The Matildas on Australian Story

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

The Matildas on Australian Story

Post by billy the kid »

So happy to see that this elite sport for women was featured on a story on Australian Story last evening. Hard to do it justice in half an hour. Worthy of a miniseries. The footage from years gone by was brilliant and so were the comments by Julie and Moya. Humble people who played for the love of the game and for their country. Also good to hear from Cheryl ever youthful.

Would have liked far less of Lisa D V whilst it was worthy, in a short 30 minute segment, I wanted to hear a lot more about the road travelled by Julie and Moya in years gone by and the fact that many players had to rely on part time jobs to survive and when they left for national duties, they got very little AND did not get paid by their workplaces. Players still have to forego much in pursuit of their national careers with little remuneration. The nude calendar segment should have really gotten into the why they had to resort to this and the abysmal pay they got.

Proud to be a part of the women’s football scene because in one way shape or form, the grass roots competitions and clubs are those that provide the foundations for our national team. If not for them, we would not be where we are now.

If we’re talking pay inequality, the real inequality isn’t in the workplaces because we all earn the same in the same job. I earn what my male counterparts earn. The real inequality is in the local WNPL and national teams. That’s where the fight needs to continue. Sadly there aren’t too many brave girls prepared to speak out for being afraid they will be castigated.