Scheduling W League Matches - Debacle

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Scheduling W League Matches - Debacle

Post by billy the kid »

Who in the infinite wisdom has scheduled the W League games for season 20018/19. This is the kind of stuff the AFL-W league does. Not W League.

The useless bye needs to go - either remove one team or preferably add another team.

Adelaide has one game, then has a bye and because of international duties, has another week off. How the hell can AUFC build momentum or settling of the squad when it faces 3 weeks between its first and second game.

Come on FFA this is absurd.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Scheduling W League Matches - Debacle

Post by juniorsupporter »

I agree about the bye week- it should be a 10-team competition. But I also think that the break between the first and second games will work more to United's advantage than disadvantage.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Scheduling W League Matches - Debacle

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks for the response Junior.

However, I must disagree that the bye and the break for international duties is going to work n AUFC-W favour. In a short season, it’s critical to have continuity of games to consolidate the team and although it was only two rounds, the second week bye is appalling. I would have liked (as will have the team) to have had at least 2 games before this week’s round.

AUFC-W have been slow burners and by the time they get their team structure and game plan right, the season is over. Early wins in a short season are invaluable.

Again, the scheduling a bye can be alleviated with either dropping or including a new team.