AUFC - W League 2018-19

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: AUFC - W League 2018-19

Post by Coyote »

BTK

I do enjoy reading a lot of your posts but you seem very negative on this topic and highly critical of the signed players.

Who do you consider to be the best local players? Emily Condon represented the Matildas this year yet she is not considered by you to be one of our best players? What the?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Only concerned that we in SA are always treading the same path and that we always seem disappointed when we get the same outcomes. Aren't you concerned?

Also, negative or not, the same formula is rolled out year after year. Also, there is a distinct lack of interest shown by many local WNPL players I would consider as suitable and capable of a spot on the team to consider AUFC_W. I mean you cannot be serious with the inclusion of NTC players? In a national competition? Against seasoned bodies and experience and visa players and then expect to get results to put you in the top 4.

Tell me where I can get some positivity?

Local talent you ask? Last year Chidiac. This year Condon. All worthy mentions of local talent. Hodgson had a stint in the young Matildas.

I think we have a well trodden path with AUFC-W that has churned many players through the years. Players that have committed big time however, there has been little loyalty or support shown in return. Some coaches have tried to alter the pathway and recommended an alternate only to be shot down and inevitably exit the program.

Coyote is you want to be enamoured by a couple of signings and some drizzling of local talent that have stars in their eyes then go ahead. Nothing has occurred over the decade that will cause me to say "Here we go again".

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Billy, could you be more specific about WNPL players who are ‘steering clear’ of WLeague? You make it sound like there are players who atent involved simply because they have chosen not to be, as if they are capable and have been approached but have knocked it back, which I don’t think is the case- another point is that as time goes on, the level of commitment required to play WLeague increases. I would think it would be very difficult for someone to hold another job and meet all WLeague training commitments. Some players get to their mid 20’s and need to make a living all year- the commitment to a career or full time job precludes making a big enough commitment to training.

Who do you have in mind? Is there a specific example you’re thinking of? It would help us understand if you could be more specific. Much of your above post is pretty vague.

Lastly, to my knowledge I don’t think any of this year’s NTC girls have been signed. Yet. But I believe there are some out at training to make up numbers. Can’t run a training without a minimum number of players. Usually players who make national squads get signed. A few others will train on. Fair enough

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

BTK
Ouch!
Junior supporter- I could not have worded it better. Would love to hear a response.
I’m sorry BTK I expressed my opinion but I like to look for the positives. I’m finished with making a contribution on this matter. I wish the team all the best no matter who is selected.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I don't think its beneficial to mention names. Silly actually. I think you can do the sums and work it out.

Yep I get the whole commitment thing however, commitment with the WNPL commences in or about November with pre-season and then goes through to August September when the season ends for some. The commitment may have increased as you say however, the results do not reflect the same. BTW the players are getting paid nowadays so any enticement may come in the form of a minimum of $10k. A decent pay packet given only a short time back they were getting $0.00.

NTC players signed up. ...Happy to concede.

Again if you're happy for the same to be trotted out and expect a different result then you may want to take a job in strategic planning. I'm not convinced and history I would suggest is on my side.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I didn’t mean my post to be an ‘ouch’, just sharing my opinion and asking for clarification...

And I have no idea who you are thinking of in terms of players. Not a clue.

Also don’t think you can equate WNPL training commitment with WLeague. Frequency and intensity much higher with WLeague..

And I’m sorry you’re so despondent about the prospects this season. Any solutions to offer going forward? I personally like the way the Roar are approaching things in keeping the local girls together during the WNPL season and playing them in the WNPL in Queensland. That could definitely help. And I think the State/NTC programs could use a shakeup- don’t seem to be producing more than one or two that can play at the next level. Getting a technical director in who cares about the girls would be a start.

I think the season will be a big challenge for the girls, but I think they will surprise a few teams. And a few supporters.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks Junior. I see we're all about the game and the success of the W League.

Sadly, our enthusiasm is not shared by many at AUFC. Nothing will cause me to shift my views. I think (as I suspect) you have a good working knowledge of the AUFC-W set up and I also suspect you know its not the best and many coaches have come and gone only to be frustrated by the lack of a cohesive and strong plan forward.

I hope I'm wrong ad the results are excellent and we make the finals

The Roar model is something WE MUST ASPIRE TO. It will only occur if the FFSA and AUFC get on board and nut it out. For me, the AUFC is only interested in the A and Y leagues.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Hoping new ownership will bring a bit of positive change. I’m willing to give Piet a bit of time.

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

I have more faith in the new regime than with the old egocentric mob. The AUFC-W set up will take time to settle in and maybe not this season. Also needs some work on encouraging more players to come out and trial.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

I know I said I would not comment further but:-

Junior supporter-Please accept my apologies. I meant it to read “ouch” to the comments BTK wrote not you. I agree with most of your comments especially that BTK was vague with some of her comments.

I have decided due to the ongoing negative comments about players in the team, not only recently but in the past seasons, I will no longer contribute to any topic in the women’s forum. I can not relate to people who seem to find it enjoyable to criticise local players because it seems their “favourites” are not in the team in place of them. Maybe I am too one eyed towards our W-league team and this contributes to me getting so annoyed about the criticism. Unlike some though, I will support the team no matter who is selected and no matter what the results are, which I think any true supporter should do. My belief is that AUWFC will make the finals within 3 years. I look forward to that achievement. For all the people who want to keep expressing your negative thoughts towards players, I say go for it if it makes you feel better. However, do the team a favour and stay at home when they play in Adelaide because no team needs supporters like you!

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Sorry Coyote and Junior. You have the wrong end of the stick.

On second thoughts. I'd best keep my view to myself. Roll on 2018/19 and let's hope.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

A shame to lose Jenna Mc to Brisbane for this W league season.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

It is. Along with the non-return of Huerta (season 20167/17), Colaprico, Jones, Eliza (GK), Norton, there is a concern over here.

Jena is at the cross roads with AFL-W and W League. Not sure what she's been offered to play with AUFC however, cannot be up there with marquee visa player pay packet. Jena is an excellent player trying to make a decent living out of the game/s she loves.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Congratulations to Charlie Grant winning player of the year Saturday night - sounded like she is almost signed at Adelaide United.

I think the rest of the contracts will be signed Friday

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Predictions for Round 1?

I am hoping we get an early win against MV, 3-2.

Squad list

Grace ABBEY
Amber BROOKS
Georgia CAMPAGNALE
Emma CHECKER (c)
Emily CONDON
Chelsie DAWBER
Fanndís FRIÐRIKSDÓTTIR
Charlotte GRANT
Michelle HEYMAN
Emily HODGSON
Kahlia HOGG
Dylan HOLMES
Laura JOHNS
Gunnhildúr JÓNSDÓTTIR
Veronica LATSKO
Sian MCLAREN (GK)
Meleri MULLAN
Sarah WILLACY (GK)

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

It will be interesting to see how we go in what I think will be a tough league.

They said on Bill and Boz last night that all the W league games are being televised this year so hopefully that's a good promotion for the league.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

https://www.w-league.com.au/news/round- ... -sydney-fc

A derby to start the season tonight view on fox. :wink:

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

Will be a lomggggggggggggggggggggggggg season.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Brenton T wrote:Will be a lomggggggggggggggggggggggggg season.
Im thinking the same but I am hoping that I am wrong - we started well last year and then went downhill from there. It does seem other teams have been strengthened so its not going to be easy even if we have improved.

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

I may be on my own here however, I've always seen (considered) the overseas stars to be the icing on the cake rather than the "reasons if we are to succeed". Yes they are talented however, they are here for a short time and it takes quite a few games to get into the groove with our local talent who in comparison are inexperienced and sometimes aren't able to fully show their abilities. My opinion of course.

In any case, disregard Adelaide at your peril I say.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Positive to get our first clean sheet in years yesterday, and some good performances from some individuals but we certainly have a lot of work to do in order to link up nicely as a team. Soaked up a lot of pressure but felt we were just lucky Victory had a bad day in front of goal. Lots of long balls from us.

A hard earned and needed point.

Anyone else watch?

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

Didn't get to watch the full game so I relied on twitter feeds from all sources and I watched a highlights package on YouTube which confirmed the tweets in that AUFC were under the pump by MVC. Very Very lucky to get away with a draw. The line-up was shuffled a tad which is a good sign for Ivan. Shows he's willing to swing changes. 10/10 IVAN.

The challenge (as has been in past seasons) is to get the team to gel. The local girls and their abilities are what will get us to the top 4. The internationals are there as a bonus. Hence why we need the best possible LOCAL talent playing for AUFC if we are to make the finals.

Rightside wrote:Positive to get our first clean sheet in years yesterday, and some good performances from some individuals but we certainly have a lot of work to do in order to link up nicely as a team. Soaked up a lot of pressure but felt we were just lucky Victory had a bad day in front of goal. Lots of long balls from us.

A hard earned and needed point.

Anyone else watch?