the concept of the relegation. On that note, any team that comes in to the WNPL should be protected from relegation for 2 years to enable them to set up and compete.

Now about the W League and players. Are you kidding me? We will get smashed each and every week AND we will only be able to attract the internationals that are looking to top up their tan and nothing else. How many legs up does the NTC require? I suspect it’s the disquiet from many parents who after a couple or so years in the NTC where they are afforded the mantra that “they are the best and will make their way to the national team,” aren’t realising that dream or promise and sit back and say “after all that money we spent is the WNPL the best that’s come out of it?” I’ve heard it being said. Many times.

Galey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Galey »

sportsbird wrote:Thanks Galey, it was meant to be the under 14/15 team.
In that case I completely agree with you

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

billy the kid wrote:Interesting discussion about relegation.

If this was to occur then someone like the longstanding and respectable Cumberland should and would be very angry. I cannot blame them. They are a club with juniors, supporters and a long history vs NTC that has little in the way of a club and junior set up with community connections and offers little. Amending the riles to save face is also abysmal and sets up for other clubs facing relegation in the future to wave the flag and say “Why are we different to the NTC”. The WNPL is not the place for the NTC. As I said elsewhere, NTC players should play for a WNPL team on Friday. NTC can set up itself in another comp and play as a compete unit there. The WNPL is not a playground and to treat it that way is insulting to the WNPL teams.

For me if NTC finish bottom then out they go. To do otherwise will compromise the concept of the relegation. On that note, any team that comes in to the WNPL should be protected from relegation for 2 years to enable them to set up and compete.

Now about the W League and players. Are you kidding me? We will get smashed each and every week AND we will only be able to attract the internationals that are looking to top up their tan and nothing else. How many legs up does the NTC require? I suspect it’s the disquiet from many parents who after a couple or so years in the NTC where they are afforded the mantra that “they are the best and will make their way to the national team,” aren’t realising that dream or promise and sit back and say “after all that money we spent is the WNPL the best that’s come out of it?” I’ve heard it being said. Many times.
Great discussion.

The NTC should in theory be in WNPL, but on performance, not as a gift.
I feel they need a smaller squad along with the younger groups.
Too many depleting club land.

In reality many current NTC players would not make a WNPL side if they were in club land, there are some quality ladies that certainly would.

This is not different to the boys now and 10 plus years ago.
Many just aren't up to the level and this is not the programs fault as many in club land won't make WNPL level as you can only accommodate so many.

Skillaroos/NTC offers an opportunity that in reality is not for everyone. It is good for some, yet some develop and surpass them staying in club land.

Galey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Galey »

[/quote]
Great discussion.

In reality many current NTC players would not make a WNPL side if they were in club land, there are some quality ladies that certainly would.

Many just aren't up to the level and this is not the programs fault as many in club land won't make WNPL level as you can only accommodate so many.

Skillaroos/NTC offers an opportunity that in reality is not for everyone. It is good for some, yet some develop and surpass them staying in club land.[/quote]

+1

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

BAGGIO 15 wrote:
billy the kid wrote:Interesting discussion about relegation.

Great discussion.

Skillaroos/NTC offers an opportunity that in reality is not for everyone. It is good for some, yet some develop and surpass them staying in club land.
+2

brushmancity
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by brushmancity »

Not forgetting that FFSA make up their own rules to suit. So do not be surprised if no relegation or promotion even though Salisbury United are a good side and in reality come somewhere in between NPL and Div 1 for arguments sake let us say State league.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Salisbury United pushing very hard to fill junior sides to fulfill the criteria and get promoted. Will be interesting what reasoning FFSA give if they don't promote them.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

nathanburns15 wrote:Salisbury United pushing very hard to fill junior sides to fulfill the criteria and get promoted. Will be interesting what reasoning FFSA give if they don't promote them.
Hi nathanburns15,
Firstly, no need to jump the gun with Salisbury United filling the junior teams. Salisbury United will not be able fill their junior sides. Salisbury Inter who are in close proximity have already attracted and cemented their junior sides. Unsure where Salisbury Utd going to seek their players. Unfortunately, I believe Salisbury United will not be able to fulfill the FFSA WNPL requirements by next year. What I have heard on the rumor mill is that the club may look at obtaining junior names and filling out the required teams knowing they will not play in 2020. Currently this loophole exists and has been exploited in the past.
Secondly, do we need another club entering the WNPL exposed to the same humiliation defeats experienced by Campbelltown a couple of years ago. Salisbury United were given an absolute hiding during the Semi Cup Round against West Adelaide losing by 9 goals. It could have been much worse as a lot of goals were missed.
Finally, if the NTC do finish bottom and Salisbury United miraculously fill their junior teams, I cannot see the FFSA allowing the NTC to be relegated as it would be a huge embarrassment to the development program. What I believe is the FFSA will introduce a ten team format without relegation zone which will allow the NTC to remain in the WNPL.
watch out for this space.

Rascal21
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Rascal21 »

Then what do you do with Salisbury United? They are not good enough for WNPL but they are too good for Div 1.....

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Rascal21 wrote:Then what do you do with Salisbury United? They are not good enough for WNPL but they are too good for Div 1.....
This is why abolishing the State League in 2019 - rather than nurturing / supporting it through a tough spell - was the wrong decision.

gunners14
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by gunners14 »

Agree with the fact the FFSA won’t allow the NTC to be relegated. With two northern suburbs teams so close together it would be a great task for United to meet the requirements and field junior teams.

I think the table shows they shouldn’t be in division 1, although wasn’t the state league made up of the division 1 teams?

Although United were thumped by Westies 9-0, there have been similar results in the premier league this year. I would say that they would be competitive to a degree, but only with the bottom 4 of the league.

grandparent
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by grandparent »

This could have all been fixed last season if the FFSA had allowed Cumberland to stay up and invited Salisbury United into the comp and had a 10 team comp in season 2019.
Even if Cumberland didn't stay up I am sure they would have retained a lot of their players if the FFSS had left the Division 1 comp as State League.

somedays
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by somedays »

grandparent wrote:This could have all been fixed last season if the FFSA had allowed Cumberland to stay up and invited Salisbury United into the comp and had a 10 team comp in season 2019.
Even if Cumberland didn't stay up I am sure they would have retained a lot of their players if the FFSS had left the Division 1 comp as State League.

Totally agree!!

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

NTC out. Changing the rules to suit will make a mockery of the decisions made in the past to relegate and deny teams promotion. The NTC is not for the WNPL.

gunners14 wrote:Agree with the fact the FFSA won’t allow the NTC to be relegated. With two northern suburbs teams so close together it would be a great task for United to meet the requirements and field junior teams.

I think the table shows they shouldn’t be in division 1, although wasn’t the state league made up of the division 1 teams?

Although United were thumped by Westies 9-0, there have been similar results in the premier league this year. I would say that they would be competitive to a degree, but only with the bottom 4 of the league.

captfantastic
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by captfantastic »

+1

Red Dragon 53
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Red Dragon 53 »

Its all good to talk the talk on this subject but unless a united group action by all representatives of clubs and teams concerned officially address the FFSA and make a stand I do not see any resolve on this ...also in saying this don't jump the gun until FFSA officially announces its plans for 2020...I do agree with one post that since the ending of State League the standard in the Div 1 competition is well below what the State League was...my view is Club teams are fractured in being in separate divisions being Div 1 and whatever Div the so called Reserves are playing in...player movement has to be the biggest I've seen,,some clubs decimated of players...even Juniors are affected...Just expressing my opinion as I feel maybe there are others thinking the same..

gunners14
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by gunners14 »

Although a little too late for FFSA NTC, a convincing win for them yesterday!

grandparent
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by grandparent »

I know Salisbury Inter had players missing but where has the form been for the NTC team all season. They certainly played the better football on Saturday Night.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

grandparent wrote:I know Salisbury Inter had players missing but where has the form been for the NTC team all season. They certainly played the better football on Saturday Night.

NTC lost several games that the may have won had they been better in front of goal.
They played some good football, in particular towards the end of the season.

captfantastic
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by captfantastic »

I agree, but that same argument applies to many of the sides in the bottom half.

They also suffered some huge losses others didn't - 10-1 and 8-2 come to mind so problems at both ends of the ground?

Hard to comprehend them finishing last when so many players have been in the program for up to 5 seasons with the best coaches, best support, best opportunities etc

Some of those parents would have forked out many thousands $$ over the years for this pathway opportunity.