Sydney and M City GF and AUFC 2018/19

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Sydney and M City GF and AUFC 2018/19

Post by billy the kid »

Watched the Sydney v Melbourne City final . Well done to MC. 3 in a row.

Question is…How far are we in SA to get to that level or are we already there ?

From what I have seen, we have the nucleus of a good team. MC and others have a mix of internationals, experienced national team and state league players and some younger ones. I don’t any of the teams are a complete team and without flaws.

I still think that with a few tweaks and the local players taking the initiative and moving from WNPL teams into the AUFC structure in August for a proper down load and pre-season will address the fading out and lack of consistency with late or early gaols conceded. Happy to hear all views so don’t shoot me. All options need exploring.

As I said, I think we are almost there.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Sydney and M City GF and AUFC 2018/19

Post by Coyote »

BTK, I do support your opinion that AUWFC have the nucleus of a good team and are “almost there”. In my opinion, they need 2-3 more quality players (Matilda level) to be finals contenders. Easier said than done though…..

It was interesting that Melbourne City won the grand final with Patrick Kisnorbo at the helm. I think apart from him being an asst coach last season, he previously had little experience in coaching women. I am not 100% sure on this, but if true, it would support people’s opinions that the coach does not necessarily need to have experience in coaching women to be a success in the women’s game?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Sydney and M City GF and AUFC 2018/19

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks Coyote.

Good comments however, like you easier said than done. I suspect that Chids and Condon (on the back of 2017/18) will not return to AUFC in seasons coming up. They need to be elsewhere. Where can we attract other matildas if we cannot retain our own? I have no idea...apart from paying $20k per player otherwise no hope.

Coach? I agree with your comments. For mine its about the coaching and not about M or F. Capability and commitment to the squad is what is needed.

Season 2018/19 will be a vastly different year for AUFC and so it should be. So close yet we are so far away in may aspects. First cab off the rank is a full commitment by AUFC to retain the W league team and resource it well. Not one double headers this season with AUFC men. SHAME.