Cumberland has a new Senior Coach

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

OldSchool
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Cumberland has a new Senior Coach

Post by OldSchool »

Announced to the club on 1st September, very exciting news Cumberland has a new senior coach and this guy comes with vast experience and a bag of good ideas. Players are all very excited about the opportunity to be lead by this guy. Hopefully this will be enough to prevent a mass exodus from the club of quality senior and junior players. In time and with the right results and programs in place the club should be able to get some of the quality players they produced over the years to start returning and get new players moving to the club.

Again here is the post from club to members.

Good evening CUWFC Community

On behalf of your Committee I am pleased to announce the appointment of Martin Orchard as our Senior Coach.

We have appointed Martin for 3 years initially - i.e. for the 2019, 2020, and 2021 seasons - with the intention of providing a stable platform for our Senior women and also to provide time to build our Club's approach to developing our coaches through all ages groups and to build our development approach for our youth and community players.

Martin migrated to Adelaide 5 years ago with his wife Tracey and two Sons (now 17 and 23).

Professionally he combines being a Hospitality Manager (including Michelin / AA rosette and 4 Star hospitality management experience) with football coaching. Martin brings fantastic coaching and playing experience to our Club and is also keen to grow as a professional coach in coming years.

Martin has been employed in coaching and development roles by a number of UK clubs including Aston Villa FC, West Bromich Albion FC and Kidderminster Harriers FC. Martin is also currently a Scout for Aston Villa FC.

Most recently Martin has been a Development Coach and Goalkeeper coach at Flinders Flames FC and also coaches several local schools across Adelaide providing assistance for SAPSASA state soccer as required.

Martin's playing career includes time with Birmingham FC, Evesham United FC, Worcester City FC and Herefordshire & Worcestershire District (as a schoolboy).

I will make arrangements for Martin to meet the Senior Team and the coaching group as soon as possible, make arrangements for trials, and he will also contribute to the creation of our 10 Year Whole of Club plan in October/November. We will need to re-form our Football Committee (within our new Governance Structure) as we finalise our Whole of Club 10 Year Plan .

We are delighted to have secured someone of Martin's calibre and experience. He demonstrates values aligned to those of our Club and has expressed a strong desire to develop all aspects of our Club and football department so that as many girls and women as possible can enjoy our sport whether through pursuing the premier league streams or the more community and social aspects of our sport.

I'm sure you will join me and the Committee in welcoming Martin and embracing him into our Club community so that we set him up for success.

With kind regards

John
President CUWFC

Once again credit to the club for going out looking for and finding a coach who on paper at least will be able to reinvigorate, rebuild and reinvent their senior program and get the club straight back into the WNPL.

Now i wonder if he has access to a list of quality English players who would like to spend a season in Aus wearing green :)

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Cumberland has a new Senior Coach

Post by SAD GAL »

I commend the actions of Cumberland in regards to its announcements of a president and coach however, this is something that should have occurred many months ago once the issues with regards to the past president and WNPL coach started to become a significant issue. The team has fallen out of the WNPL and for mine, the recent announcement won't stem the departure of those players who are still capable of playing in the WNPL. Fulham saw the writing on the wall and staved off relegation with desperate but effective measures and will survive in the WNPL for season 2019.

In this regard, I hope the club does not give the players who choose to leave (or are thinking about it) the hard word/pressure to remain for "loyalty" sake.

Once again well done on the appointments but it will be time for Cumberland to bite the bullet and focus on a strong 2019 in State League.