AUFC - W League 2018-19

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

AUFC - W League 2018-19

Post by Brenton T »

Excellent signing of Michelle Heyman for the upcoming W-League season.

At 30 Michelle signals that the AUFC team for 2018-19 may put its faith in older players. If so, there will be many in the local WNPL that could land a spot in the squad.

The signing gives me confidence that Ivan has done his homework and will identify what players the team requires. Obviously this has been done with the backing of the club. Well done.

The question now is whether Ivan will open all positions for trial/targeted selection. At the end of the last W- League season, my feeling is that Ivan was looking for a fresh start and that those players that have been there for a few years will not be in his plans moving forward. Again a very positive move if this eventuates.

Over the next few weeks we will be getting regular updates on signings or trials etc.

Please feel free to add to the topic.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: AUFC - W League 2018-19

Post by Coyote »

Brenton T

I agree with you in regards to Michelle Heyman. Excellent signing for the club. If they can sign another 2-3 players (including overseas players) of her calibre, finals maybe possible.

I am not sure I agree with you in regards to “may put faith in older players…so there will be many in the local WNPL that could land a spot in the squad”. I do not think her age had anything to do with her signing. The main reasons were probably because she has performed very well in the past at both W-League and Matilda level and that she also appears to be an elite athlete who will be able to easily run out matches. This is an area that the team need to improve on compared to last season.

It is my understanding that “trials” have commenced but I suspect that Ivan is just waiting for some non WNPL players to commit, prior to finalising his team. It will be intriguing how many of the players from last season retain their positions and who replaces them. As per previous seasons, there will be some unlucky SA based players who will not get a contract. However, there is a huge difference between the W-League and WNPL. Now from his experience last year, Ivan should have the knowledge to pick players this season who have all the requirements to compete and be successful at this higher level.

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

Thanks Coyote

I ill clarify my comments re: age. Heyman is a class act and will add to the squad in many ways. Ten age reference is that many players in the 25+ age group may have felt that their time was up with respect to the W-League. Given the way the squad has been assembled over the last 3-4 seasons, I can see where that opinion has been derived.

The issue for me is to get some new local talent into the squad that are more than capable to take up the spots. For mine, our team last season (local players) looked spent. I cannot understand how you can go from WNPL to W League then back again for 3 years without it taking its toll mentally and physically.

Fingers crossed Ivan does the job this season. We need success.

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

3 excellent local products signed up for AUFC. Emily 1 and 2 and Sarah.

Congratulations on your selection to the 2018-19 squad.

There's a lot of local talent available for selection in this year's squad. I hope Ivan tries something new and brings in new players to have a go. Time for a new wave of local WNPL players to get a go.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Just seen the W-League fixture for 2018-19. Looks good. Away game v the Victory is excellent. 14 rounds. See what happens when talent, ability and quality sport is rewarded? More not less games. Think about it AFL-W.

Other interesting things to note.
1) Salary Cap increasing to $350,000 (approx. 16.5% increase on last year)
2) Salary Cap floor increasing to $221,166 (approx. 22.8% increase on last year)
3) Minimum Retainer increasing to $12,287 for 23-week period (approx. 22.8% increase on last year)
4) Average salary expected to rise to approximately $17,500 for 23-week period

Hopefully those players that are at the bottom end of the payment rung (retainer) and are getting paid considerably more than the players that came before them take time to thank those that did the hard yards for basically $0.00. Sadly I don’t think so.

Now that Griffo and co have departed the asylum let’s hope the new AUFC hierarchy show due respect to the W-League. Somehow I think they already have started. Griffo can sail away and leave football to those that are passionate about it and show respect.

The average wage though will cover those o/s players that come over to Australia for big $$$$$$$$

Anyway season 2018-19 looks to have started off really well. Now to get the right mix of players on the roster. Over to you Ivan.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

I second that Brenton T. Congratulations to the girls on getting signed as I expected they would.
I would be interested in your opinion Brenton T and others on some “new” players from the WNPL that you think should also be signed this season.

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

Thanks Coyote

I won't mention names out of respect for them and so as not to start a public assessment of their abilities.

For mine however, I think Ivan was bitterly disappointed at the end of season 2017/18 and that it's time to park the local talent that were on the park the last few years and look for new players. We have enough across most of the teams in the WNPL from which to select from.

Positive moves so far however, I am expecting big changes to a new look list.

LOVE OF FOOTBALL
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by LOVE OF FOOTBALL »

Great to see the local WNPL Players training with Adelaide United.
I believe this to be the current training squad.

Dylan Holmes
Georgia Nicolai
Georgia Iannella
Lauren Steer
Charlotte Grant
Nicole Calder
Georgia Campagnale - Contracted
Chelsea Dawber - Contracted
Chrissy Panagaris
Maddie Du Rieu
Laura Johns - Contracted
Emily Condon - Contracted
Emily Hodgson - Contracted
Sarah Willacy - Contracted
Emma Checker -Contracted
4 x Internationals - Contracted

Does anyone know who the 4 international players are and who else should be given a contract.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Well done to those on the list.

I wish you well with your selection.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

LOVE OF FOOTBALL wrote:Great to see the local WNPL Players training with Adelaide United.
I believe this to be the current training squad.

Dylan Holmes
Georgia Nicolai
Georgia Iannella
Lauren Steer
Charlotte Grant
Nicole Calder
Chrissy Panagaris
Maddie Du Rieu
Laura Johns - Contracted
Emma Checker -Contracted

Does anyone know who the 4 international players are and who else should be given a contract.
Sian McLaren
Evelyn Goldsmith

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Pleasing to see Chrissy Panagaris getting an opportunity & very deserving just needs to work harder on her fitness but will score goals.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

No Quigley?

Chrissy P is a gem and an up and coming. The experience of being in a squad will help her.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Karlovic 3 February 2018 after securing a wooden spoon said:

“But we will strengthen, so unfortunately some people have to miss out and that’s the reality of football. We’re serious about making finals football, we’re serious about competing and putting us up where we want to be.”

Question is Ivan, who's missed out from that wooden spoon winning season (2017/2018)?

Heyman tick.......................

Visa players yet to be announced however, as with all past seasons, those players arriving a week or days before the season kicks off will take weeks to gel and by then the season may be over.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

BTK

I get what your saying re who has missed out. To be fair, Ivan did not put a number on how many changes there should be. From the players who appear to be “trialling”, it could be assumed at least 3 players will not be returning i.e. Jones, Tucker and Peat. Maybe a couple of the re-signings so far are a little lacking in experience but I think all of them have the skills (including Willacy as GK) and importantly sufficient fitness/pace to be given another go in the W-League.

I agree with you that Heyman is a big tick and if she plays to her potential, she will make a big difference.

All the teams in the W league are in the same boat in regards to o/s players re when they arrive so in regards to taking weeks to gel that is a challenge not immune to United

My prediction is that our final squad will be stronger than last year. The problem is that the signings announced for the other teams so far indicate that they all seem to be stronger as well. Again it will be a tough season but with some luck you never know….

ZZZZ
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ZZZZ »

icelandic gun coming my agent tells me

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

ZZZZ wrote:icelandic gun coming my agent tells me
2 of them

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Very optimistic Coyote
Luck isn't something that wins games (generally). A decent program to get the best squad together however, does win games. There is no proper lead up other than some hastily arranged trial matches against inadequate opposition.
I was looking forward to many new names from the WNPL and those that have been there a few years are given time to take a breather and re-calibrate for 2019/20 season.
What will never happen is a proper W-League pre-season followed by visa/interstate players coming together 2 month beforehand to really give us a chance at making the finals.
AUFC in 2018/19 will again just fall short. Same well-worn track will mean the same results.

Coyote wrote:BTK

I get what your saying re who has missed out. To be fair, Ivan did not put a number on how many changes there should be. From the players who appear to be “trialling”, it could be assumed at least 3 players will not be returning i.e. Jones, Tucker and Peat. Maybe a couple of the re-signings so far are a little lacking in experience but I think all of them have the skills (including Willacy as GK) and importantly sufficient fitness/pace to be given another go in the W-League.

I agree with you that Heyman is a big tick and if she plays to her potential, she will make a big difference.

All the teams in the W league are in the same boat in regards to o/s players re when they arrive so in regards to taking weeks to gel that is a challenge not immune to United

My prediction is that our final squad will be stronger than last year. The problem is that the signings announced for the other teams so far indicate that they all seem to be stronger as well. Again it will be a tough season but with some luck you never know….

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

visa/interstate players coming together 2 month beforehand to really give us a chance at making the finals.
who will pay them for this time???....considering the very little commercial interest....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Like most things in life Mega....Paid by many for the enjoyment of a few.

If commercial interest is the thing we gauge remuneration then there would be many sports having little if any exposure. And there would be many getting exposure overload. The same could be said for the men's NPL in most States where the over inflated pay packets some players get is subsidised very heavily by the juniors. Players getting in excess of $2-300 per game in the local league is ludicrous and unsustainable. Junior fess need to increase every season to accommodate "big signings" or old hacks peddling their ever diminishing abilities to a club mesmerised by their name and having them at their cub. For what I say? A local NPL.

MegaBonus wrote:
visa/interstate players coming together 2 month beforehand to really give us a chance at making the finals.
who will pay them for this time???....considering the very little commercial interest....

ZZZZ
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ZZZZ »

BAGGIO 15 wrote:
2 of them

ok i know one is a experienced box to box player

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

ZZZZ wrote:
BAGGIO 15 wrote:
2 of them

ok i know one is a experienced box to box player
:lol:
Ignore this signature

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Bomber wrote:
:lol:
I agree :lol:

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

SAD GAL

I agree with you re the lucky comment I made. It was an “off the cuff” statement so apologies for the way it was perceived.

The team did finish bottom last year so I can understand to a degree why you say you were looking forward to many new names from the WNPL. I do not agree with your suggestion though that just because a player has been there a few years they should be given time to take a breather and re-calibrate for 2019/20 season. Based on that theory, Sam Kerr and the rest of the Matildas should all have a summer holiday in preparation for the world cup next year. If they are fit enough and good enough they should be selected. Maybe they could have a breather during the 2019 WNPL season?

I sense you and others on this forum do not agree with at least one or two of the local players who have been signed to date. Yes all of them played last season in the team that did not have much success. However, one made her debut for the Matildas this year so not sure who in the WNPL should take her spot? One played for the young Matildas recently so not sure why we would not select her? One has previously played for the young Matildas and I think was instrumental in her local teams success this season so I can’t think of whom should take her spot? Another signed player has 4 years of W league experience and is quick and like all the others signed so far, fit enough for W-League. Is she not good enough for you? The signed GK in my opinion is the best or at least in the top 2 GK playing in the WNPL. She also performed pretty well last season in the W league so surely you can’t disagree with that signing?

I myself may not agree with all the local players that get selected as part of the final squad but for the reasons I have outlined above, I think the signings so far are all justified.

LOVE OF FOOTBALL
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by LOVE OF FOOTBALL »

Contracted players so far.

Dylan Holmes - Contracted
Laura Johns - Contracted
Emma Checker - Contracted
Michelle Heyman - Contracted
Great to see Dylan given a contract, well deserved.

This leaves 5 spots.
Maddie Du Rieu
Georgia Nicolai
Georgia Iannella
Chrissy Panagaris
Lauren Steer
Charlotte Grant
Nicole Calder

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I'm very worried about season 2018-19.

Just read A Jones is with Melbourne City? Seriously guys...this makes a mockery of sections of players. Have the selectors over there not seen her play last W League season and the local WNPL? One word describes it....Undisciplined.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Just read that Kahlia Hogg signed. She seems to bring a lot of experience to the team which is a positive.

Billy the Kid- Does this signing make you less worried about the season?

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

The squads certainly starting to look stronger then last season. Let’s see how results go.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Sadly no.

For mine it's not about the interstate or visa players. Without question they're excellent and bring something to the team. The only time we will be successful in the W League is when:

1) AUFC can attract the interest of our best players. Currently its the same heads and they have been shown to be inadequate on the national stage.

2) AUFC can hold together a squad post season for training and continuity. I get it there will be some players in the local scene that should be looked at but the core group (who have been shown to be very interested in continuing with AUFC) should be able to remain together. I don't think the former AUFC hierarchy agreed with this.

My issue is why are so many players of note in the local WNPL who are experienced and very capable steering a wide berth from AUFC-W?
Coyote wrote:Just read that Kahlia Hogg signed. She seems to bring a lot of experience to the team which is a positive.

Billy the Kid- Does this signing make you less worried about the season?

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

BAGGIO 15 wrote:The squads certainly starting to look stronger then last season. Let’s see how results go.
didnt they just lose to a u14 boys side ?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I think it's silly to assume anything about a preseason trial match, when the whole side isn't assembled and one doesn't know who was on the pitch (unless you were there on the night a paying attention), in what positions or combinations- my understanding is that there are a bunch of NTC girls out there to make up numbers until the contracted players arrive/available/free from niggles etc...

So that's a bit of s**t stirring IMO.