Adelaide Comets - Team most likely

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Adelaide Comets - Team most likely

Post by billy the kid »

Due to the promotion and relegation scenario in the WNPL, I have become a keen casual observer of the last 2 years on not only the those teams at risk of relegation but those teams in the State League that are primed for a move up.

I have looked at the upward trajectory of Salisbury and the predictions that they will do great things in 2018 and possibly make top 4. They are the blueprint for those wanting to take the leap into the WNPL. Preparation whilst in the State League is a must otherwise the move to the WNPL will be a short one.

Comets for mine have been slowly building over the last year two and have, from my sources, assembled a strong structure around the women’s comp with a view to getting into the WNPL in 2019. They had recruited well last season and made some significant $$ offers to get WNPL players across to their State league team. Although many resisted the decent money and stayed in the WNPL, this year has seen the recruitment of some decent players who, for whatever reason, moved down with the Comets. The selling pitch must be good.

For me, I see them dominating State league in 2018 with one eye on the WNPL for 2019. I suspect their recruiting hunt will continue in 2018 for the move to the WNPL with decent coin being offered. I think they know they are set for a move to the WNPL and I a happy to read/see that they are taking this seriously and will build and recruit what they need to make it happen.

This is exactly what should happen. Those at risk of relegation from the WNPL should take a hard look now (may be too late for some) and sort out their team ad off field support, remuneration of key players or they will be in State League in 2019. I’m talking about WNPL stalwarts that will drop down.

Well done to the Comets. This is what the WNPL and women’s league needs.

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Adelaide Comets - Team most likely

Post by C U Next Saturday »

will it get sportsbird approval though????

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Not sure C U however, my view are mine and designed to create discussion on my observations which I may add are based on fact. Apart from Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings etc., I rather follow fact and not fiction when presenting my views.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Adelaide Comets I hear were unlucky not to be the in the WNPL in 2018 if it were not for ther NTC.
What I have heard around that the Comets sector is that they have prepared a five year plan for the women's competition 2 years ago and it looks like heading into fruition.
I have been told by a long term member of the club that the female comets are building slowly and will be a top 4 club in the coming years.
The member also highlighted the Comets have set structures and procedures in place to ensure if they enter the WNPL in 2019 that it will be for a long term not a short term. He also said the club is fully committed towards the women team and have increased their financial support for the future.
The club appeared to have recruited very well with several players coming from the WNPL teams and the FFSA State teams.
Good luck to the Adelaide Comets and wish you all the best in your endeavour to enter the WNPL in 2019

On a sad note, Fulham and Salisbury Inter will face off for relegation. Especially, Fulham who have been decimated with players abandoning the club. Goes to show some men clubs still do not fully support the women's teams into the future. They need to see the AFLW taking off and how important women are in sport.
CUWFC and the NTC is a mystery.

My top 4 picks is as follows:
1. MUWFC
2. Adelaide City
3. West Adelaide
4. Adelaide Uni (have a question mark on this one though)

I believe there will be great battles again between Adelaide City and MUWFC.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Hi Sportsbird

Thanks for a well thought out response to my post. I have no affiliation with Comets however, it’s a club that as you say have a plan and will work towards achieving it. They started their recruitment from the women’s leagues in 2017. Whilst money was the key motivator, I would hope that a solid structure on and off the field can be demonstrated If it hopes to attract quality WNPL and other recruits to their club. Otherwise landing a big fish or two or three from the top WNPL teams will be nigh on impossible.

The top echelon of players will be in one of the top 3-4 teams whose coaching and off field support including training programs are at a very high level. Those players will only move IF they have equal structures in place.

Nevertheless, yes it is good to see a club equally direct resources to its women’s program This is also a big selling point to potential recruiting targets.

I do not agree that Salisbury will be in relegation. I think it will go down to Fulham (80% likely to go down) or Cumberland (55% chance of relegation). Fulham’s woes are interesting to say the least. From what I have heard, they are in dire straits with almost all of the starting 11 of 2017 gone. One or two is usually natural attrition however 90-95% turnover is indicative of poor decision making at committee level. Lack of support for women? I don’t think that would be the case for Fulham. Always had a strong program.

Otherwise good discussion