Women in Sport and Cross Codes

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Women in Sport and Cross Codes

Post by billy the kid »

On the cusp of the much anticipated and abbreviated (after 2 seasons) AFL-W 7 week season I was heartened to see on TV last night another women's soccer product make her mark in the AFL-W. Our own and much loved MJ was on TV receiving much warranted exposure for the wonderful AFL-W. MJ, as always, spoke very eloquently and pledged to do whatever and play wherever the club wanted.

It gives me hope that when someone else like MJ comes to the end of their soccer career that they can reach the dizzying heights of the highly skilled and entertaining AFL-W.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: Women in Sport and Cross Codes

Post by Lucas Leiva »

billy the kid wrote:On the cusp of the much anticipated and abbreviated (after 2 seasons) AFL-W 7 week season I was heartened to see on TV last night another women's soccer product make her mark in the AFL-W. Our own and much loved MJ was on TV receiving much warranted exposure for the wonderful AFL-W. MJ, as always, spoke very eloquently and pledged to do whatever and play wherever the club wanted.

It gives me hope that when someone else like MJ comes to the end of their soccer career that they can reach the dizzying heights of the highly skilled and entertaining AFL-W.
I have no qualms with players heading across as they reach the interpreted end of their football journey. For many this is when an opportunity at the elite level (ie. W-League, Matildas) is no longer available.

As long as that competition doesn't continue to cannibalise rising or current talent. We need to broaden the talent pool to continue to have growing and competitive WNPL competitions around the country.

YNWA89
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by YNWA89 »

billy the kid wrote:On the cusp of the much anticipated and abbreviated (after 2 seasons) AFL-W 7 week season I was heartened to see on TV last night another women's soccer product make her mark in the AFL-W. Our own and much loved MJ was on TV receiving much warranted exposure for the wonderful AFL-W.
MJ, as always, spoke very eloquently and pledged to do whatever and play wherever the club wanted.

Very interesting you note that MJ as ALWAYS spoke very eloquently and pledged to do whatever and play wherever the club wanted -
That's a very different person that I know - especially in the soccer community; a few years ago when she pledged to help out a club in their first WNPL season yet was caught out bad mouthing her own team on the sidelines embarrassed they weren't so successful that in her own selfishness claimed to be injured - let's hope the constant "injuries" don't become an issue for her again.

Adi
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Adi »

I get the feeling that BTK is taking the p.ss out of MJ and AFL-W.... :)

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Adi wrote:I get the feeling that BTK is taking the p.ss out of MJ and AFL-W.... :)
I thought the same thing