coffs nationals - same old story

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

captfantastic
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

coffs nationals - same old story

Post by captfantastic »

So another year of watching SA perform at the Coffs Nationals for the u14 and 15's girls.
Same old story - outclassed by just about every other team, we look slow, technically deficient, unable to absorb pressure - especially the u14's. The 15's are the same but have been masked by a couple of fortunate goals.

Will there ever be any changes made by FFSA to these programs? Same format - other states are not as strict to the curriculum, they actually play to win here not just participate, same coaches for how many years now? does anyone pay any attention or are we just ticking boxes?

1 day to go - c'mon SA turn it around

neits/burgo/shadow
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: coffs nationals - same old story

Post by neits/burgo/shadow »

Love it when people join the forum and use their first post to throw some shade :clown: :roll:

[insert sarcasm]

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Qld d SA today to take out the title in u/14s, if that was the grand final ? not bad effort.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

In the way wrote:Qld d SA today to take out the title in u/14s, if that was the grand final ? not bad effort.
Not a grand final.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

Captn asks a fair question.

The 14/15 Girls results at the nationals havent been flash for a few years now. This will in turn feed into the reserves/ NPL levels in coming seasons.

Although I am not close enough to offer insights, there does appear to be a formula being followed through STIC/ NTC which is repeating the previous results.

Time to change the variables?

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gee_kay »

Interesting post regarding curriculum and how other states aren't strict on it. If anything I think that it's the other way around. Having seen both FVNTC and FFSA NTC play in NPLW comps over the last few years I have thought that FFSA are a lot more direct and play to win as they have the risk of relegation in SA. The FV NTC on the other hand have no risk of relegation and can be more brave in the way they play
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

hudsona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hudsona »

We have around 4000 female participants here in SA.
NNSW have just over 11,000 and NSW Metro have over 54,000

Does this put us at a disadvantage from the get go?

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

SA has always had a lot less numbers of junior boys and girls compared to the eastern states and generally they have done pretty well considering.

But the numbers of overseas juniors in a lot of other countries are at a much greater level than the eastern states so we as a nation should remember this when we play at international levels.

And then you have the other issues around football in Australia - ie $'s, population, culture and other sporting options which have an impact also.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

hudsona wrote:We have around 4000 female participants here in SA.
NNSW have just over 11,000 and NSW Metro have over 54,000

Does this put us at a disadvantage from the get go?
Good question, that will never change, will always be the case, so we have to find a way to work with what we have available, not use smaller population as an excuse.
There are countries with less population who have won major competitions on the International stage.
All becomes about coaching, and selection.
My question is do we need to change the path we are currently been made to follow ( FFA curriculum ) ?
With the all National development squads about to compete against each other, will be interested to see how the results go.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Qld have just introduced a talent center for the this season.
I believe the U13-14 play in the U15 NPL girls division and the older group U15-16 play in the U18 NPL girls ages groups.
All clubs are provided with the NPL curriculum as a guide to base session plans around.

This is how a friend in QLD has described it.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

My query is why do we bother with NTC teams in the first place? Aust rules, cricket, netball etc dont have "academy" or quasi state teams playing in junior comps. Juniors play for their clubs and the identified talent is selected and play in their respective national championships. Why does football persist with this contrived pathway?

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

KRO wrote:My query is why do we bother with NTC teams in the first place? Aust rules, cricket, netball etc dont have "academy" or quasi state teams playing in junior comps. Juniors play for their clubs and the identified talent is selected and play in their respective national championships. Why does football persist with this contrived pathway?
We should be allowing our best potential talent to train more than twice a week, which a lot of clubs / junior teams just can't offer (due to access to coaches, facilities, etc). This is one small but important benefit to the pathway programs.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

KRO wrote:My query is why do we bother with NTC teams in the first place? Aust rules, cricket, netball etc dont have "academy" or quasi state teams playing in junior comps. Juniors play for their clubs and the identified talent is selected and play in their respective national championships. Why does football persist with this contrived pathway?
+1
we should try it for one year, we might surprise ourselves.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Good discussions and sensible options up for discussion. Keep doing the same stuff for many years (a decade or more) and we always fall short. Insanity if we continue this way. The results permeate across the board. NTC/W-League and the like. The only change is to the cost. That always increases. Numbers of participants, training schedules and the like are good for thought but it’s the quality which is lacking. The fact is that the programs may be ok but those delivering it are below par. Far below. No disrespect to them as people but they don’t cut it. NTC program needs a reboot and something like the old sasi program (with a far better coach) where the players play with their WNPL sides and then game with their NTC sides is worth a re-visit.

Burgo, it’s not about the shade it’s about putting sunlight onto a very concerning situation.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Are the Skillaroos/NTC taking to many out of club land.

I believe the 3 squads have up to 26 players each.

I believe its to many.

Thoughts.......

ALVAROS
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by ALVAROS »

Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.