Big Questions for WNPL Season 2018

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Big Questions for WNPL Season 2018

Post by SAD GAL »

1) Will season 2018 deliver another exceptional year from those teams in the WNPL?

2) Will the losses borne by Adelaide University and Fulham especially dent their top 4 aspirations

3) Will City continue on its way and cement top spot, never to be challenged?

4) Will Westies and Metro keep City on their toes and at the very least take second spot or challenge for top spot?

5) Will Salisbury Inter continue their rise and finish in the top 4?

6) Will the NTC have learned from past WNPL season and have prepared themselves to take the WNP by storm?

7) Will relegation be a factor all season for Cumby and Fulham?

M@rvin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Big Questions for WNPL Season 2018

Post by M@rvin »

8) Why start the season on the same weekend as Adelaide 500, when a lot of players would be working there.
The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible. It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work.

George Graham

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Marvin, do you know a lot of players are working at the Adelaide 500, or are you just supposing ("a lot of players WOULD be working there"). And if you do know players are working, then define "a lot". 8)

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

M@rvin wrote:8) Why start the season on the same weekend as Adelaide 500, when a lot of players would be working there.
There's always one..

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

:D And I took the bait of course...

To address Sad Gal's questions...and this is just my opinion, without having seen any of the teams play a regular season game...

I think the season will not be quite as exciting as last, although top spot may again come down to the last round.

I predict that City, Metro and West Adelaide will trade blows at the top of the table- Not sure who will finish top, but no team will completely dominate the season- each team will have many ins and outs throughout the season.

And it is possible that there will be different league, cup and gf winners...

I think fourth spot will probably be Salisbury with NTC, Uni and Cumby finishing 5-7 in any order, and Fulham will finish bottom.

No offence to any team if I've underestimated them- this is a fairly uninformed opinion.

alwaysoffside
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by alwaysoffside »

SAD GAL wrote:1) Will season 2018 deliver another exceptional year from those teams in the WNPL?

2) Will the losses borne by Adelaide University and Fulham especially dent their top 4 aspirations

3) Will City continue on its way and cement top spot, never to be challenged?

4) Will Westies and Metro keep City on their toes and at the very least take second spot or challenge for top spot?

5) Will Salisbury Inter continue their rise and finish in the top 4?

6) Will the NTC have learned from past WNPL season and have prepared themselves to take the WNP by storm?

7) Will relegation be a factor all season for Cumby and Fulham?
8) when will AFL-W players return to thier WNPL squads?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Which AFL-W players are you referring to? MJ and Ruthie haven’t played soccer in awhile, and I would imagine that Jenna would either go overseas again or give her body a bit of a break...can’t imagine that any of them would play in the WNPL...but of course I could be mistaken. All three are talented athletes that have a lot to contribute-

Or are you thinking of girls playing SANFL?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Unfortunately the season will be between adelaide city, west adelaide and Metro.
The remaining teams will be below par and only two teams will fight for 4th spot. Adel Uni and salis inter.
The remainder will fight for survival not to be relegated.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

a bigger question is will be there some consistency among the appointment of match officials, and the decisions they make ?

All WNPL clubs are trying their best and doing a great job of providing a good level of competition, and can not have top quality competition, if you have average standard match officials.

Seems the three glamour clubs you mention, allegedly had a lot of decisions go their way in the 50/50 contests when the opposition won the ball, on critical parts of the field.
Understandable why some coaches and players became frustrated, when FFSA impose all these strict rules on all clubs, then appoint match officials who are okay, but not up to WNPL standard.

I trust this season you will not have three of the top clubs not treated like a protected species, and we will see more consistency in the decision making, I wont hold my breath.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

WOW General. WOW.

Good analysis re: officials. The Assistants have been below par. I get it they're trying to bring more women into the comp but to learn their craft at WNPL isn’t good. Why? Pace of the game…quick decision making plus being influenced by the crowds (not club officials or coaches bench I might add) leads to poor decision making. I get it why they’re there and I encourage their participation.

The 3 glamour clubs you speak of and the decisions that go their way is an interesting one. I’ve only focused on my “non-glamour club” however, I thought at times we were denied decisions but I didn’t think it was biased towards against Metro, City or Westies. It depends from what angle you look at it, an argument can be made for either.

I think out all of the glamour clubs, Pezos would have been the most intimidating character on the sideline that if, you could mount an argument for favourable decisions, his mere presence could have an influence however, I don’t think this is the case. My opinion only.

In support of the glamour clubs, it’s with most sports that the more inexperienced teams can infringe far more often than one of the teams you intimate as getting a good run with decisions.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

I'm assuming that you're all aware that the four main female officials from WNPL 2017 participated in the W-League 2017/18 season? They are all quality officials.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Lucas Leiva wrote:I'm assuming that you're all aware that the four main female officials from WNPL 2017 participated in the W-League 2017/18 season? They are all quality officials.

That makes them quality??? Or is this meant to be in blue?
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Where’s the best place to follow live scores?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Clearly needs some work on social media, can follow men’s NPL easily, wnpl not so easily.
Put the game out there.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

paul merson wrote:Clearly needs some work on social media, can follow men’s NPL easily, wnpl not so easily.
Put the game out there.
Big Man,

I'm involved and i find it hard to get results.

We have to ring around hoping we know someone at the other ground.

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gee_kay »

same had a phone call from other ground to get result of game.

i think they are as follow

FFSA NTC 0 West Adelaide 3
Metro Utd 4 Adelaide Uni 1
Adelaide City 2 Cumberland 0
Salisbury Inter 0 Fulham 0
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Cheers

Metro & Adel City tweet there’s, but I had to message a player to get her result, in this day & age.

Today my feed will be smashed with NPL updates & results.

If you’re involved in a wnpl club do your club a favor and somebody putting results out, clubs like Metro & City putting out extra content has been great but please just get the basics.

On another angle, the games are at 2 grounds, any chance of a FFSA tweeting updates?

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

paul merson wrote:Cheers

Metro & Adel City tweet there’s, but I had to message a player to get her result, in this day & age.

Today my feed will be smashed with NPL updates & results.

If you’re involved in a wnpl club do your club a favor and somebody putting results out, clubs like Metro & City putting out extra content has been great but please just get the basics.

On another angle, the games are at 2 grounds, any chance of a FFSA tweeting updates?
We at Uni try to use Twitter and Instagram on the night as I know AC and Metro as mentioned earlier.
I would be good if there was an app, possibly an option in the future for Footballwatch to become to main focus if the recognise the growing following of the WNPL.

Just a thought.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Am surprised that WNPL isn't on Futbol24 app.