WNPL Round 1

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

FootballWatch
Apprentice
Apprentice

WNPL Round 1

Post by FootballWatch »

News from South Australia's local football leagues
https://www.footballwatch.co/

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: WNPL Round 1

Post by billy the kid »

What a first round of games and results. All but one I got right.

The NTC v Westies could have gotten really ugly for TC. 3 goals not a fair assessment of Westies' attacking forays. I counted at least 5 clear cut misses. Super impressed with West Adelaide. NTC....I'm worried. Macri with 2 goal is an excellent start with her new team.

City v Cumberland. Cumby are known to be a hard team to break down and score against. I wasn't at the game but by all accounts City had to work hard for their goals. Powell with two goals was a good return.

Fulham v Salisbury. Might need to revisit my predictions with Salisbury finishing in top 4 and Fulham near the bottom. Salisbury I thought, given Fulham's decimation of its starting 11 from 2017, weer going to romp away to a big win. Harts off to the tenacious and always competitive Fulham for a draw. It was round 1 so my prediction of a top 4 for Salisbury awaits however, they will need to get cracking. The team is a very good one.

Metro v Uni. WOW. WOW WOW. Uni surprised me with their first goal. I thought that an upset was in the making. Uni were skilful and hard working on and off the ball. Very disciplined. Good first goal however, that's where its stayed for them. Then enter Chrissy an what could be described as the goal of the round for sure.

Round 2 will be even better. 4 top class games on Friday at the Parks. Should be at least 1,000 plus spectators their that night.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I was at the City game - cumby played well and with heart, as usual. Pretty defensive with attempts to score on the counter. Having said that City missed 4 or 5 clear opportunities- hit upright twice, missed penalty, and several others. Score should have been higher. I’m not thinking that Cumby will be in danger of relegation this year.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

billy the kid wrote:
Metro v Uni. WOW. WOW WOW.
Then enter Chrissy for Metros and what could be described as the goal of the round for sure.
Great goal and I hear she is only 18. A high diagonal ball came in from the right across her body in the D and she hit first time on the volley into the top left hand corner. Great technique and timing and didn't try to over hit it. :wink:

LOVE OF FOOTBALL
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by LOVE OF FOOTBALL »

Billy the kid, I happened to be at the Uni and Metro game also and the goal from the young metro lass was outstanding and phenomenal. This goal I saw was the goal of the year.
This goal created so much buzz after the game you could hear supporters continually raving about the goal.
In all my football career, I have never had the privilege to see an 18 year old female player display such maturity and skill in putting away a goal in that manner. It was scintillating.
I hear that she maybe a Matilda in the making.
It was exciting to see Uni compete against a strong Metro side and show such composure. Looking forward for Uni to be a force in the future. GO UNI.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Hi Love of Football.

I agree with your summary and from what I saw of the game, Uni have displayed great composure and skill throughout the game. Metro were good ad the build up to their goals were very very good. Class work however, Uni were not disgraced. Had a few opportunities and could have scored.

There were questions raised (mine) about the new look (if you can say that) Uni team and what game style would be played with the advent of Cote leaving and a new coach in place of Jenkins. I've heard on the grapevine that they have invested a lot of time on the track to develop their game style.

Metro have the depth of the bench and squad generally which is a big plus. Hardness, maturity and skill have bene their hallmarks. I liked that game better than the earlier one with Westies and NTC. Yes there was a buzz and with 4 different scorers the goal scoring options are good.

Roll on Friday night and the feats of football at Valo. My head will be spinning....what games to watch!!!

Might need to revisit my assessment of Uni. I reckon given what I saw (albeit round 1) they could be in the top 4 at season's end. The new coach is doing amazing things if he can develop a team like that to play a high level of game like I saw.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Cumby have always been a hard side to break down. I've heard players say that they are harder than Metro, City and Westies. That's form a top notch player so I get your prediction. Given that, they haven't been a team to threaten to make the top 4. There are obviously flaws to their game that prevents this.
juniorsupporter wrote:I was at the City game - cumby played well and with heart, as usual. Pretty defensive with attempts to score on the counter. Having said that City missed 4 or 5 clear opportunities- hit upright twice, missed penalty, and several others. Score should have been higher. I’m not thinking that Cumby will be in danger of relegation this year.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

LOVE OF FOOTBALL wrote:Billy the kid, I happened to be at the Uni and Metro game also and the goal from the young metro lass was outstanding and phenomenal. This goal I saw was the goal of the year.
This goal created so much buzz after the game you could hear supporters continually raving about the goal.
In all my football career, I have never had the privilege to see an 18 year old female player display such maturity and skill in putting away a goal in that manner. It was scintillating.
I hear that she maybe a Matilda in the making.
It was exciting to see Uni compete against a strong Metro side and show such composure. Looking forward for Uni to be a force in the future. GO UNI.
I too was lucky enough to witness probably the best goal I've seen to date in Women's Futbal & not only scoring a fantastic goal but proving to be a dangerous striker & a handful for the Uni defence.
Special mention too for the Metro right-fullback who help set up that astounding goal bec. was one of the best players on the night showing great composure when on the ball & her experience shone thru.

Thought Uni were decent on the night however always had the feeling Metro would overpower them.
A few quick criticism's re: Uni , firstly I believe their centre forward (Valeria ?) was largely ineffective on the night & to me was wasted playing in that position bec I can see is a talented player.
Also the Uni right full back struggled most of the night to make a straight forward pass (she was frustrating the shiraz out of me). On the positive side their left winger (striker) worked tirelessly & was easily their standout player. Also worth mentioning I was impressed with the athleticism of the defender who came on as the sub. in the 1st half & to me looked too good to be warming the bench.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Clearly Chrissy is a striker with talent- she seems to have found a good home at Metro, a place where she can learn and grow. I wasn't at the game, all I saw was the still photo that Adam Butler took, the goal looked amazing, even from a still photo. Let's let her enjoy her football without placing huge expectations on her ("a Matilda in the making")... players play best when they're happy and not stressed about what's next. Which for Chrissy would be a W-League gig. Very glad to see her playing well. I hope she can find consistency throughout the season and get to the next level. In the meantime, we get to enjoy watching her in the WNPL... :D

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

I agree with your comments junior supporter. I was not at the game too but I do believe Chrissy is an upcoming geniune striker with time on her hands to reach her full potential.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

Friend of mine, who has extensive experience with the Women's game here in SA over many years, thought the goal was arguably the best strike they had seen at this level, given the execution and technical difficulty required.

Does anyone have footage?

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

snow white wrote:Friend of mine, who has extensive experience with the Women's game here in SA over many years, thought the goal was arguably the best strike they had seen at this level, given the execution and technical difficulty required.

Does anyone have footage?
There are some action pictures floating around on metros facebook I think.