program aims to boost number of female coaches

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

program aims to boost number of female coaches

Post by johnydep »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-20/ffa-coaching-program-aimed-at-females/9464908 wrote:SA soccer program aims to boost number of female coaches

A program is trying to attract more women into coaching to match the strong recent growth in women's sport.

Football Federation SA (FFSA) has just held its first female-only Asian Football Confederation C-licence coaching course.

"There's a lot of interest in the women's game from the excellent job the Matildas have done, and certainly at the local level as well, and it cries out as the game's growing for the female coaching base to grow as well," FFSA's John Mundy said.

The C-licence program teaches basic skills and techniques so the coaches are able to work primarily with young players.

"It's part of a two-year project where our focus and priority is female coaching," Mr Mundy said.

"We're looking for some of these girls learning to coach to also be instructors on courses down the track."

Mr Mundy pushed for the course after noticing there were few female coaches in the local Women's National Premier League and no female head coaches for SA's state teams.

"We think we could get to a stage where we even see females coaching the male teams," he said.

"A good coach is a good coach so there's no reason why a female couldn't be coaching a male team, in my view."

The first intake of 10 women included some school teachers interested in coaching."

'Male-dominated industry needs balance'

Program director Cristiano dos Santos Rodrigues, a former Adelaide United striker, said women benefited from the all-female coaching group.

"They talk more about football, they express their knowledge of football a bit more than if they are mixed with men," he said.

"When they are with men they feel a bit intimidated."

Lauren Daniel, a soccer player for 12 years, got involved in the program hoping it might provide a pathway to coaching at national or international level.

"It's quite a male-dominated industry at the moment. I just think it was a lot more relaxed having just females there and some friends as well," the Adelaide teacher said.

"[It's] good to get more females involved so that young people can look up and realise women can be a coach and can be really good coaches as well."

The Matildas have been coached by a woman just once in their 40-year history, when Hesterine de Reus from the Netherlands spent 15 months in the job.

There are two female head coaches among the nine W-League teams — Heather Garriock at Canberra United and Brisbane's Mel Andreatta, this year's W-League premiership coach.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: program aims to boost number of female coaches

Post by juniorsupporter »

How well publicised was this course? After the fact is not as useful as publicising well beforehand-

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

juniorsupporter wrote:How well publicised was this course? After the fact is not as useful as publicising well beforehand-
They sent a broad email communication out in September to test interest.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Must have missed that one...

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

juniorsupporter wrote:Must have missed that one...
I'm not sure what distribution list they used, but it seems like it went to registered players.

M@rvin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by M@rvin »

I found out about the course after an inquiry about recognition of coaching qualifications from the US (which are not recognised by FFA).
However at a cost of $900, reduced from $1200 my daughter who plays and works part time had to decline the offer to attend.
The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible. It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work.

George Graham

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

M@rvin wrote:I found out about the course after an inquiry about recognition of coaching qualifications from the US (which are not recognised by FFA).
However at a cost of $900, reduced from $1200 my daughter who plays and works part time had to decline the offer to attend.

looks like there is about 20 people in the photo who did the course x $900 = $18,000 ???

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Think many in the photo were players who participated in drills run by the women taking the course. Don’t think they were all c license candidates.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

The General wrote:
M@rvin wrote:I found out about the course after an inquiry about recognition of coaching qualifications from the US (which are not recognised by FFA).

looks like there is about 20 people in the photo who did the course x $900 = $18,000 ???
10 coaches in total

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gee_kay »

Pretty sure not all were charged either
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

themagnet wrote:
The General wrote:

10 coaches in total

just checked the group photo ( ffsa facebook page ) of everyone involved at least 36 people there minus 10 = 26
The write up does not tell you anything - eg how many were coaches, or how many graduated to become coaches

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

looks like there is about 20 people in the photo who did the course x $900 = $18,000 ???[/quote]

10 coaches in total[/quote]

just checked the group photo ( ffsa facebook page ) of everyone involved at least 36 people there minus 10 = 26
The write up does not tell you anything - eg how many were coaches, or how many graduated to become coaches[/quote]

no, they just passed them all, now we have 20-30 coaches that got an easy ride! :roll: