Lady Reds in Dissaray

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Lady Reds in Dissaray

Post by billy the kid »

Hi Sportsbird

McCormack as in Kev or McCormick as in Jenna...Sorry I could not resist the urge to correct you. My apologies.

In response, and taking out my assessment of the squad of late, I agree with what you have heard on the grapevine. The coach will only sit back and cop so much if warranted and given that he only has a limited time to work with the squad (and a myriad of personalities, abilities and international) he will make sure that if he is to cop criticism that he will do what he needs to do so that any criticism is warranted.

I agree with the 4 players in question.

The local players need to go back and focus only on WNPL. As I have said before this rolling from one season to another without a proper break (mental and physical) will, for the younger let alone older players will result in fatigue and effect performances. We saw that during the year where players were losing focus and thereafter losing a game late in the final half.

Secondly, a lot of the players, because of circumstances, are not adept to moving seamlessly into a new team environment with different dynamics and game plans etc. In the WNPL or NTC its consistently the same and this sits the developing and young players. The message is the same as it the environment. Adaptability is still to be developed.

The internationals have signalled that their time is up here and new experiences interstate is warranted. Can’t blame them. They are the blueprint of what a mature and well balanced player is able to do. They come across here and are able to adapt to a new environments seamlessly and perform.
Jones?? Bye Bye. No loss. Too much baggage. I suspect Eliza will be picked up by an interstate team and will not return. Understandable that given Matilda’s duty, the eastern states beckon.

It will be interesting to see what Ivan’s wish list/demands are? As I have said on here previously, the players aren’t contracted beyond the season (generally) and that they then return to the WNPL. I do not see AUFC (if they retain the team) will agree to further expenditure and have them train/access AUFC facilities when they do not have an obligation to do so.

I think if my mind serves me well, recent coaches have tried this and were quickly shut down with NO. FFSA and AUFC both.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

MegaBonus wrote:
"When is Adelaide United Football Club going to get their heads out of the rear and begin searching for the right coach (Female or Male) who have had several years experience in coaching women".
how does coaching women differ to coaching men???

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I think that in hindsight (10 years worth) that the coach needs to be able to put together a team that hits the ground running from first game through to the grand final with:

1) minimal preparation
2) interstate and visa players
3) manage the transition from WNPL/NTC into the W league squad at a time that there is a clear break from one season to the oither4) motivate and keep the squad at peak performance
4) select players with the right physical and mental toughness.
5) the other thing, are players willing to step away from their WNPL/NTC team in July to transition across with a half decent pre-season?

So for mine me, male or female, the challenges will be the same for any coach who takes on the team.

Otherwise there is only one person that fits the bill with experience and qualifications in women's football....and he's in the wnpl comp
God is an Englishman wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:
"When is Adelaide United Football Club going to get their heads out of the rear and begin searching for the right coach (Female or Male) who have had several years experience in coaching women".
how does coaching women differ to coaching men???

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

I think that in hindsight (10 years worth) that the coach needs to be able to put together a team that hits the ground running from first game through to the grand final with:

1) minimal preparation
May as well have ended there.
With out preparation the only way to win is by having better players than the opposition & hoping they haven't prepared as a team either.
How long does it take to build a football style?

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Hi Sportsbird

With your information yesterday from your “reliable source” it seems to me Ivan has been or will be “locked in” as coach for 2018/2019 season. Is that your understanding?

I am looking forward to the start of next season to see just how accurate your “reliable source” is.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Coyote wrote:Hi Sportsbird

With your information yesterday from your “reliable source” it seems to me Ivan has been or will be “locked in” as coach for 2018/2019 season. Is that your understanding?

I am looking forward to the start of next season to see just how accurate your “reliable source” is.
My understanding he was given a two year contract. However, I do not believe he will coach the lady reds next season as Ivan has been offered another gig.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for responding Sportsbird.

I suppose then if Ivan is not going to coach next season all that your “reliable source” told you is irrelevant.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Coyote wrote:Thanks for responding Sportsbird.

I suppose then if Ivan is not going to coach next season all that your “reliable source” told you is irrelevant.
Coyote
Ivan has a two year contract. Thats a fact.
I believe from the talk around the AUWFC circles is that Ivan has been offered another gig and he may accept it. If he doesnt he will continue as head coach.
Hope this makes it clearer for you coyote.