WNPL Season 2019

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: WNPL Season 2019

Post by Lucas Leiva »

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/fo ... 071c9fb57a

Women’s National Premier Leagues SA soccer season set for kick-off
Rob Greenwood, The Advertiser
March 7, 2019 11:22am

Back-to-back double-winner Adelaide City has sent an ominous warning to its rivals, adding depth and quality to its already star-studded squad as it chases a rare hat-trick.

The Black and Whites swept all before them for the second-straight year in 2018 to triumph in the Women’s National Premier Leagues SA grand final and Premier Cup decider.

Midfielder Dylan Holmes said bringing in more W-League experience, plus some of the state’s best young talent, demonstrated City’s hunger ahead of Friday night’s season kick-off.

“I think we thrive on pressure,” said Holmes, an ever-present for Adelaide United in the national competition this past summer.

“We know how to handle that expectation and at the same time, we want to win more.

“This group at City is really, really special.

“It would be unbelievable to do it for the third year in-a-row and we’re not going to stop until we do.”

New coach Andrew Calderbank had re-signed Reds winger Isabel Hodgson from US college East Tennessee State and ex-United midfielder Nora Peat (Sydney University).

Teenage centre back Mikayla Vidmar would follow in the footsteps of her father and former Socceroo, Tony Vidmar, in pulling on the Black and Whites’ shirt.

Last year’s minor premier Metro United had opted for youth to replace seasoned personnel, as it looked to avenge its championship-decider defeat under incoming mentor Tony Scalzi.

Youngsters Olivia Beer (Football Federation SA NTC) and Hunter Strudwick (Campbelltown City) would battle it out for a starting spot after goalkeeper Kelly Barltrop left.

Promising winger Millie Scott had also impressed during pre-season in the absence of departed 15-goal striker Racheal Quigley.

“We played so well throughout last season, but going into that grand final we were just a little bit flat,” Metro captain Stella Rigon said.

“We’ve had some new young girls come through for this season, who will add a totally different dynamic along with a new coaching staff.

“We’re always confident going into the season that the players we have on the park can get the job done.”

Beaten preliminary finalist West Adelaide had retained the bulk of its squad and would again pin its hopes on Adelaide United duo Sarah Willacy and Emily Hodgson.

FFSA NTC would look to the likes of Reds rising star Lara Kirkby to fire its title challenge under new coach Michele Lastella, after clinching a playoff spot last campaign.

Newly-promoted Adelaide Comets would have their work cut out in their top-flight debut.

But skipper Georgia Johnson said her teammates were ready for the challenge, having stormed to the State League championship with just one defeat.

“To get promoted was an awesome feeling for the club,” Johnson, 27, said.

“We realise how big the step-up is and we’re working hard to meet the standard.

“We’re just hoping to be competitive and I think we will be.”

Recruiting six young guns from FFSA NTC, including defender Georgia Iannella and reigning goalkeeper of the year Evelyn Goldsmith, had boosted Adelaide University’s finals bid.

Fulham United scraped through a relegation playoff last season, but had added Harriet Burnett (West) and Hannah Jenkin (University) to compliment Brisbane defender Jenna McCormick.

Salisbury Inter goalkeeper Sian McLaren said a maiden top-four finish was the target for the northern suburbs outfit, which had signed one-cap Matilda Emily Condon.

“We’ve been on a journey so far,” said McLaren, ahead of her side’s third top-tier season.

“We definitely gave teams a run for their money last year, we just lacked that consistency.

“But we’ve had quite a few girls come across this year that have a good history in the game and they’re going to bring a lot of maturity and experience to our team.”

All four round-one matches will be played at the Parks, Angle Park, to coincide with International Women’s Day celebrations.

ADELAIDE CITY
Last season: Champion

Coach: Andrew Calderbank (new)

Captain: Tiarn Powell

In: Isabel Hodgson (East Tennessee State University, US), Natalie Frantzis, Alana Spirou, Mikayla Vidmar (FFSA NTC), Nora Peat (Sydney University, NSW), Yuka Sasaki (Japan)

Out: Zafiro Papanikitas (injury)

Key player: Dylan Holmes

Prediction: 1st

ADELAIDE COMETS
Last season: 1st State League

Coach: Tony Mansueto

Captain: Georgia Johnson

In: Rosie Coleman (Stirling Districts), Salma Eid (returning), Georgia Mouzakitis (Adelaide City), Eloise Steer (Urbana University, US), Andrea Stefanopoulos, Aurianne Warley (Adelaide Jaguars), Jasmine Styles, Tessa Touchette (Cumberland), Trinity Tytler-Kelly (Campbelltown), Hannah Wall (Woodside Warriors)

Out: Tahlia Eidam, Cassie Mukevski, Helena Ruggiero, Casey Webber (released)

Key player: Elise Garlick

Prediction: 8th

ADELAIDE UNIVERSITY
Last season: 5th

Coach: Kosta Jaric

Captain: Laura Johns

In: Georgia Box, Mabel Day, Evelyn Goldsmith, Georgia Iannella, Gemma Macfarlane, Meleri Mullan (FFSA NTC), Mawa Sumaoro (Comets), Milano Venter (Cumberland)

Out: Ellie Bills (Metro), Lily Bills, Amielia Ebbs, Hannah Jenkin (Fulham), Izzy Czechowicz, Ally Ladas (West Adelaide), Hayley Truskewycz (retired), Eleni Vosnakis (White City)

Key player: Evelyn Goldsmith

Prediction: 3rd

FOOTBALL FEDERATION SA NTC
Last season: 4th

Coach: Michele Lastella (new)

Captain: Zoe Tolland / Ella Tonkin

In: Inana Toovey (Comets)

Out: Olivia Beer, Millie Scott (Metro), Georgia Box, Mabel Day, Evelyn Goldsmith, Georgia Ianella, Gemma Macfarlane (University), Charlotte Grant (Future Matildas), Meleri Mullan (University), Laura Niejelke (Fulham), Aless Raschella (retired), Mikayla Vidmar (Adelaide City), Mackenzie Wegener (Salisbury Inter)

Key player: Lara Kirkby

Prediction: 5th

FULHAM UNITED
Last season: 7th

Coach: John Ebbs

Captain: Natasha Vella

In: Harriet Burnett, Micaela Quinn (West Adelaide), Amielia Ebbs, Hannah Jenkin (University), Caitlin Le Roux, Sharni Tansell (Cumberland), Laura Niejalke (FFSA NTC)

Out: Nil

Key player: Jenna McCormick

Prediction: 7th

METRO UNITED
Last season: Minor premier

Coach: Tony Scalzi (new)

Captain: Stella Rigon

In: Olivia Beer, Millie Scott (FFSA NTC), Ellie Bills (University), Hunter Strudwick (Campbelltown)

Out: Kelly Barltrop (SANFLW), Nicole Calder (Salisbury Inter), Laura Corbo (year off), Racheal Quigley, Kelsey Zafiridis (Bulleen Lions, Victoria)

Masnak
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Masnak »

Thanks for the info. :D

Any predictions for week?

Aussie19
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Aussie19 »

Masnak wrote:
Thanks for the info. :D

Any predictions for week?

City 3 - 0 NTC. City have too much firepower for NTC
Uni 1 - 4 Metro. Uni lost quite a few players, Metro still got a large bulk of key players.
Comets 1 - 3 Salisbury. Salisbury very impressive pre season with a win over Comets and also West Adelaide. Defensively Comets aren't up to scratch when it was all too easy for City in their 7-0 win
West 5 - 0 Fulham. Big quality difference between these two, should comfortably get the 3 points.

goldberg
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by goldberg »

City 3 - 2 NTC
Uni 1 - 5 Metro.
Comets 2 - 2 Salisbury.
West 2 - 1 Fulham

ldcplayer
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by ldcplayer »

City 2 - 2 NTC
Uni 2 - 1 Metro.
Comets 0 - 0 Salisbury.
West 7 - 1 Fulham

Micky444
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Micky444 »

City 2-2 NTC
Westies 3-1 Fulham
Uni 3-2 Metro
Comets 0-4 Salisbury

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

For mine....these are my predictions

City 4-2 NTC
Westies 7-1 Fulham
Uni 1-4 Metro
Comets 2-4 Salisbury

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

City 3-NTC 0
Uni 3- Metro 2
West Adelaide 3 -Fulham 1
Comets 1- Salisbury 2

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

City vs NTC 5-1
Uni vs Metro 2-2
West Adelaide vs Fulham 6-2
Comets vs Salisbury 1-4

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Results-
City 6-NTC 1
West Adelaide 4. - Fulham 1
Metro 2-Uni 2
Salisbury 2- Comets 0

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Round 1 has come and gone. International Women's Day coincided with round 1 and may I say, I was underwhelmed by the lack of exposure or promotion that IWD received at the Parks. I was probably expecting a lot more given that all games were scheduled at the Parks to celebrate this wonderful day. Maybe it happened because arrived at the ground just after kick off for the first Game.

That aside. The games presented mixed bags of results and interesting score lines.

City were up against a lacklustre and not so impressive NTC. Goals were scored by City as expected. I wrote NTC off last year after game 1 and I was made to regret that view.

West Adelaide and Fulham. With a new coach and settled side, I was expecting a comprehensive win for WA with their main goal scorers registering goals. I expect WA to hit their straps in the next 2 weeks or so. Fulham? They did press against WA and created a chance with 1 goal. Well done.

Adelaide Uni and Metro. This game reminded me of a mid-season battle between two teams vying for a top 4 spot. Uni signalled their intent early on with a goal. The game was hot and physical and played at full pace. A penalty. Yellow cards. Uni and Metro both had late chances that were thwarted by excellent keeping. Fair result.

Inter and Comets. Saw little of this one however, Comets are doing what I expected. They are competitive and will, not be the whipping girls of the WNPL. If not for a missed penalty by Comets, the score line may have ended at 1-1. It finished 2-0 however, Comets will steadily improve.

Cob webs have been blown away so let’s get down to business.

alwaysoffside
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by alwaysoffside »

SAD GAL wrote:Round 1 has come and gone. International Women's Day coincided with round 1 and may I say, I was underwhelmed by the lack of exposure or promotion that IWD received at the Parks. I was probably expecting a lot more given that all games were scheduled at the Parks to celebrate this wonderful day. Maybe it happened because arrived at the ground just after kick off for the first Game.

That aside. The games presented mixed bags of results and interesting score lines.

City were up against a lacklustre and not so impressive NTC. Goals were scored by City as expected. I wrote NTC off last year after game 1 and I was made to regret that view.

West Adelaide and Fulham. With a new coach and settled side, I was expecting a comprehensive win for WA with their main goal scorers registering goals. I expect WA to hit their straps in the next 2 weeks or so. Fulham? They did press against WA and created a chance with 1 goal. Well done.

Adelaide Uni and Metro. This game reminded me of a mid-season battle between two teams vying for a top 4 spot. Uni signalled their intent early on with a goal. The game was hot and physical and played at full pace. A penalty. Yellow cards. Uni and Metro both had late chances that were thwarted by excellent keeping. Fair result.

Inter and Comets. Saw little of this one however, Comets are doing what I expected. They are competitive and will, not be the whipping girls of the WNPL. If not for a missed penalty by Comets, the score line may have ended at 1-1. It finished 2-0 however, Comets will steadily improve.

Cob webs have been blown away so let’s get down to business.
What did the clubs do to help promote IWD ?

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

I'd imagine it was promoted via the club's social media platforms. The question was not about the clubs. Rather the opportunity that was available at the Parks last Friday night to leverage off the excellent breakfast event the day prior. What do you suggest?

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Officially half way, thoughts on the season so far?

I feel like City are almost unbeatable, but that everyone else can beat each other on any given day. Fulham, Comets and NTC have all improved lately and can push not only each other but Westies Metro Inter and Uni.

Relegation is hard to tip. If Jenna is leaving soon for OS then I think it could be Fulham. Uni will give some points to the bottom 3.

Still a few weeks before transfer deadline...

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Let's see what tonight brings. A couple of interesting match-ups. The results may make things more clear.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Never fear. There will be no relegation. Fulham can put away its tired playbook and stop its band aid mesaures. Jenna can go o/s and ponder why she isn't in the Matildas. Fulham aren't seriosu and last year were almost booted out by Salisbury United. Cumberland have a right to be peeved at Fulham. FIFO players to get them across the line whilst Cumby stayed true and were relegated. I hope Cumby get back next seasosn. And Salisbury. Fulham aren't seriosu and whilst they are experiencing a purple pacth its probably due to form slump by others.

NTC for mine are the steady improvers with Comets.

City are playimng sensational football. It's up to the rest to lift their games.

Rightside wrote:Officially half way, thoughts on the season so far?

I feel like City are almost unbeatable, but that everyone else can beat each other on any given day. Fulham, Comets and NTC have all improved lately and can push not only each other but Westies Metro Inter and Uni.

Relegation is hard to tip. If Jenna is leaving soon for OS then I think it could be Fulham. Uni will give some points to the bottom 3.

Still a few weeks before transfer deadline...

Galey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Galey »

City were anything but sensational on Friday night...Well done to West Adelaide who matched them all night and deserved their win

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

billy the kid wrote:I hope Cumby get back next season.
No chance, they are nowhere near ready. Will be Salisbury United and one other.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I would be very surprised if there was promotion or relegation at the end of this season- When they eliminated the State League, I believe that FFSA said something to the effect that there would be promotion if there was a club that was ready- I don't believe Salisbury United want to be promoted or have the junior teams underneath to achieve promotion, or enough seniors to make a reserves side. They wouldn't be able to meet the criteria for WNPL- and several of the other top sides in Div I are from clubs that already have premier league teams. I don't think any teams are going anywhere.

And West Adelaide's victory on Friday night was a tactical one IMO.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

juniorsupporter wrote:
Pass to the opposition GK and hope the ball rolls over her foot?

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

juniorsupporter wrote:When they eliminated the State League, I believe that FFSA said something to the effect that there would be promotion if there was a club that was ready- I don't believe Salisbury United want to be promoted or have the junior teams underneath to achieve promotion, or enough seniors to make a reserves side. They wouldn't be able to meet the criteria for WNPL- and several of the other top sides in Div I are from clubs that already have premier league teams. I don't think any teams are going anywhere.

I think their recruitment for the Division 1 team shows they are definitely going for promotion. They have 3 senior teams and 1 junior team so it wouldn't take much to get them up to the criteria.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

nathanburns I hope you're right. That would certainly add some spice to the last third of the season.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Interesting reading.

Any rumblings about cross team transfers?

grandparent
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by grandparent »

nathanburns15 wrote:
juniorsupporter wrote:When they eliminated the State League, I believe that FFSA said something to the effect that there would be promotion if there was a club that was ready- I don't believe Salisbury United want to be promoted or have the junior teams underneath to achieve promotion, or enough seniors to make a reserves side. They wouldn't be able to meet the criteria for WNPL- and several of the other top sides in Div I are from clubs that already have premier league teams. I don't think any teams are going anywhere.

I think their recruitment for the Division 1 team shows they are definitely going for promotion. They have 3 senior teams and 1 junior team so it wouldn't take much to get them up to the criteria.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Firstly, congratulations to Adelaide City finishing minor premiers and West Adelaide runner up.

A huge congratulations must go to Salisbury Inter and Adelaide Uni finally securing a finals birth. They have the potential to unsettle some top teams in the four.

Adelaide City should take out the final’s series going by form; however, this is not guaranteed as they have shown to be vulnerable at times.

The big talk is Adelaide Comets who have consolidated their position in the WNPL for 2020. The statistics have revealed some interesting points that Comets should be proud of.
Comets have drawn 7 games in total and drawn 6 of their last 11 games. Comets were the 4th team with the lowest scores against them. Also, in the last 11 games they had averaged a one goal loss. Comets should also be applauded for being competitive against the powerhouse teams such as Adelaide City, West Adelaide and Metro. It appears the club worked hard in the pre-season and have prepared well for the season. The coaching panel should be commended for their achievements and securing another season in the 2020 WNPL.

West Adelaide have been consistence this year but on odd occasions have been meagre. The club have beaten the top form side Adelaide City on two occasions which is a credit to the club. West Adelaide should be thrilled going into the finals with the no.1 defence team in the league. Unfortunately, goal scoring has been difficult this season and this may be the downfall leading into the final.

Fulham have shown good glimpses this season. They have shown to be in great form but has shown to be extremely poor. They need to recruit several more experience senior players to assist Jenna McCormack to mentor the young players and become competitive on a consistent basis.
NTC unfortunately have had an inconsistent season and consequently will be relegated to Div 1. NTC have several exciting and skilful players who will continue to impress other clubs should they leave the NTC program.

Finally, I left this one to last as I was in disbelief that Metro, a powerhouse club have fallen from grace missing out on this years finals berth. I was pointed out that Metro experienced significant injuries to several senior players which had affected the team especially in the midfield. However, I am unsure why the club have displayed poor form throughout the season after having heavily recruited players from NTC, Adelaide Uni & Campbelltown. Watching a few games during the year I noticed there was no cohesion between the players and the coach. I suppose this would all come out at the season end review.

Good luck to those clubs in the finals. My prediction is West Adelaide to win the final.