Rumbles in AUWFC Camp

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Rumbles in AUWFC Camp

Post by billy the kid »

The General and Sportsbird are again offering sensible discussions about the team. Selections. Performance.

This whole AFL-W cross code crap is peeving me off. It makes a mockery out of an established elite and professional world game of women's football.

Last night on the radio I heard a quote attributed to Matty Clarke (New coach of crows AFL-W) where he was asked the difference between coaching men and women. He replied "money and time" the women aren't full time professionals like the AFL men and have to juggle life and other commitments outside of their sport. Well said Matty. Time we started acting professionally.

Remember fans. Its for the good of the game. Keep doing the same and the same results will ensue.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Thank you Sportsbird for the update and Billy the Kid for the kind words.

I know there are a lot of people who read this forum but afraid to comment because of some of the comments directed back at them.
Maybe we need to be mindful and allow and encourage more people to have their say, understanding we may not all agree - more people that are involved the better.

I am surprised Jenna was knocked back. I imagine there are overseas players who are not able to commit to a full season and are still signed up.
Sign the quality players up, they could change their mind and stay with you the whole season as she is now doing.

There was a write up recently on Jenna on social media about how she was juggling Brisbane Roar and the Crows training, there was a good comment that was made on her post...

"what would you rather do, play half a dozen games in a shorten afl competition, or, play the full W league season have one last chance of being selected for the Matildas, get to play on the world stage at the World cup, or Olympics, or maybe get picked up by an overseas club.
If you don't get selected go back to afl they will still take you"

Was not long after that Jenna made the decision to play the full W league season ( bet Roar are happy )
And now they have Raso back they are a chance to take the title.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

The General wrote:Thank you Sportsbird for the update and Billy the Kid for the kind words.

I know there are a lot of people who read this forum but afraid to comment because of some of the comments directed back at them.
Maybe we need to be mindful and allow and encourage more people to have their say, understanding we may not all agree - more people that are involved the better.

I am surprised Jenna was knocked back. I imagine there are overseas players who are not able to commit to a full season and are still signed up.
Sign the quality players up, they could change their mind and stay with you the whole season as she is now doing.

There was a write up recently on Jenna on social media about how she was juggling Brisbane Roar and the Crows training, there was a good comment that was made on her post...

"what would you rather do, play half a dozen games in a shorten afl competition, or, play the full W league season have one last chance of being selected for the Matildas, get to play on the world stage at the World cup, or Olympics, or maybe get picked up by an overseas club.
If you don't get selected go back to afl they will still take you"

Was not long after that Jenna made the decision to play the full W league season ( bet Roar are happy )
And now they have Raso back they are a chance to take the title.
Jenna is playing AFLW not W-League this weekend.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I think she needs some very sage career counselling advice. Very quickly.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

that is disappointing if true - unless it is because the Crows are already struggling with injuries according to last nights news ? had to sign up a couple of basketballers to help field a competitive team.
and the Roar are guaranteed a finals spot whatever tonights result - hope she does okay.

Team lists are not up yet for W league or aflw ,

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Something I still struggle to get my head around, imagine Isaias wanting to miss training and games to play Aussie rules?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

The General wrote:that is disappointing if true - unless it is because the Crows are already struggling with injuries according to last nights news ? had to sign up a couple of basketballers to help field a competitive team.
and the Roar are guaranteed a finals spot whatever tonights result - hope she does okay.

What are the Roar thinking allowing a player to play a heavy contact sport pre finals??
I really hope nothing happens but will the Roar be happy if Jenna picks up an injury?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Their goes a Matilda's gig.
paul merson wrote:
The General wrote:that is disappointing if true - unless it is because the Crows are already struggling with injuries according to last nights news ? had to sign up a couple of basketballers to help field a competitive team.

What are the Roar thinking allowing a player to play a heavy contact sport pre finals??
I really hope nothing happens but will the Roar be happy if Jenna picks up an injury?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Congratulations to AUWFC on winning the last game of the season. But were luck to get away with a win. Roar had some many goal scoring chances if it were not for Sarah Goalkeeping.

This is my analysis of the players and rated them according to their performances throughout the season.

Local Players
Sarah Willacy - 8/10 great goalkeeping season. If it was not for Sarah, reds would not be where they are.
Offer contract for 2019-2020

Laura Johns - 7/10 Consistent and reliable defender. Only one of two local players to be proud of their performances this season.

Emma Checker - 5.5/10 - consistent but played very conservative. Needs to be more of an attacking defender. Plays back a lot.

Charlotte Grant - 5/10 Did not have enough game time but showed some promise.

Emily Condon - 4.5/10 Inconsistent season but has potential if used in the right position.

Isabel Hodgson - 4/10 Scored a goal but was not a potent forward.
No contract for 2019-2020

Georgia Campagnale - 4/10 Inconsistent season. Played in various roles but unable to secure a position.

Emily Hodgson - 4/10 She was continually exposed on her side. Showed very little resistant to the opposition team.

Dylan Holmes - 4/10 Started off well but fell away significantly. Played in different roles.

Kahlia Hogg - 3/10 Injured throughout the season and when she finally played showed little potential.

Georgia Iannella - 3/10 Played very little. Was pushed aside easily when she did come on, needs to bulk up to assist with her size.

Meleri Mullan - N/A Injured

Grace Abbey - N/A Injured
No contract for 2019-2020, to many injuries in the last two seasons.

Chelsie Dawber - N/A Injured
Offer contract for 2019-2020, has potential but is proned to injury

Evelyn Goldsmith - N/A Did not play
Offer contract for 2019-2020 as back up goalkeeper

Sian McLaren - N/A Did not Play

Interstate
Michelle Heyman - 4/10 Only scored one goal from a penalty. A big expectation but a huge let down. This maybe due to the issues with coach.
No contract for 2019-2020, however she will not be returning anyway if she is offered a contract.

Internationals
Veronica Latsko - 9/10 Great season. Fantastic attacking player. Should win the club champion.
Definitely offer contract for 2019-2020, However will not be returning unless she is not offered a contract from another W-League clubs

Amber Brooks - 8/10 A solid and reliable defender.
Offer contract for 2019-2020, However will not be returning unless she is not offered a contract from another W-League clubs

Gunnhildur Yrsa Jondottir - 7.5/10 A reliable midfielder and a consistent season.
Offer contract for 2019-2020, However will not be returning unless she is not offered a contract from another W-League clubs

Fanndis Fridriksdottir - 5/10 Inconsistent forward who really did not show her ability.
No contract for 2019-2020, However will not be returning unless she is not offered a contract from another W-League clubs.

Ivan Karlovic - Head Coach 5/10 A disappointing season even though they achieved better results from previous years.
Very lucky to draw games throughout the season and the great goalkeeping from Sarah Willacy.
With the issues emanating from the playing group and the way the team finished the season was poor and Ivan should take full responsibility.
No Contract offer 2019-2020. However, I believe he has been given a contract extension.
Be prepared for an exodus of players for 2019-2020 season.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

sportsbird wrote:Congratulations to AUWFC on winning the last game of the season. But were luck to get away with a win. Roar had some many goal scoring chances if it were not for Sarah Goalkeeping.

This is my analysis of the players and rated them according to their performances throughout the season.

Local Players
Sarah Willacy - 8/10 great goalkeeping season. If it was not for Sarah, reds would not be where they are.

Laura Johns - 7/10 Consistent and reliable defender. Only one of two local players to be proud of their performances this season.

Emma Checker - 5.5/10 - consistent but played very conservative. Needs to be more of an attacking defender. Plays back a lot.

Emily Condon - 4.5/10 Inconsistent season but has potential if used in the right position.

Georgia Campagnale - 4/10 Inconsistent season. Played in various roles but unable to secure a position.

Emily Hodgson - 4/10 She was continually exposed on her side. Showed very little resistant to the opposition team.

Dylan Holmes - 4/10 Started off well but fell away significantly. Played in different roles.

Kahlia Hogg - 3/10 Injured throughout the season and when she finally played showed little potential.

Georgia Iannella - 3/10 Played very little. Was pushed aside easily when she did come on, needs to bulk up to assist with her size.

Interstate
Michelle Heyman - 4/10 Only scored one goal from a penalty. A big expectation but a huge let down. This maybe due to the issues with coach.
No contract for 2019-2020, however she will not be returning anyway if she is offered a contract.

Internationals
Veronica Latsko - 9/10 Great season. Fantastic attacking player. Should win the club champion.
Definitely offer contract for 2019-2020, However will not be returning unless she is not offered a contract from another W-League clubs

Gunnhildur Yrsa Jondottir - 7.5/10 A reliable midfielder and a consistent season.

Fanndis Fridriksdottir - 5/10 Inconsistent forward who really did not show her ability.
No contract for 2019-2020, However will not be returning unless she is not offered a contract from another W-League clubs.

Ivan Karlovic - Head Coach 5/10 A disappointing season even though they achieved better results from previous years.
Very lucky to draw games throughout the season and the great goalkeeping from Sarah Willacy.
With the issues emanating from the playing group and the way the team finished the season was poor and Ivan should take full responsibility.
No Contract offer 2019-2020. However, I believe he has been given a contract extension.

Can you just admit your vendetta against Ivan so we can all move on please.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

sportsbird wrote:Congratulations to AUWFC on winning the last game of the season. But were luck to get away with a win. Roar had some many goal scoring chances if it were not for Sarah Goalkeeping.

Local Players

Interstate

Internationals

You've thrown a lot of young local players under the bus with your assessment. You hint needing more local players, but also at an extreme lack of patience with them.

You've also indicated that it's not about local players in general, it's about local players that you'd prefer, which is also unfair in assessing existing squad players.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

:lol:

Michaelangelo Rucci, eat your heart out!
Ignore this signature

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Lucas Leiva
This was not about throwing our local players under the bus. It was about who actually performed at W League level this season.
I would be happy if you stated which player should be contracted for season 2019-2020.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Nathan Burns
That is a ridiculous comment coming from you.
I do not have a vendetta against Ivan.
I just state my case as I see it.
I know him and find him a fantastic person but I feel he hasn't the qualities to coach women football.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Out of interest, what do coaches need for coaching women's football that is different to men's football? I've never been involved in the women's game, so I'm looking from someone that has coached both, what are the most important differences in coaching the two successfully?
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Oh dear. Here we go again...

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

No difference. Ball. Goals. Referees. Off side. 11 players plus subs.

Last time I looked, the pitch dimensions were the same.

If you are interested in coaching, just be the best you can. the rest will take care of itself.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Sportsbird believes otherwise:
sportsbird wrote: They also need a coach who also understand the emotions of female players and that they don't push to be like men, but to coach them to be the best player they can be. Training sessions can be used for women like they do with men, but that's it.
Ignore this signature

jim.mcguinness
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jim.mcguinness »

I think it was the 4-4-2 that fecked them up , maybe too much for them ......obviously Ivans fault , get real ladies !!

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

billy the kid wrote:No difference. Ball. Goals. Referees. Off side. 11 players plus subs.

If you are interested in coaching, just be the best you can. the rest will take care of itself.

Communication is good as well....if you only talk to not even half your players and take no interest in them personally your going to have problems...and probly even a good start to also acknowledge train on squad members aswell...even a simple hello wouldn’t hurt but makes a difference to the individual....just saying....

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

n8 wrote:
billy the kid wrote:No difference. Ball. Goals. Referees. Off side. 11 players plus subs.

Communication is good as well....if you only talk to not even half your players and take no interest in them personally your going to have problems...and probly even a good start to also acknowledge train on squad members aswell...even a simple hello wouldn’t hurt but makes a difference to the individual....just saying....
I always played trained to be the best I could be, not to be acknowledged or have my coach be interested in me personally, Zoran Matic called me Stan for a month, he asked my first name and I said 'Its Dan'.
Play football people.

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

paul merson wrote:
n8 wrote:

I always played trained to be the best I could be, not to be acknowledged or have my coach be interested in me personally, Zoran Matic called me Stan for a month, he asked my first name and I said 'Its Dan'.
Play football people.

We are talking about women now though....Men and women are emotionally different....

But your a coach now dan can you look back and say that was right of Zoran to not even know your name....I’m sure when you go to training or on game day you acknowledge almost every player you come across it might not seem like much to you but to that A fringe player or b or even c grader he now feels that little bit more apart of the club, which translates to a positive club moral and players wanting to be at the club....

Could this possibly be Ivan’s problem... from what I hear around the traps not only on the forum but from people fairly close to the team it should be something he looks at improving for next year if he gets the chance.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Well Im sure he'll get the chance as he signed for next year.
I'm surprised if this is what Ivan is like as he wasn't whilst I was there.
The other thing is its elite football, not local clubs, they're getting paid good money to play, when you except money to play sport its all business.

Did it bother me that Zoran called me Stan? No, because my focus was on playing, I had been in and seen the ruthlessness of pro environments, I was glad I was getting a chance to be in one.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

And I just opened up twitter & this is the first tweet on my timeline
Footballers should be the CEO of their game. Rather than hanging on their coach's words, they should take charge. They should choose to train smartly & holistically. They should decide to go to the gym and learn mental skills. Only then will they learn just how good they can be

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

why bother PM???

“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

paul merson wrote:And I just opened up twitter & this is the first tweet on my timeline
Footballers should be the CEO of their game. Rather than hanging on their coach's words, they should take charge. They should choose to train smartly & holistically. They should decide to go to the gym and learn mental skills. Only then will they learn just how good they can be

BOOM!

well said
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

This international seems to be very disillusioned with the coach, would be very surprised to see her come back

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I think this topic has been thrashed. My final closing question is:

"What does you crystal ball predict that will happen with AUFC-W in season 2019-2020?"

Look forward to WNPL season 2019.