Sacrifices for the Game of Women's Football

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Sacrifices for the Game of Women's Football

Post by billy the kid »

A moment to reflect on the sacrifices women playing football make when pursuing the ultimate.

In the lead up to the 2019 Women's Football World Cup, Maria Jose Rojas (Cote) is living on the breadline (as reported by the Advertiser). Unable to commit to a job to support herself, Cote is struggling whilst some Matildas are earning up to $130k (Kerr a lot more apparently). Whilst I appreciate the plight of women's sport in general, I would have thought that the problem lays with the Chilean Women's Football association. I'd expect that a player in the Chilean national squad ought to get some money from that association for preparing herself in the W league.

The article says she's heading back to Adelaide. Uni maybe?

Support (financial and other) is a worldwide problem for women's sport.

Hence why we get peeved when lower standard sport gets a huge amount of publicity and exposure compared to women's football. Exposure and publicity opens doors for sponsorship which means money.

dragons
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Sacrifices for the Game of Women's Football

Post by dragons »

and to see that the AFL-W league gets so much exposure and the standard is terrible compared to the womens National league!