Rumbles in AUWFC Camp

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

LOVE OF FOOTBALL
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Rumbles in AUWFC Camp

Post by LOVE OF FOOTBALL »

Following a disappointing loss last week, it was evident that things weren't right by the the demeanor of certain players during and after the Canberra game. On return from Canberra, reports have heightened to the point that several AUWFC players including internationals are not content with the current coaching staff and it's ideology/philosophy. Players are questioning the formation and player positions etc.
Just pondering whether the American players from last season had faced the same issues and opted to secure contracts with opposition W League clubs. Loved to hear anyone else in the forum have encountered any such reports.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Rumbles in AUWFC Camp

Post by juniorsupporter »

I’d been wondering where Sportsbird went...

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Junior supporter,
Thanks for keeping my memory alive.
I must have left a good impression on you.
Unfortunately or fortunately, I am trying to keep out of commenting on this forum. Just reading.
Looks like nothing has changed however.
Great to see someone else take over.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

:lol: Yes, gone but not forgotten. You definitely made an impression.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Rumblings in the camp? Not sure if peace and tranquillity among colleagues/team mates has ever existed in a work or sporting environment. AUFC-W isn’t an exception. You’re bringing together players from overseas that have a standard and expectation and professionalism to the game that I suspect differs slightly to what they encounter here in Australia and Adelaide. Are coaches the most loved people in the world or at a club? You can answer that one. It's a lonely gig.

You have the local girls that some have not had a break between WNPL and W league in over 4 years. That will result in fatigue and angst. The performances from the local contingent supports my assessment.

The overseas continent no doubt speak to USA players from interstate cubs and maybe they may elect to move on in the future. Naughton and Mautz and Campbell went off to Perth for the Kerr factor. Perth isn’t doing that well.

Colapricco and Huerta (albeit only 1 season here) are in Sydney. A star studded team but they have not lived up to expectation. Colapricco and Huerta have save their season but for mine they don’t look too happy. De Vanna won’t play again unless Sydney get desperate.

What I am saying here is AUFC-W isn’t the only club where this stuff happens. What may be happening at AUFC-W (rumblings) happens at every team……………………..Unless there is something a lot more sinister that is happening that hasn’t been divulged on the forum, my comments are based on what I have seen and read/heard.

AUFC-W are on the cusp of a finals’ berth and that's what excites me.

LOVE OF FOOTBALL
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Billy the kid, I kindly agree with your sentiments.
To Junior Supporter, I would hate to see that you have placed me in the same bracket as Sportsbird as she way to negative and abrupt in previous comments. I sincerely hope the AUWFC make the finals which I believe they will and it would be great for South Australian young female players wishing to play at that level one day. Go you reds.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks Love of Football.

I try and be objective without slandering anyone. End of the day can I do better? However, if there's a lack of buy on by the club or support I consider to be appropriate that is lacking then I'll let it rip.

AUFC-W have made huge inroads over the last 3 seasons. the set up that transitions local players from WNPL to the W League and back again isn't ideal and needs a re-think. Fatigue is/has set in and performances have suffered. Round table discussions with clubs, AUFC and the players. Some give and take is needed by all.

LOVE OF FOOTBALL
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

billy the kid wrote:Thanks Love of Football.

AUFC-W have made huge inroads over the last 3 seasons. the set up that transitions local players from WNPL to the W League and back again isn't ideal and needs a re-think. Fatigue is/has set in and performances have suffered. Round table discussions with clubs, AUFC and the players. Some give and take is needed by all.
Billy the Kid, you are absolutely spot on AUWFC having made huge in roads especially from last season. However, I am uncertain of the causes why our local and talented footballers especially the ones that played last season have not really shined in the W league this season. Love to see at least one or two of our locals create a break out match for the media to brag about instead of the usual overseas or interstate players.
One thing I'm very happy & excited about is Adelaide Uni Player, Laura Johns who has had a consistent season so far. Well Done.
Looking forward for tomorrow.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

juniorsupporter wrote:I’d been wondering where Sportsbird went...
Juniorsupporter, you gave me the passion to write again on the forum. Thanks
Firstly, I am extremely disappointed with the loss of the last two previous games especially against the bottom side.
We needed to win those games to secure a finals birth for the first time.
There is just no excuses for bad performances.
Yes we had two internationals out on international duties but this does not deflect that our local talent needed to step up.
Unfortunately there is only one local player that deserves to keep her head up high.
Ivan should take full responsibility for those losses and his players performances.
Now for the scathing attack. Remember this is my opinion only.
1. Poor local recruitment. Kept same players from last season who do not deserve to be there. There are better players in the WNPL
2. The opposition team have exposed United's defence by playing on one side which has conceded 95% of the goals and yet that player is
kept on.
3. Why do we play out from defence and continually bomb the ball into an empty paddock with no forwards in the vicinity.
4. Why do we only have one striker up forward while the other is playing deep. Thank god for the goal scoring international. Feel sorry for the
Matilda Superstar frustrated with having only scored one goal from a penalty this season. Ivan has killed her career this season.
5. We have three players on the injured list. Two of those players were given contracts knowing they were injured injured prior to the season.
they have been ruled out for the season. If this is true, then he should be sacked as soon as the season is over.
6. Midfield have been ordinary.
7. Players look confused as to their responsibilities on the field.

I would like to further point out some players that should have been given an opportunity and would have performed on the big stage.
1. Daniel Di-Bartolo - Two time player WNPL association winner
2. Laura Stockdale - Ex United Player
3. Kristy Moore - Australian and England Representative. Can still show the young players off
4. Eleni Psaroulis - Up and coming reliable defender
5. Donna Cockayne - Ex United Player
6. Chrissy Panagaris - Golden Boot & runner up WNPL
7. Chantelle Ryder - Great defender
8. Lauren Steer - Ex United Player
9. Isabella Scalzi - Ex United Player
10. Stella Rigon - Ex United Captain
11. Alicia Nikolas - Great defender
These players have had a great year in 2018 and yet they were overlooked.

You tell me who you would select. Remember, its about putting the best players on the field to win the prize.
Evelyn Goldsmith
Sian McLaren
Sarah Willacy
Georgia Campagnale
Emma Checker
Charlotte Grant
Emily Hodgson
Kahlia Hogg
Dylan Holmes
Georgia Iannella
Laura Johns
Grace Abbey
Emily Condon
Chelsie Dawber
Lara Kirkby
Isabel Hodgson
Meleri Mullan

Compare those list and I will let you decide who you should pick.

Finally, Ivan has got serious problems with his players as they appear not playing for him at the moment.
This was evident whilst sitting in the grandstand and I noticed Heyman turn around and faced Ivan stretching out her arms in the air which appeared to be out of frustration. I have also heard rumours about players being uneasy with Ivan.
Ivan needs to turn things around quickly if they want to make the finals.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

juniorsupporter wrote:I’d been wondering where Sportsbird went...
Juniorsupporter, you gave me the passion to write again on the forum. Thanks
Firstly, I am extremely disappointed with the loss of the last two previous games especially against the bottom side.
We needed to win those games to secure a finals birth for the first time.
There is just no excuses for bad performances.
Yes we had two internationals out on international duties but this does not deflect that our local talent needed to step up.
Unfortunately there is only one local player that deserves to keep her head up high.
Ivan should take full responsibility for those losses and his players performances.
Now for the scathing attack. Remember this is my opinion only.
1. Poor local recruitment. Kept same players from last season who do not deserve to be there. There are better players in the WNPL
2. The opposition team have exposed United's defence by playing on one side which has conceded 95% of the goals and yet that player is
kept on.
3. Why do we play out from defence and continually bomb the ball into an empty paddock with no forwards in the vicinity.
4. Why do we only have one striker up forward while the other is playing deep. Thank god for the goal scoring international. Feel sorry for the
Matilda Superstar frustrated with having only scored one goal from a penalty this season. Ivan has killed her career this season.
5. We have three players on the injured list. Two of those players were given contracts knowing they were injured injured prior to the season.
they have been ruled out for the season. If this is true, then he should be sacked as soon as the season is over.
6. Midfield have been ordinary.
7. Players look confused as to their responsibilities on the field.

I would like to further point out some players that should have been given an opportunity and would have performed on the big stage.
1. Daniel Di-Bartolo - Two time player WNPL association winner
2. Laura Stockdale - Ex United Player
3. Kristy Moore - Australian and England Representative. Can still show the young players off
4. Eleni Psaroulis - Up and coming reliable defender
5. Donna Cockayne - Ex United Player
6. Chrissy Panagaris - Golden Boot & runner up WNPL
7. Chantelle Ryder - Great defender
8. Lauren Steer - Ex United Player
9. Isabella Scalzi - Ex United Player
10. Stella Rigon - Ex United Captain
11. Alicia Nikolas - Great defender
These players have had a great year in 2018 and yet they were overlooked.

You tell me who you would select. Remember, its about putting the best players on the field to win the prize.
Evelyn Goldsmith
Sian McLaren
Sarah Willacy
Georgia Campagnale
Emma Checker
Charlotte Grant
Emily Hodgson
Kahlia Hogg
Dylan Holmes
Georgia Iannella
Laura Johns
Grace Abbey
Emily Condon
Chelsie Dawber
Lara Kirkby
Isabel Hodgson
Meleri Mullan

Compare those list and I will let you decide who you should pick.

Finally, Ivan has got serious problems with his players as they appear not playing for him at the moment.
This was evident whilst sitting in the grandstand and I noticed Heyman turn around and faced Ivan stretching out her arms in the air which appeared to be out of frustration. I have also heard rumours about players being uneasy with Ivan.
Ivan needs to turn things around quickly if they want to make the finals.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

maybe there some parallel with the woman's national team....women generally believe organisations should be run like a democracy...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Sportsbird. I respect your opinion because yours aren’t' one liners with baseless venom. You take the time to present a discussion and that I appreciate.
I, as many others, have over the years dissected the season and provided a fair analysis.

Whilst I am reluctant to comment on the names below, those you have signalled as potential platers for the team, they are proven players with many WNPL and W League season under their belts. They can take the rigours of a demanding schedule and because at their respective ages, actually do the little things off the pitch to be ready.

The local girls who have been in the squad (list below) for a few years need to be put out to rest for 2019/2020. Don’t blame the players putting their hands up to play year after year.

Let’s hope Ivan continues and gets the structure he needs in place. Throw all positions open and run a thorough selection process and approach the players he knows he needs.

LOVE OF FOOTBALL
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

BTK,
As an avid Uni supporter, you comment regarding Laura Johns is correct. Laura has been a breath of fresh air in the team. Most consistent player throughout the season. Proud to have Laura representing our club.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks. It reinforces the benefit of stepping away from W League for a while focussing on WNPL and possibly playing at college? that has assisted her. Nice person too and her success on the field is welcomed by us all and her.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

A few untruths that need to be cleared up.
sportsbird wrote: Yes we had two internationals out on international duties but this does not deflect that our local talent needed to step up.
That's quite a simplistic view in my opinion. If AUFC play without Isaías in side they struggle. Same applies to Gunni who works tirelessly in midfield. Overseas players are brought over because they are an improvement on the local players.
sportsbird wrote: Why do we only have one striker up forward while the other is playing deep. Thank god for the goal scoring international. Feel sorry for the
Heyman was disillusioned with the game in Canberra and was very close to giving the game away. Ivan convinced her to continue and move to Adelaide. So in fact he has done the opposite.
sportsbird wrote: We have three players on the injured list. Two of those players were given contracts knowing they were injured injured prior to the season.
Again, not true. Both were injured just before Round 1.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Untruths? Whether simplistic or not Sportsbird is correct on all points. You make an alternate point but I agree with Sportsbird.

Not sure who other injured players were however Abbey and Congdon have repeat appearances on the injury lists for AUFC. May e ok in WNPL however, as with many of our local players, they don't have the robustness to play season to season with out proper conditioning OR break down due to unconditioned frames.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Untruths? Whether simplistic or not Sportsbird is correct on all points. You make an alternate point but I agree with Sportsbird.

Not sure who other injured players were however there are some who have repeat appearances on the injury lists for AUFC. Some players may be ok in WNPL however, as with many of our local players, they don't have the robustness to play season to season with out proper conditioning OR break down due to unconditioned frames or lack of a proper break and pre-season.

My money is that they will make the finals.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Its disappointing the only time there is activity on this forum is when AU lose.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Yes. Some are providing a deep analysis of how things have gone off the rails (in some opinions) and still there is optimism. I believe all comments are about arresting the situation for this season and to look forwards on how things should be altered to bring about sustained success.

We started good however, we've fallen away. Sydney with all their talent stared badly and now are coming home strong.

There a fine line in performances that Sportsbird has kindly taken the time to provide her/his views on. I respect that.

I still think the finals will happen but only as a result of other results. I may be wrong but let's hope.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

But silence when they win.

Everybody sees the game differently & all coaches pick or play players for a particular reason, jump on twitter and see people question EPL managers player selections from the comfort of their lounge room.

I know Ivan well, one thing he was as a player & coach was calculated, he has a plan & reason for everything.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Sadly though (and I am guilty), it’s hard to criticise a winning streak. However, you will see some comes in various posts that have/had a tinge of concern about the state (performances) of the team. The results have in large been as a result of Sarah’s brilliant game in goals. How many reflex blocks has she pulled off? If only half went in AUFC may be somewhere towards the bottom.

Ivan is an excellent coach. Great bloke and the results are not indicative of him. Post season assessment needs to look at how and why the drop off in performances has occurred. And to put in place a plan to minimise it happening again. Injury prone players (and there are a couple) should be left to recover post WNPL season. And try out in 2 years’ time.

There are some local players also that have been in the squad for 4-5 years. They too need a break and left out of the squad for a year or two. Laura John’s resurgence is a classic example.

My advice to Ivan and Co. Get local talent 23 years plus into the squad and top up with overseas players. The young 18-22 year old talent can develop n the WNPL. The mature age group brings physical and mental toughness. And game sense.
Last edited by billy the kid on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

jim.mcguinness
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jim.mcguinness »

Havent posted for a while but just reading this , I had to drop in a few lines ,
Blah , blah , blah , whinge , whinge , whinge , a player in the technical area throwing her hands up in frustration? ....mmm,
I think I would know what to do with that one ,...... but then the coach is a gentleman
A comment that the players are uneasy with the coach ?,mmmmmmm ouch !! be careful what you say there as that could be misconstrued
Players confused with the structure ?, give me a break , cant play 4-5-1 ?, never heard of it ? could butter it up in different ways 4-2-3-1 , 4-1-4-1, the list goes on , BEHAVE YOURSELF .
Dear , dear , dear , maybe the girls aren't good enough?", solution , get the spade out and dig up the old brigade ?
Im surprised the coach took the job , legend player , great coach, didn't he win the national title with Metro ? ,
I think some of you need a reality check,
Or perhaps ,maybe just needs to take a tougher stance and put some people back in their box.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

Better be careful. You might get FFSA to commission some unknown cultural/ leadership consultant to survey players with loaded questions whose anonymous answers will lead to the coach being sacked in the week before playoffs because they werent growing as players or didnt understand the whiteboard instructions.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Jim, great to see that you have taken an interest in this.
I agree with you that Ivan is a fantastic person and a legend, but it does not takeaway issues that have arisen from the start of the season but it has now unraveled into turmoil.
The players have lost respect of the coach, they are confused, unable to comprehend his philosophy and tactics which seems to change each week.
Again, following the incident with Heyman raising her arms in frustration, it raised its ugly head again when Jónsdóttir turned around and faced Ivan shouting out "where am I playing?" to that effect. How can a player not know where she is playing.
That's two incidents in the last two weeks from two well known professional players.
That is not a good look for the football club, the team and it's supporters.
I go back in saying, it's time to appoint a coach whether its male or female who has the ability to communicate effectively to all players, not just his favourite international and interstate players but to all players in the squad.
They also need a coach who also understand the emotions of female players and that they don't push to be like men, but to coach them to be the best player they can be. Training sessions can be used for women like they do with men, but that's it.
They also need a coach that will be attend a WNPL match each week and identify players that are mature, skillful, strong, and have the ability to play at a W League level. This has not happened.
This idea of sending 3 to 5 potential players from each club to train with the mens club is ludicrous. They should all be training together as a squad to bond and to get to know each others strength and weakness.
I have yet to hear anyone from this forum select the players between the two squads or query the names. Which suggests to me that I may be correct in my findings.
I don't mind people attacking me for my opinions because you have the right for your say just as I have.
Now that we have failed in getting into the finals, I hope the team wins the last game out of respect. Good luck.
Finally, I believe that if Ivan is re-appointed for season 2019-2020, numerous players will not return or move on.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

sportsbird wrote:Jim, great to see that you have taken an interest in this.
I agree with you that Ivan is a fantastic person and a legend, but it does not takeaway issues that have arisen from the start of the season but it has now unraveled into turmoil.
The players have lost respect of the coach, they are confused, unable to comprehend his philosophy and tactics which seems to change each week.
Again, following the incident with Heyman raising her arms in frustration, it raised its ugly head again when Jónsdóttir turned around and faced Ivan shouting out "where am I playing?" to that effect. How can a player not know where she is playing.
That's two incidents in the last two weeks from two well known professional players.
That is not a good look for the football club, the team and it's supporters.
I go back in saying, it's time to appoint a coach whether its male or female who has the ability to communicate effectively to all players, not just his favourite international and interstate players but to all players in the squad.
They also need a coach who also understand the emotions of female players and that they don't push to be like men, but to coach them to be the best player they can be. Training sessions can be used for women like they do with men, but that's it.
They also need a coach that will be attend a WNPL match each week and identify players that are mature, skillful, strong, and have the ability to play at a W League level. This has not happened.
This idea of sending 3 to 5 potential players from each club to train with the mens club is ludicrous. They should all be training together as a squad to bond and to get to know each others strength and weakness.
I have yet to hear anyone from this forum select the players between the two squads or query the names. Which suggests to me that I may be correct in my findings.
I don't mind people attacking me for my opinions because you have the right for your say just as I have.
Now that we have failed in getting into the finals, I hope the team wins the last game out of respect. Good luck.
Finally, I believe that if Ivan is re-appointed for season 2019-2020, numerous players will not return or move on.
Nice job on avoiding my question.
Having local players train with NPL men’s tsises is a good idea, I’ve witnessed first hand the benefit for not just the players but the game in general.
To see a female GK train with a top men’s side and be treated as one of the boys shows the women’s game is progressing.
I’ve seen reserves players play along side these girls and play like they’re one of the boys, my GKs train with Sarah & Ev and treat them like one of the boys.
Yet you want to create divide.
I want to continue working with the likes of Sarah & Ev, but reading comments from the likes of you & Sad gal makes me want to turn my back on women’s football & stick to men’s football.
How many female GK coaches do you have??

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

PM,
I actually agree with you on this one regarding Sarah & Ev, especially Sarah.
She has been outstanding goalkeeper this season. Yes she also has been been coached one on one by a very well respected and well known goalkeeper coach.
Just goes to show how a great coach with excellent communications skills can get the best out of an individual.
I wish coaches could learn from him.
Thank you PM your comment was of great value.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

sportsbird wrote:PM,
She has been outstanding goalkeeper this season. Yes she also has been been coached one on one by a very well respected and well known goalkeeper coach.
Just goes to show how a great coach with excellent communications skills can get the best out of an individual.
:lol: I heard he's a nice guy.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

paul merson wrote:
sportsbird wrote:PM,
:lol: I heard he's a nice guy.
No chance :lol:

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

paul merson wrote:But silence when they win.

Everybody sees the game differently & all coaches pick or play players for a particular reason, jump on twitter and see people question EPL managers player selections from the comfort of their lounge room.

I know Ivan well, one thing he was as a player & coach was calculated, he has a plan & reason for everything.
I am guessing some of the people are critical because they are disappointed, we were doing so well, drew with Perth Glory, beat Melbourne Victory, looking very possible to finish In top two sides given how tight the competition is.
Then lost 3 out of the last 4 games to bottom sides, no one saw that coming, not sure how and why it happened - maybe it showed how much our GK saved us in those earlier games.
Goes to show you let the intensity slip just a little at this level, you will get punished.
Does anyone know why J McCormick did not get selected ? she is having a solid season with Brisbane.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

The General wrote:
paul merson wrote:But silence when they win.

I am guessing some of the people are critical because they are disappointed, we were doing so well, drew with Perth Glory, beat Melbourne Victory, looking very possible to finish In top two sides given how tight the competition is.
Then lost 3 out of the last 4 games to bottom sides, no one saw that coming, not sure how and why it happened - maybe it showed how much our GK saved us in those earlier games.
Goes to show you let the intensity slip just a little at this level, you will get punished.
Does anyone know why J McCormick did not get selected ? she is having a solid season with Brisbane.
The General,
Ivan did not offer Jenna a contract because she requested to play for approx. half a season and then be able to cross over to AFLW.
I can except Ivan reason for that but cannot fathom why Isabella Hodgson was given a short contract to enable her to play back in the USA college system.
Can anyone explain why there are rules for some and not for others?
Also, you are completely accurate with your comments on Sarah great goalkeeping.
If it were not for Sarah, we would not have been in the top four in the earlier part of the season.