FFA issues formal apology to Stajcic

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

M@rvin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

FFA issues formal apology to Stajcic

Post by M@rvin »

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/ ... 51t3b.html

By Dominic Bossi

May 31, 2019 — 10.23am

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Send via Email

Normal text sizeaLarger text sizeaVery large text sizea

Alen Stajcic has received a formal apology from Football Federation Australia for the manner in which the organisation's hierarchy handled his abrupt dismissal as Matildas coach in January.

Almost five months after Stajcic was stood down, FFA announced the former Matildas coach had not breached the terms of his contract and his dismissal did not relate to serious behavioural issues.

Stajcic held a press conference in February after his sacking from the Matildas job.

Stajcic held a press conference in February after his sacking from the Matildas job.Credit:AAP

On Friday morning, FFA sought to clarify Stajcic's dismissal as not being a "sacking" while distancing themselves from the behaviour of baord member Heather Reid who fuelled the public innuendo around Stajcic's performance and behaviour.

Reid penned a personal apology to Stajcic for her public and private comments made in the wake of his dismissal, suggesting the public would be "shocked" if they knew the truth and telling the media Stajcic would never work in women's soccer again.

"I apologise unreservedly for the damage, distress and hurt that I have caused to Alen Stajcic as a professional football coach and long-time servant to, and advocate for, Australian and women’s football. I understand that my conduct in making public and private statements may have caused serious damage to Mr Stajcic’s reputation, both in Australia and internationally," Reid said in a statement.

"I also, at around this time, sent personal communications to a number of people including various members of the media, in which I suggested that, if the whole truth could be told, Mr Stajcic would never work again in women’s football.

"I understand also that these communications ended up in the hands of other journalists who have used my words to compound the speculation and innuendo as to the reason why Mr Stajcic’s employment was terminated.

"I withdraw my statements entirely and unconditionally. Mr Stajcic’s contract was terminated by FFA, by a decision of the FFA board, of which I am a member. FFA elected to terminate Mr Stajcic’s employment contract by it making a payment in lieu of notice.

"Mr Stajcic’s contract was not terminated by FFA for breach of contract by Mr Stajcic, or because of any misconduct on Mr Stajcic’s part. I accept that I was wrong to imply otherwise."

Earlier, FFA reitereated Stajcic's contract was terminated with a payment and not sacked for any breach of his contract.

"Alen’s contract was terminated by FFA exercising its contractual right of termination by making a pre-agreed payment in lieu of notice. FFA’s decision to do this was reached simply because its Board formed the view, following a process undertaken by management, that the Matildas would benefit from a new coach for the FIFA World Cup in France," the FFA statement read.

"FFA acknowledges that some of the speculation about the termination of Alen’s contract was caused by statements made by one of its directors, Heather Reid.

"These statements were not made on behalf of FFA and did not reflect the decision of the Board or the reasons why it made that decision. Heather has withdrawn those comments and issued an apology to Alen for having made them."

Stajcic had been in talks for months with FFA over the manner of his termination, with lawyers discussing the ramifications of the way he was dismissed as Matildas coach.

Aside from one high-profile press conference, the now Central Coast Mariners boss remained silent on the issue while the legal discussions took place.

He refused to discuss the Reid statement or the matter in general on Friday, saying he was now focused on rebuilding his career in the men's game after the ''hurtful'' and damaging period at the start of this year.

''I am trying to look forward and focus on what is now my career as coach of Central Coast Mariners. I can't really speak about it [the Matildas dismissal] and I want to concentrate on building up the squad, signing players and making the Mariners a competitive team next A-League season,'' Stajcic said.

Stajcic was replaced by ex-Socceroos assistant coach Ante Milicic as Matildas coach, with the Women's World Cup beginning next week.

Stajcic's sacking split Australian soccer, with a whispering campaign and plenty of high-profile figures briefing against him during a period of seismic upheaval for the women's national team.

Several players came out in his defence and there was a month of ugly claim and counter-claim about the culture around the team, exacerbated by the unprecedented involvement of Our Watch, an organisation which campaigns against violence against women.

Stajcic supporters claimed he had been the victim of a witch hunt, with FFA claiming at the time it had been forced to take action.

Milicic will coach the Matildas early Sunday morning when they take on the Netherlands in their final warm-up game before opening their World Cup match against Italy in Valenciennes, northern France, on June 9. Stajcic will no doubt be an interested observer.

With Michael Lynch
The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible. It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work.

George Graham

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: FFA issues formal apology to Stajcic

Post by Bomber »

So after all the hoo-ha, innuendo, allegations and speculations, this is the best they come up with? They just wanted a new coach for the WC and that's it?

What a joke of an organization.
Ignore this signature

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

It’s a legal settlement. Both sides agreed on what would make the whole thing go away. And that’s what they did. We’ll probably never know the whole truth of it.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

juniorsupporter wrote:It’s a legal settlement. Both sides agreed on what would make the whole thing go away. And that’s what they did. We’ll probably never know the whole truth of it.
In a current world of espionage, trade secrets, nuclear arsenal speculation, satellite spying, internet hacking etc, comes the absolute necessity of secrecy to why someone lost a coaching job.
Ignore this signature

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Ridiculous, I agree. Blame the lawyers.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Is saying sorry, suppose to make everything okay ?
allegedly Get someone shafted and think it will be forgotten by saying sorry ?
Dont think so
Full impact and ramifications, on FFA, womens game, Matildas, are still being felt far and wide.
Lot of pressure on Matildas and all the staff in France anything less then a semi final placing will be unnacceptable.

SwandelPark
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SwandelPark »

Heather and all of her FFA glad waving allies need to be shown the door. Will they come out and say they were lead up the garden path? These people are in areas of influence, (Media/ex players) they also need to be held accountable.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

It’s absolutely disgusting.
As a male why would you want to be involved in this set up, let those disgraced there deal with it themselves.
They have damaged the Matilda’s brand massively.