Round 18

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Round 18

Post by juniorsupporter »

Fulham (if posted team sheet is correct)
City
West Adelaide
Metro

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Round 18

Post by Coyote »

Fulham 2 Cumberland 1
Adelaide City 3 NTC 1
West 3 Uni 1
Metro 6 Inter 0

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Fulham over Cumby 3-0 (McCormick, Nagel and T Harrison back in the line up) Max at the helm. New coach at Cumby is having them play a slightly more attacking game however, with no return on the scoresheet. Quite possibly, given the high stales of this game, Cumby may resurrect its high press defensive game and frustrate Fulham.

City 4 over NTC 1 (Would not be surprised if its a draw). NTC are a well drilled side however, City are on the march towards finals and are wanting to regain top spot if Metro falters along the way.

Westies 1 - Uni 2 - Uni have been up and down in spots but it will be NO surprise if they can get a draw or a win. Westies have been below their 2017 best but CANNOT be underestimated.

Metro 5 - 0 Salisbury (No Macca is a worry) - Salisbury have had coaching changes and the side can at times presents a tough fight with hard as nail players. Metro will need to deal with the physical presence of Salisbury add capitalise on all its goal scoring chances.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Games played and won/lost/drawn and the ladder basically remains as it was/has been except for the relegation cup battle between Cumberland and Fulham. 3-2 Fulham's way saw them move off the bottom. I

City v NTC was a predictable result but my spies tell me that NTC took it up to them Result predictable.

Westies v Uni - I would have expected more wins and less draws for Westies in 2018. Uni have not been able to get consistent results this season and hopefully, they are planning for a resurgence in 2019. Score predicable.

Salisbury and Metro played out a 0-4 game with Metro taking the win. Macca was out however, not sure that would have made a difference. Has Jones ben the recruit that SI had been hoping for?

3 rounds to go and top spot is still there for the taking.

Hydration Officer
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Hydration Officer »

SAD GAL wrote:Games played and won/lost/drawn and the ladder basically remains as it was/has been except for the relegation cup battle between Cumberland and Fulham. 3-2 Fulham's way saw them move off the bottom. I

City v NTC was a predictable result but my spies tell me that NTC took it up to them Result predictable.

Westies v Uni - I would have expected more wins and less draws for Westies in 2018. Uni have not been able to get consistent results this season and hopefully, they are planning for a resurgence in 2019. Score predicable.

Salisbury and Metro played out a 0-4 game with Metro taking the win. Macca was out however, not sure that would have made a difference. Has Jones ben the recruit that SI had been hoping for?

3 rounds to go and top spot is still there for the taking.
Will the powers to be be happy or sad if they get relegated ? Ask the question as appears to be a push for all wnpl clubs to have an affiliation with a men's npl club.
How are some clubs allowed to allegedly bend the rules slightly ?
e.g. how does a wnpl team wearing yellow strip allowed to play with all blue under skins ? were they fined ?
They also need to mindful getting "kids" to officiate in wnpl games - watching Adelaide City play other week, Adelaide City player lifted her foot to control a waist high ball, her opponent came from behind her and tried to head it, match official gave the other player a free kick and yellow card to AC player ? she would not have seen her coming.
It is great we have so many young girls wanting to officiate, please move them up when they are experienced enough to handle it.
Then the other night I heard there was a junior game called off because the away team shirts clashed with the home team Goalkeeper top, and the away team did not have change strip ? ? Is that really a rule ? How many other clubs know that ?
what happens the away strip clashes with the home team strip, what happens then ? Interesting scenario, wonder what the outcome will be ?

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Good questions

I'll only take 2/3 on board and give my insight. Easiest first.

1) Solution to clashing strips etc. Bring both sets of playing strips to a game including 2-3 options for the GK. I think most clubs have that in place. If its an WNPL game, the FFSA allocate the strips the day prior to or at the very least early on game day.

2) Affiliation with a men's club? Is that a requirement or where some clubs are going? Not sure this is mandatory. So for mine, there is no rule bending. What is a requirement is that each club has a junior set up. Is that still correct?

3) Will they be sad if Cumby or Fulham get relegated? I'd say they wouldn't be happy because these two teams are the long standing foundation members of the women's premier league. Question is...Why are they in that position? What have they learned from past years (Cumby) with being in the relegation fight the last 2 years? And more importantly what are both teams doing to make sure they move back up the table. I think Cumby are trying. Fulham are just trying to avoid the drop. It's Long term and looking towards season 2019, how will both teams improve?

Cumby to get relegated and Fulham to survive by the skin of its teeth in 2018. Season 2019 will see Comets come in and they will definitely not be sitting bottom. So for me, Fulham will be most at risk next season to be bottom and fall away.

Will the FFSA be sad then? Well, it's a improve or sink.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Reading the Competition Rules, it does state if the home team goalkeeper only has one top she does not have to change if it clashes with the visiting team strip, all the away teay team can be mad eto change their shirts ??? like what has already been said, what if the visiting teams away strip is the same colour as the home team strip - Sad gal are you saying all teams need to have three different coloured strips ? But the Laws of the game state all Goalkeepers must wear a top that does not clash with the home or away team ??
What takes precedence Competitiion Rules, or the Laws of the Game, or common sense ?

If a womens club has been with a mens club before and it did not work, why force it upon them ?
What is to stop the FFSA programming Cumberland mens team, to play after Cumberlands womens team, they can still do that cant they ?
I don't know why the two clubs are in that position, could have something to do with losing a whole bunch of players to the development squads and those players not returning to their clubs afterwards,maybe they should have a rule that they go back to their clubs for at least one season ?

Makes for interesting last few games, both teams will fight until the end.

As for next season, given how the third bottom side in the wnpl easily accounted for the Comets, they will need to do some recruiting to avoid going straight back down.
Just my thoughts.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Strip allocations, if there's a potential for a clash, are usually worked out between the clubs and FFSA ahead of time, at least at the Prems level. As for skins, I always thought that the refs had discretion. Experienced refs will not allow skins other than the colour of the strip.

As for alignment between men's and women's clubs/teams, I believe this is a directive from FFA as a part of the Whole of the Game/One game push. Remember FFSA is a member federation and has to abide by FFA directives and initiatives. Who knows how it will pan out in the long run. Men's teams also see alignment with women's programs as a way to increase their chances of getting state and federal grant money for improving facilities and building pitches.

As for Comets in the WNPL, they are recruiting I believe already. I reckon they need 4 or 5 real quality players to be competitive next year.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

It’s simple, teams register their home, away & 2 GK kits with the Ffsa at the beginning of the season.

Ffsa allocated kits to be worn by all, including officials, with the fixtures so it’s clear and put in place from the beginning of the season.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Good sensible discussions.

No I'm not saying all teams are required to have 3 different coloured strips. My experience is that the 2 H & A strips for the 10 players and the GK are approved before the season. I have heard/seen where a GK has 3 coloured strips. Common sense approach? Of course. BTW I think the green when worn by the GK is distracting as it clashes with the pitch. My view only however, the brighter the better so tat they stand out is the key.

Junior has some good views and points however, I do not think that the move towards a one club structure is probably aspirational and not mandatory. City may have wanted to get to be a part of the One Club and hopefully the two do co-exists without compromising what the WNPL team is striving for. A BIG club like city can mean the WNPL falls way below the youth and junior boys (unintentionally but it does happen).

I see any affiliation with a men's team and nothing more. Important to keep the identities apart and have boards and committees working towards their own specific goals. Makes sense and is sensible IMO. As far as "using the women teams" as a conduit to getting more funding? Not sure if this government is so amenable as the last.

RE: Comets? They WON'T be a Campbelltown MKII. As Junior said, they have already started approaching (forward player management planning I reckon) players if they are interested in a move. I don't think they will have too many issues attracting some name players across. I hear they have good structures in place, sound coaching, affiliation with the men's and possibly $$$ to pay. I think the move to the WNPL will be as successful as they possibly can make it. Our bottom two WNPL teams need to take heed and lift their games. Comets haven't been slouches in their planning for the WNPL.

I have no issues Comets approaching current WNPL players before the season's end.,

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Agree Paul it is simple, and thank you SAD GAL.

From what I read, the rule does not say the goalkeeper must have more than one top, maybe that needs to be changed.
I wonder how many clubs have registered the color of their GK strip ?

However I am guessing for this discussion to occur there must have been a coach or club official who took the Competition Rule to the letter of the law, and if it was Junior game probably a young or in experienced Ref who's job was made even more difficult.
You would think if two teams rock up to play, you would do what you can to get the game played. Seems common sense was not used on this occasion.
If clubs are going to use this rule, rather than change the GK top, and not play the game, should the rule be changed, to comply with the Law of the game ?
The Law of the game is simple, yet we as humans had to complicate things by modify the Law. :)

OldSchool
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by OldSchool »

In the Junior game being mentioned the away team turned up in their normal kit, Green and the keeper in Pink as per what has been registered with the FFSA. Yes their registered away kit is Yellow.

The home team keeper choose to wear Green thus causing a clash with the away team, please keep in mind her club has registered their keepers kits as Red, had the keeper used her nominated color there would not have been a clash.

Away team did not bring their away strip as there would and should not have been a clash if home team keeper had worn correct color.

Home team refused to change the keeper top, away keeper even offered one of her own spare keeper tops (that would not have clashed) to the home team keeper but that was declined as well.

Home team appears to have forgotten this was a junior game and the 2 teams of U17's just wanted to play football.

The 2 clubs played each other twice in a row since then and both times the away team wore their yellow away strip and the home team keeper wore Red.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

I always thought the ‘pecking order’ was

Home team
Away team
Officials
Home GK
Away GK

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

PM I reckon you're on the money.

Most of the clubs and officials are sensible and make changes on the night. Those that want to make an issue out of it are being belligerent and unsportsmanlike. Main thing is to get the game going, have a degree of formality and proper dress code and do it in the spirit of the game. Fair play.

It shouldn't be an issue.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

SAD GAL wrote:PM I reckon you're on the money.

Most of the clubs and officials are sensible and make changes on the night. Those that want to make an issue out of it are being belligerent and unsportsmanlike. Main thing is to get the game going, have a degree of formality and proper dress code and do it in the spirit of the game. Fair play.

It shouldn't be an issue.
Spot on, just play!

OldSchool
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by OldSchool »

Just to clarify, away team wanted to play!!!!

As mentioned the away team keeper offered one of her own spare shirts so the game could be played, and then with the OK from the referee the away team turned their shirts inside out which made them white and taped numbers on the back of the shirts so the game could be played, this was approved by the ref but refused by the home team.

All this would not have happened had the home team keeper worn the correct color shirt nobody could have foreseen that the keeper would choose green.

The referee was not a young and inexperienced referee he was an adult and seemed quite well informed but could not reason with the home team.

FFSA simply called it a no play as it didn't effect the final top 6 when the league was split for the 2nd round.

If this is the manner in which the home team intends to conduct it self when it enters the WNPL next season it is going to be a very long and painful season for other clubs.

Just let the kids play that's all they wanted to do

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Thank you for the clarification OldSchool, what a ludicrous situation, for all the players and parents and officials that gave up their time to be there, sounds like the away team girls did everything they could just to play.
I am surprised the home team were allowed to get away without copping any penalties, or even awarding the game to the away team.

Almost seems like some clubs make the slightest error and the powers to be are quick to hand out fines, yet other clubs can allegedly bend the rules to suit them, and cop nothing.
The powers to be, cannot talk about "fair play" when things like this go unpunished, and you have inconsistency and confusion of rules and regulations.

As for wnpl unless the people running the game do something, the same 3 clubs will dominate for years to come, unless some of those players follow the "incentives" a newly promoted club might offer, then it becomes the same team rebranded at another club.
Surely with all the development squads we have there should be enough players being developed, to spread around the clubs and make it a more even competition ( wnpl ) maybe the ffsa are already looking at that.

This being the 40th anniversary of the women's game in SA, what do we have to celebrate ?

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

OldSchool wrote:Just to clarify, away team wanted to play!!!!

As mentioned the away team keeper offered one of her own spare shirts so the game could be played, and then with the OK from the referee the away team turned their shirts inside out which made them white and taped numbers on the back of the shirts so the game could be played, this was approved by the ref but refused by the home team.
What a joke! If the ref is ok with it the game should go ahead. FFSA need to back up the ref here and go with his call, rather than letting the team whinge and whine and get away with this. Let the girls play, why would you prevent a game from going ahead over something so petty as a GK shirt??

Hydration Officer
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Hydration Officer »

sorry i have been away from the computer a while seems like i started a conversation, so maybe i should finish it, re clash of strips, everyone here seems to be of the same page that common sense should have prevailed and the game should have gone ahead and, the powers to be were too weak to act upon it.
All this could have been avoided if the Laws of the Game had not been amended by the people who did the Competition Rules.
My hope here is that particular competition rule is changed back so we comply with the FIFA Laws of the Game to avoid this scenario occurring again.

The wnpl sees same 3 teams fighting it out at top, yet again, until the players from these teams get old and retire, I cannot see this changing in the seasons ahead, and then we will see who has been developing the young players, ( providing they stay with their clubs).

For Fulham and Cumberland, if you do end up in the State league, it is not the end of the world, judging by how easily wnpl 3rd bottom side took care the Stage league champions in the cup, you both may only be in State league for one season.

Look at it this way the good juniors both these clubs are are developing, wondering, will it be more beneficial for them to step up to senior level as a struggling team in the wnpl, or a team that is winning some games in the State league ?

Fulham started a bit shaky now things have settled with former coach returning, and having a player like McCormick wanting to play for you is a credit to her, she could have chosen any of the top three clubs like some other clubs best players did, no, she decided to help a club in need, well done to her.
I feel for Cumberland, regarded as one of the more friendlier clubs, apart from change of coaches, loss of their captain ( transfer ) and key midfielder ( o/s ) at a crucial stage of the season is tough for any side let alone one struggling for survival.
Two games left, lets see what unfolds.

On a different note, what I find curious, how teams are allowed to compete in wnpl, when they don't have Junior teams in every age group ?
Should wnpl teams lose their points for failing to comply with this requirement, maybe Fulham and Cumberland are saved ? ( just kidding )

Seriously though how are these clubs in the WNPL ? I looked in all the junior divisions one club does not have any junior teams , another club has some teams, but not all age groups ?
Also, when young girls are lured into a development type team, in hope of playing the game at a higher level, is it a good thing to be taken away from a club environment ?
I ask that because it not only affects the player, her mom is probably a team manager for the team she was in, dad probably helped the coach, or ran the line, or helped with bbq etc, are people hard to replace these people, even harder when it is a dozen or so players that leave.
One last thing, we have some good young female referees coming through, whoever it is, needs be mindful in putting some of them on a pedestal and giving them wnpl games when they are not quite ready ( imo )

Having said all of the above, maybe all this is coming form a higher authority somewhere ?

Enough from me, maybe I should change my name to " talk too much "

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

Hydration Officer wrote:sorry i have been away from the computer a while seems like i started a conversation, so maybe i should finish it, re clash of strips, everyone here seems to be of the same page that common sense should have prevailed and the game should have gone ahead and, the powers to be were too weak to act upon it.
All this could have been avoided if the Laws of the Game had not been amended by the people who did the Competition Rules.
My hope here is that particular competition rule is changed back so we comply with the FIFA Laws of the Game to avoid this scenario occurring again.

The wnpl sees same 3 teams fighting it out at top, yet again, until the players from these teams get old and retire, I cannot see this changing in the seasons ahead, and then we will see who has been developing the young players, ( providing they stay with their clubs).

For Fulham and Cumberland, if you do end up in the State league, it is not the end of the world, judging by how easily wnpl 3rd bottom side took care the Stage league champions in the cup, you both may only be in State league for one season.

Look at it this way the good juniors both these clubs are are developing, wondering, will it be more beneficial for them to step up to senior level as a struggling team in the wnpl, or a team that is winning some games in the State league ?

Fulham started a bit shaky now things have settled with former coach returning, and having a player like McCormick wanting to play for you is a credit to her, she could have chosen any of the top three clubs like some other clubs best players did, no, she decided to help a club in need, well done to her.
I feel for Cumberland, regarded as one of the more friendlier clubs, apart from change of coaches, loss of their captain ( transfer ) and key midfielder ( o/s ) at a crucial stage of the season is tough for any side let alone one struggling for survival.

On a different note, what I find curious, how teams are allowed to compete in wnpl, when they don't have Junior teams in every age group ?
Should wnpl teams lose their points for failing to comply with this requirement, maybe Fulham and Cumberland are saved ? ( just kidding )

Seriously though how are these clubs in the WNPL ? I looked in all the junior divisions one club does not have any junior teams , another club has some teams, but not all age groups ?
Also, when young girls are lured into a development type team, in hope of playing the game at a higher level, is it a good thing to be taken away from a club environment ?
I ask that because it not only affects the player, her mom is probably a team manager for the team she was in, dad probably helped the coach, or ran the line, or helped with bbq etc, are people hard to replace these people, even harder when it is a dozen or so players that leave.
One last thing, we have some good young female referees coming through, whoever it is, needs be mindful in putting some of them on a pedestal and giving them wnpl games when they are not quite ready ( imo )

Having said all of the above, maybe all this is coming form a higher authority somewhere ?

seems one rule for one club and one for another! how the game is lowering even in the womens by the looks ?

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

magicfootball1 wrote:
Hydration Officer wrote:sorry i have been away from the computer a while seems like i started a conversation, so maybe i should finish it, re clash of strips, everyone here seems to be of the same page that common sense should have prevailed and the game should have gone ahead and, the powers to be were too weak to act upon it.

I guess at the end of the day that just want these clubs to survive, demographics , eg clubs within close proximity of each other and girls having a go at Australian rules are putting a strain on teams being fielded, I think they should scrap the compulsory rule and add an incentive based scheme where the club is rewarded by fielding junior squads each team would have to have a minimum of 13 registered players(except for modified rule teams) to be rewarded maybe with reduced fees or some other monetary incentive to the club.

seems one rule for one club and one for another! how the game is lowering even in the womens by the looks ?

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

magicfootball1 wrote:

I guess at the end of the day that just want these clubs to survive, demographics , eg clubs within close proximity of each other and girls having a go at Australian rules are putting a strain on teams being fielded, I think they should scrap the compulsory rule and add an incentive based scheme where the club is rewarded by fielding junior squads each team would have to have a minimum of 13 registered players(except for modified rule teams) to be rewarded maybe with reduced fees or some other monetary incentive to the club.

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

Not sure penalising a club is the answer.