Player movements before June cut off

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Armadillo
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Player movements before June cut off

Post by Armadillo »

I have heard from a few different sources that some players are considering moving club before the end of June cut off ?
The majority I’ve heard about are from the teams stacked with talented individuals (West and Metro) who aren’t getting significant game time week in week out. I’ve also heard mention of a few better players in struggling sides (Fulham and Cumberland) looking for a change of scene?

Can anyone shed more light on whether these rumours are true? Will there perhaps be a reshuffle of players before the June cut off?... that would be an interesting curveball for the league

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Player movements before June cut off

Post by SAD GAL »

Not heard this Armadillo. (good name btw).

Well westies have lost Ladas to Uni. Not sure who else may be looking for an opportunity.

Yes they and Metro recruited in the off season and brought in some top end talent and some that are looking for another chance with another club. They have all been firing. It's a long season so I'd be working hard at training and with whatever time you have been provided make it count. A good club should always be challenging players to earn and keep their spots. Those players you mention may take the option and transfer to another team in the quests for more game time however, that's no guarantee. Teams are looking to stabilise their starting 11 and build consistency. Will gaining a spot in a team out of the top 4 provide the environment to shine. Ariana Jones, McCormick & Co have made it in to such teams and whilst they are class acts, they need the support from a good team around them to deliver their best.

I suppose this is the environment the top teams have bene building towards and the level of competition shows that it is working.

Hard situation for those players though.

Armadillo wrote:I have heard from a few different sources that some players are considering moving club before the end of June cut off ?
The majority I’ve heard about are from the teams stacked with talented individuals (West and Metro) who aren’t getting significant game time week in week out. I’ve also heard mention of a few better players in struggling sides (Fulham and Cumberland) looking for a change of scene?

Can anyone shed more light on whether these rumours are true? Will there perhaps be a reshuffle of players before the June cut off?... that would be an interesting curveball for the league

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

I have not heard those rumours but in my opinion the current cut off date for transfers is far too late. Personally I think a more appropriate time (to be fairer for clubs but still give players some flexibility to move) would be if the FFSA changed it to say by the end of round 5. This would avoid the potential for “curve balls” that Armadillo suggest may happen this season.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

I think there are many other variables to consider in whether or not a transfer is approved by the FFSA. One is the Player Points System. Depending on where a club sits in the total point weighting including how many W league players on their roster will determine which club/s are able to take them on (if they are players that attract a hefty points weighting).

That's my take on the PPS

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Each club only gets 3 W-League players (who were contracted this past season), regardless of how many overall player points they have.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

There needs to be an incentive for W league & NTC players to return to their club of origin.

PPS can work but needs to be stricter than the men’s one, or clubs have limited transfers to play with each window, ie can only replace departing players ect

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

For someone on the outside, what intice players to change club being I’m led to believe money isn’t involved?

Trophies?
Pathways?
Friends?
Coaches?
Clubs?

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Opportunities?
Development?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I think that in the WNPL atm, two of the biggest factors are coaching, and playing time. Sometimes when a player is used to starting and then for whatever reason becomes a bench player or worse a reserves player, they will look to move to a club where they can start in Prems again. Who is coaching, and the quality of that coaching is also important. Sometimes it can be money, but it is still not most important for most as not all of the clubs pay their players- more are now but not all. And, in the open they can only pay so much per amateur rules...
Last edited by juniorsupporter on Tue May 01, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

What factors determine which club a player goes to OR why they leave a club?

The demands upon clubs by the top echelon of players will only continue to grow as the NTC players continue to flow through to the WNPL. They are used to the best and will expect the best from a potential club. Why not!!! This will only raise the bar higher.

What do those players look for in a club (no particular order)?
1) Ability to play with players of equal or better ability so that they can excel
2) Stability in the team/coaching to enable the above
3) Strong off field set up ie trainers, strength and conditioning and recovery programs to enable points 1 and 2
4) Remuneration is a consideration for the mid-range players because the top echelon most often than not look for a strong team with quality to enhance or showcase their abilities

Players are demanding an environment where they can achieve their best.

City, Metro and West Adelaide are examples where they attract quality players and retain them. if clubs do not, progress and develop they will end up at the bottom.
Moral of the story is that good clubs don’t lose good players. Many factors come into the equation.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

SAD GAL. Agree with some of your comments except your comment “moral of the story is that good clubs do not lose good players”. You mentioned earlier today that Ladas just left West. I would have thought that she would be rated as good considering 2 seasons ago she was in the Adelaide United women squad?

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Post by United We Stand »

Coyote wrote:SAD GAL. Agree with some of your comments except your comment “moral of the story is that good clubs do not lose good players”. You mentioned earlier today that Ladas just left West. I would have thought that she would be rated as good considering 2 seasons ago she was in the Adelaide United women squad?

Ally Ladas suffered a bad injury (Stress fracture) at AU preseason and was unable to train for a couple of months.She was going to have a break from the game as she was going overseas in May. Her decision to play a few games at Uni had nothing to do with her form or ability as Coyote rightfully points out.

P.S My apologies for the lateness of this post. I was told all this whilst visiting Adelaide (I am working in London) recently.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Mellanye Targino – Metro United WFC (WNPL) to Western Strikers (State League)

Taylor Garrett – Adelaide University (WNPL) to Salisbury United (State League)

Elle Pirintzis – Metro United WFC (WNPL) to Adelaide University (WNPL)

Ally Ladas – West Adelaide (WNPL) to Adelaide University (WNPL)

Jessica Goldfinch – Fulham United (WNPL) to Adelaide City (WNPL)

Elyse Moon – Adelaide City (WNPL) to Adelaide University (WNPL)

Esther Heywood-Smith –Adelaide University (WNPL) to Salisbury Inter (WNPL)

http://www.ffsa.com.au/transfer-centre- ... ns-update/

footballfan444
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by footballfan444 »

Word is that Steve Maxwell has resigned as Cumberland prems coach......?????
Guess for anyone wanting a fresh start under a new coach maybe Cumberland is the team worth considering before the cut off!

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

That's big news re: Maxy. Can't say I've seen him happy at the games this season. I always said he's only a striker or two away from top 4 and I still hold that to be true. With a bunch of players coming out of the NTC with past ties to Cumby, I'd say he be mad to leave now. Then again it may be that he's spent. A short time away may prove beneficial.

Sad thing is that this time last year we were commenting on the quality of coaches in the WNPL with the likes of Santrac, Maxy, McCormack, Primaro, Spagnoletti, Pezos and Jenkins. Santrac departed, now Maxy (if rumours are true) and Pezos (albeit he's still coaching unofficially) and Jenkins departing Uni to head up White City with a finger in the Salisbury camp.

Pleasingly Primaro quitting then only to be resurrected mid season.

Good thing Jenkins has now senior coach at Inter (tick tick) and Primaro has come out of retirement to slip back into the coaching ranks at Fulham (assistant or ??).

Season 2018 may see a couple of head coaches depart the WNPL.

Pitchy
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Pitchy »

footballfan444 wrote:Word is that Steve Maxwell has resigned as Cumberland prems coach......?????
Guess for anyone wanting a fresh start under a new coach maybe Cumberland is the team worth considering before the cut off!
Apparently, he was fired due to an incident at the game the other week, according to Cumby players.

The other news I heard was that the Prems Uni keeper is moving to Westies.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

West Adelaide seem to be picking up a couple. Stay tuned...

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

For me, stick with what you got KM. Westies have some good talent on the park (excellent) that haven't quite gelled but they will.

Dandylion
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Dandylion »

Maxwell was extremely unprofessional in a lot of his dealings, tactically unintelligent and very poor at managing people. Was doing the club no favours in the long run.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Pitchy wrote:
footballfan444 wrote:Word is that Steve Maxwell has resigned as Cumberland prems coach......?????
Apparently, he was fired due to an incident at the game the other week, according to Cumby players.

The other news I heard was that the Prems Uni keeper is moving to Westies.
Why? She isn't going to displace Willacy.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I believe Sarah has had surgery on one of her ankles/feet. I think she’s out for a bit. West Adelaide had Ruth Wallace in goals last Sunday v. City. It would appear they need a keeper.

Armadillo
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Armadillo »

I have heard that Cumberlands Captain has signed with West Adelaide ?? that could be a big blow to their chance or survival in the wnpl if it is true

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

Armadillo wrote:I have heard that Cumberlands Captain has signed with West Adelaide ?? that could be a big blow to their chance or survival in the wnpl if it is true
If true, its a massive blow.

Fulham have more confidence now, plus more player depth and some momentum.

Given Cumberland's loss of captain and coach, relegation is now a strong possibility.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

WOW. Cumby's in dire straits and Fulham on the rise with depth?

Let's see how that pans out tomorrow and the next few weeks.

Armadillo
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Armadillo »

I've now heard from a good source that she is registered and able to play. I am curious to go watch how tomorrow night plays out as West are playing Cumby.... That on top of Maxy's departure earlier in the week. Fulham should be feeling confident they can tip the scale now

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Very interesting developments at Cumberland. Not being involved with that club, I can only go on what people have stated over the last couple of days so I can not confirm what has actually transpired. If the captain has resigned though with just 6 matches remaining with her team so close to being relegated, this would seem to me an intriguing decision by her. Surely, there must be more to this story......

Armadillo
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Armadillo »

My thoughts exactly Coyote.... having seen her stick by the Cumberland side through relegation battles in the past couple of years, it does make one question what is going on behind closed doors at the club.
A mess for them but a very exciting opportunity for the improving Fulham girls to take advantage and keep another large club in the wnpl

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I would be disappointed to see either one of those clubs relegated. Both have been in the prems for a long time and have contributed a lot to the women's game. I think it will be sad either way.