Round 8

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Round 8

Post by juniorsupporter »

OK forumites- it's been a bit quiet around here for a couple of weeks. Lets try again.

Metro 5 - Comets 1 (Comets without two central defenders through red cards last week :shock: )

West Adelaide 4 - NTC 0. West Adelaide are in good form. NTC still struggling to step up.

Uni 2 - Salisbury 1 - I think Uni are a bit stronger across the park. Salisbury with a good spine but a few passengers. Could be a draw though.

City 4 - Fulham 0 : Fulham have picked up a couple of good players and so will avoid the 8-0 catastrophe of round 1.

OK- there are my predictions and reason behind them- anyone else?

Brewie
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Round 8

Post by Brewie »

I am with you:)

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Metro 5 Comets 1 (I'm liking Comets attitude and endeavours).
Westies 7 NTC 0 (NTC to fight for relagation with Fulham)
Uni 1 SAlisbury 3
City 3 Fulham 0 (New players? Jenna Mc returned?)

Just seen the teams. Yep Jenna back. Unbelieveable. Fulham are still dipping into the piggy bank to get them out of the relegation zone. Poor form fulham. Poor.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Metro 2-Comets 1
NTC 3- West Adelaide 0 ( :shock: )
Uni 1-Salisbury 2 ( strong stand by Salisbury who went down to 10 in 66’)
City 7- Fulham 0

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

Huge win by FFSA last night. A great response after taking a hammering from Metro last round. WA never got going and were off the pace all over the park. The young girls will take a lot of confidence out of that game.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Round 8 delivered a surprising body blow to westies. Not a draw with the NTC but a 3-0 loss. 1-0 loss or a draw may be something that someone can explain but 3-0 is different. After a stunning win against City this is a result that no one would have seen coming especially after NTC had an 8-2 loss against metro.

Other results went the way we expected.

Fulham? I think the tact taken last year to bring in the guns for hire (as so called by someone in a forum post last year when Cumby was relegated). May be time for Max to make his return to “assist John”. My question for Fulham is “what have you learned from the last 2 years?” very little. The results speak for themselves. Even the NTC and Comets are far more competitive and have semblance of a game plan and display of skill. Cumby must still be seething with their relegation as Fulham have not progressed since end of season.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

I'm surprised to see Fulham at the bottom of the ladder after 8 rounds - they have some good players.

2nd - 5th is very tight and could potentially stay that way for the rest of the season with only a few points separating them. Key players staying fit and on the park will be telling.

I think this next round of 8 games Comets and NTC will pick up many more points, especially with Comets new signing. Comets have already shown they can compete with everyone and come 1 or 2 goals short of points in most of their games so far. If NTC put out more performances like they did last Friday they could still make some progress up the ladder, they have the potential to improve at a rapid rate given how often they train and work together and their fitness levels. Fulham can also still turn it around with the squad they have especially Matilda in GK and Jenna back. The relegation battle is going to be almost as interesting as the top 4 battle.

Early days, plenty of opportunity out there for these teams.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Rightside- I agree with you about Comets (what new signing?)and NTC- they will continue to pick up points. Also agree that Fulham should be better with the players they have, however I disagree that their performances will improve. Saddens me to say that they’re my pick for wooden spoon.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

From my perspective Comets and NTC need to remain in the WNPL. Cannot feel any empathy for Fulham. Trying to save the titanic with recruits many have marginally worked last season but this year it deserves to be relegated. Salisbury United almost booted them out. Doing little to improve its lot and from what I’ve seen on the pitch John is making little inroads. Undisciplined team. Matilda in GK? Mate look at the GD from last season and this season. Comets are playing the kind of football deserving of its retention in the WNPL. Tony is developing a good well drilled team and its game style impresses me.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

billy the kid wrote:From my perspective Comets and NTC need to remain in the WNPL. Cannot feel any empathy for Fulham. Trying to save the titanic with recruits many have marginally worked last season but this year it deserves to be relegated. Salisbury United almost booted them out. Doing little to improve its lot and from what I’ve seen on the pitch John is making little inroads. Undisciplined team. Matilda in GK? Mate look at the GD from last season and this season. Comets are playing the kind of football deserving of its retention in the WNPL. Tony is developing a good well drilled team and its game style impresses me.
The new recruit is Georgie Nicola (WA to Comets).

Comets are well drilled, as expected, as the majority of the group have played WNPL together previously at Sturt Marion (under Tony?) and for the last two seasons in the State League.

Fulham are very much a new group year on year, hence less cohesion and familiarity with the coach.