Season 2018

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Season 2018

Post by billy the kid »

Thank you to all the clubs, coaches, players and officials from the FFSA who made season 2018 the year it was.

A very entertaining season where there was no runaway league leader with the top spot up for grabs each and every week.

My season Highs, Lows and In between

Highs
1) The battle for top spot between Metro and City (each week was like a final for these two)
2) The NTC team – Exciting and skilful players who gave as good as they got. Well done
3) The mid table battles for a top 4 spot that was had between NTC, Uni and Salisbury
4) The FFSA for putting the WNPL front and centre. The women’s game is not secondary. IT’S on equal terms with the NPL.

Lows
1) Salisbury and Uni falling off the pace from a good/solid 2017 and not gaining a top 4 spot
2) The departures of the Salisbury and Cumberland coaches mid/late season; cost Salisbury top 4 and Cumberland relegation
3) Fulham’s demise (surprised or expected?)
4) The fight for survival between Fulham and Cumberland. These once proud WNPL stalwarts we’re in the fight of their WNPL lives. Fulham the more desperate went and hired a couple of guns to move out of relegation. Cumberland needs to regroup. Fulham needs to stop plugging holes and get serious or 2019 will see the same as 2018.

In between
1) West Adelaide falling away to cling on to 3rd spot. A solid and talented group that failed to push for a top 2 spot and cemented 3rd spot because of the up and down results from NTC and Uni. Changes are coming for WA in 2019.
2) Uni failing to get the 4th spot. I had them in the top 4 with certainty. In consistent results meant this did not happen.

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Season 2018

Post by Brenton T »

Agreed that WNPL season 2018 was very competitive and showcased some excellent emerging talent not only in the NTC but across the league. The Reserves comp also cannot be understated and the depth for some clubs is pretty good.

There were some surprises with Adelaide University and Salisbury Inter failing to build upon 2017 and consolidate a top 4. If they weer firing as expected, the NTC would not have been in the top 4. No offence NTC.

The top two showed it was a tough race all year and each game was like a final. Drop the points and you gain/lose top spot. The battle for 3 and 4th spots was definitely worth watching. West Adelaide have had issues on and off the park which affected their performances across 2018. They just didn't look the goods as they did in 2017. Recruited strongly and I thought 2018 would be another performance worthy of a top 2 spot. 2019 will bring change to them for sure.

Cumberland and Fulham...the grand old ladies of the WNPL. One has departed the WNPL and the other did what it needed to do and as someone said, brought in guns for hire and staved off relegation. Just. Fulham will struggle to keep its keeper who despite an dismal GD, played aggressively and strongly. In a better team she will prosper. As with Cumberland's goal keeper, they are both destined for new clubs. Cumberland will suffer a few more losses to its playing list because you cannot keep them in the State League 1 when they are WNP calibre. Fulham suffered its mass exodus in 2017 and I don't think what they have on the park will be hard to retain for season 2019. McCormick and Nagel will/should head off to a new club unless they are shown $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Fulham will need a new strategy other than enticing former players/coach to resurrect their careers.

City and Metro will have cause to look back on 2018 with some refinements required to both clubs if they are to remain league leaders. Goal keepers, defenders forwards etc. will be looked at by both clubs and we may see some recruits to both coming not only from the NTC but players from other clubs looking for change. You cannot do better than City or Metro.

The NTC will be interesting though with the bulk of their playing list moving on once they reach 18....Or will they? There is some rumour around that the FFSA may allow the girls to continue with the NTC or a subsidiary in 2019. If that's the case then will they need to also meet other WNPL criteria?

And the Adelaide Comets. An unknown in the WNPL sphere. One thing for sure is that they are/have been hitting the recruiting drive very hard and will offer $$ to get the players they need. Their off field set up is good and that along with payment will make the offer too good. Maybe Cumberland's loss is Comets gain.

Otherwise, 2018 delivered beautifully and season 2019....Well I can't wait.

M@rvin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by M@rvin »

Have been told that Cumberland will remain in the WNPL to create a ten team competion.
Also the State league will be no more.
The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible. It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work.

George Graham

ball_girl
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ball_girl »

M@rvin wrote:Have been told that Cumberland will remain in the WNPL to create a ten team competion.
Cumberland have advertised their senior trials as Div 1 - they won't be in NPL next year.

State League is now "Div 1"

Galey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Galey »

M@rvin wrote:Have been told that Cumberland will remain in the WNPL to create a ten team competion.
If Cumberland were retained in the WNPL it would make it a 9 team league, unless a 2nd State League team were promoted as well

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

I think Cumberland are trying very hard (or had tried) to remain in the WNPL. Simple thing is that they under performed over the last 2-3 years, and were relegated. Question is? Do they deserve to fall back into the WNPL because of rule/competition changes? No.

Hydration Officer
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Hydration Officer »

Brenton T wrote:I think Cumberland are trying very hard (or had tried) to remain in the WNPL. Simple thing is that they under performed over the last 2-3 years, and were relegated. Question is? Do they deserve to fall back into the WNPL because of rule/competition changes? No.

Interesting comments - Were there clubs that allegedly complained about CUWFC being in WNPL in 2019 ?

Makes for a very interesting Division 1 league next year , it should consist of at least 8 clubs who do not have teams in the WNPL otherwise makes a mockery of the whole competition.
Then you would also need another division for their second team, what would be their Reserve sides.

Could end up being a right mess, hopefully the brains trust at FFSA sort it out .

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Hydration Officer wrote:
Brenton T wrote:I think Cumberland are trying very hard (or had tried) to remain in the WNPL. Simple thing is that they under performed over the last 2-3 years, and were relegated. Question is? Do they deserve to fall back into the WNPL because of rule/competition changes? No.

Interesting comments - Were there clubs that allegedly complained about CUWFC being in WNPL in 2019 ?

Makes for a very interesting Division 1 league next year , it should consist of at least 8 clubs who do not have teams in the WNPL otherwise makes a mockery of the whole competition.
Then you would also need another division for their second team, what would be their Reserve sides.

Could end up being a right mess, hopefully the brains trust at FFSA sort it out .
As it stands they have relegated all but the top 3 teams (Uni, Stirling and Metro) to Division 2 to make way for the State League teams.

OldSchool
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by OldSchool »

Has there been any confirmation that there will be promotion from Div 1 to Prems, I know that is what is being said but has it been confirmed. FFSA has been very quite nothing public (that i can find) about the restructure or explaining how it will work, are they still to decide?

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Each club in WNPL and the new Division 1 has been sent that info to confirm.

As outlined in the previous memorandum promotion and relegation will exist between the divisions.
Promotion being subject to the team meeting the relevant competition criteria and a team cannot be
promoted into a higher division if there is already a team from the same club in the division.

harrycallum
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by harrycallum »

My prediction for today is:

China PR Women vs Spain Women

Winner: Spain
Both Teams to Score: No
Under 2,5 Goals
Final Result: 0:2

I usually use this site to get ideas on the bets because I think they have excellent predictions.

And I agree with their prediction, What do they say about this bet?

I leave the link below I would like to know your opinion and if someone uses this site too

https://www.betclan.com/predictions.html

Thanks

TylerF
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by TylerF »

It was definitely an eventful season.. Metro and City were for sure a huge point of excitement every time!

Tyler | https://www.paintersstjohnsnl.com/