Lady Reds in Dissaray

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Lady Reds in Dissaray

Post by sportsbird »

The rumour has it the interstate and overseas players will not return to Adelaide next year if Ivan is coaching. A couple of overseas players weren't going to return this season but were cohearsed into returning by monetary value. Also, several high profile South Australian players have the same intentions and will move on next season. Things are not right at the home front. Players are reportedly laying the blame on their Head Coach for a disappointing season.
When is Adelaide United Football Club going to get their heads out of the rear and begin searching for the right coach (Female or Male) who have had several years experience in coaching women.
This has been an ongoing issue over many years and it still has not been resolved. We currently have great WNPL coaches that can do the job and understand what is required to build a successful team.
Adelaide United WFC is going in a backward trend and needs to be addressed quickly. AUWFC is now looking at bottom of the table or at least best 2nd bottom.
This is not good enough, Ivan should consider resigning as head coach due to his poor season including poor coaching during matches, poor communication between players, poor selection etc.
I just hope that the players can win the last two games for their own benefit and confidence.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Lady Reds in Dissaray

Post by MegaBonus »

gee.....I guess with you, its always the (male) coach's fault....spin another record....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

To me the recent performance against the Jets didn't indicate the type of unrest in the camp that you are pointing out.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

A win against the Jets is only looked in isolation to arrive at the conclusion that all is well. I suspect its pride amongst the group that achieved the result and not the coaching. Maybe that is what Travis came on board late in the season. Morale will/is at an all time low. I don't think the USA girls will be back here. Given Kerr is going to Chicago, I'd say the current Chicago AUFC-W girls will head to Perth next year. Eliza in goals won't be back. AJ....Should consider AFL-W. Chids may/will go interstate next season.

he ramifications of a disastrous 2017/18 season cannot be understated. We will struggle to get players of note coming here for the right reasons.

I've been critical of AUFC about the W League team and what it should do however, it's a hard thing to establish what should happen next year given what I have read herein.

Clear out all players and start afresh (possible) Put a team in the WNPL (unlikely) New coach (inevitable - sad though) keep the squad of local players as it stands and keep them training during the WNPL season (tried it last season. AUFC says no. WNPL clubs will say no. Player health will be compromised).

So where to? After 10 years it seems no one has the answer. May AUFC-W need to look interstate at the models employed there.

Maybe Huss wasn't so bad after all.

Coaching Men v Women? Women ask questions and can't be fooled and do not forgive or forget. That's all I will say.
Last edited by billy the kid on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

Sorry to divert somewhat, but is it true that a lady reds player played for the Crows in a trial on the weekend?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

MegaBonus wrote:gee.....I guess with you, its always the (male) coach's fault....spin another record....
MegaBonus, You are a funny person.
Firstly, I have no issues with male coaches. As I said in my previous comments, "When is Adelaide United Football Club going to get their heads out of the rear and begin searching for the right coach (Female or Male) who have had several years experience in coaching women". There are great male coaches currently in the WNPL that can do the job but there are also women as well.

Yes you are right scipio africanus. Jenny did play for the Adelaide crows. This is absolutely absurd. Professional players should only dedicate themselves to one sport. This player is getting paid to play for the lady reds only. The blame can only be left with Ivan who offered her the contract knowingly that she wanted to play AFLW. Another reason why Ivan should resign.

Feel sorry for those players who are committed to WNPL and the W League only.
Maybe AUWFC will offer a contracts to players who want to play basketball, baseball, swimming, tennis etc.

LOVE OF FOOTBALL
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by LOVE OF FOOTBALL »

Yes, I also heard of players unhappy with the coach and the state of football in south australia.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

"When is Adelaide United Football Club going to get their heads out of the rear and begin searching for the right coach (Female or Male) who have had several years experience in coaching women".
how does coaching women differ to coaching men???
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

MegaBonus wrote:
"When is Adelaide United Football Club going to get their heads out of the rear and begin searching for the right coach (Female or Male) who have had several years experience in coaching women".
I am not going to even comment on that. Just a stupid question to ask.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

scipio africanus wrote:Sorry to divert somewhat, but is it true that a lady reds player played for the Crows in a trial on the weekend?
Yes, and she didn't miss a W-League game, so what's the issue?

Ellyse Perry was a dual sportswoman in the W-League & WBBL - we aren't alone in allowing it.

These girls aren't professionals.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Slinky_Pete wrote:
scipio africanus wrote:Sorry to divert somewhat, but is it true that a lady reds player played for the Crows in a trial on the weekend?

Ellyse Perry was a dual sportswoman in the W-League & WBBL - we aren't alone in allowing it.

Did I say it was an issue? Just asking for confirmation.

But since you raised it .... Would it be an issue if our players got injured playing AFL trials in the middle of the W League season and missed the finals as a result (not that we are in that position, but purely hypothetical).

Or even if players were missing training sessions to accomodate AFL pre-season??

Players are now paid. What is your definition of 'professionals'?

Obviously if the current coaching staff have no issue with it, all good I guess.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

sportsbird

Post subject: Re: Lady Reds in Dissaray

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Apprentice
Apprentice

MegaBonus wrote:

Quote:

no...please answer why its imperative to have a coach with several years experience coaching women to coach women...

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

scipio africanus wrote:
Slinky_Pete wrote:

Did I say it was an issue? Just asking for confirmation.

But since you raised it .... Would it be an issue if our players got injured playing AFL trials in the middle of the W League season and missed the finals as a result (not that we are in that position, but purely hypothetical).

Or even if players were missing training sessions to accomodate AFL pre-season??

Players are now paid. What is your definition of 'professionals'?

Obviously if the current coaching staff have no issue with it, all good I guess.
Sportsbird had an issue with it; the reply wasn't only for your benefit.

A professional makes a living out of the sport. Not a part time wage. Semi-Professional is probably a closer description.

Middle? There's 2 games left. What if she got injured walking across the road? Should players not have a life?

She signed with her AFLW committments already clear and agreed. If the club didn't want her playing, don't sign her.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

If the club signed any player and gave permission to any respective player to play two codes at the same time, then so be it. Responsibility for any fall out rests with the club.

From my perspective though, a player playing two codes (physical ones at that) at a national level is not compatible. I can't see how any player (as talented as they undoubtedly are) can be at optimum levels of performance for either code, when they are training and playing two codes in the same week.

The W League is already a very short league. Any injuries, even relatively minor ones, can result in missing significant parts of the season. If you are a finals contender and a starting player is injured playing AFL, as a coach I would find that unacceptable.

But as per my original line, if the club accepts it, then good luck to the player.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

MegaBonus wrote: no...please answer why its imperative to have a coach with several years experience coaching women to coach women...
Firstly, no need to be condescending.

It's not imperative, but it is important.

A quite good interview on BBC radio highlighted one of the (many) reasons Phil Neville is the wrong fit for the England Women National Team. There is such thing as emotional intelligence, something that isn't as critical in the Men's game given it isn't such a large factor, whereas with the Women's game it is.

If you'd even bothered to scratch below the surface of any research or opinion pieces relating to all women's sports worldwide, you'd be up to speed on this quite quickly.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

HI contributors.

Quite a few interesting takes and opinions on the matter. I thing one thing is certain amongst us all is that we care enough about the state and predicament of the AUFC W team to take the time to think through the problem (based on what we have read, heard or seen) with the aim of identifying the reason and fixing it. No one is potting anyone in particular and the coach, like it or not, is always in the gun as was Huss last year and others before him.

I’ve looked it hard a long and considered things like the type and character of an ideal coach and things like male vs female, local vs interstate, emotional intelligence etc, and I am scratching my head.

At some stage we need to establish that it’s the core group of players (local) that need an overhaul because that is something we can control here and now. The interstate and visa stars should ONLY supplement an otherwise strong group of players.

The coaches will need to clear the decks of ALL local players and star anew. Need to identify those with the attitude and aptitude as well as the unmistakable skill that should exist nd thereafter select a group.

State teams have always been made up this way and results have been consistent. This may not translate into the W league framework however, worth considering.
Good discussion an lets be civil

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Lucas Leiva

MegaBonus wrote:

no...please answer why its imperative to have a coach with several years experience coaching women to coach women...

Firstly, no need to be condescending.

It's not imperative, but it is important.

A quite good interview on BBC radio highlighted one of the (many) reasons Phil Neville is the wrong fit for the England Women National Team. There is such thing as emotional intelligence, something that isn't as critical in the Men's game given it isn't such a large factor, whereas with the Women's game it is.

If you'd even bothered to scratch below the surface of any research or opinion pieces relating to all women's sports worldwide, you'd be up to speed on this quite quickly.

1 - are you suggesting that women be treated/coached differently because theyre women???
2 - you shouldn't make such rash assumptions about my perceived lack of readings/research on such matters...

FoundIt
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FoundIt »

sportsbird wrote: Yes you are right scipio africanus. Jenny did play for the Adelaide crows. This is absolutely absurd. Professional players should only dedicate themselves to one sport. This player is getting paid to play for the lady reds only. The blame can only be left with Ivan who offered her the contract knowingly that she wanted to play AFLW. Another reason why Ivan should resign
you really have no idea.
they are not professionals, it is a part time gig for women's football in australia. wake up.
they can concentrate on more than one sport.
Erin Philips managed it fine across countries, and her basketball team in the USA saw no issue with her playing AFLW. but you do?
several players across several w-league teams played AFLW also. should all the coaches resign? so dumb. so so dumb.
I am happy for the womens players to go where the money is, it is about time they got some $ for all the effort they put in.

you restrict players to AUFC only, they will not play for AUFC. you really are so far behind the times it is hard to fathom.
Im closer than you think

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Erin Phillips lost her playing gig...got a consolation prize and move to be assistant coach (otherwise she may have received a $$$ payout for terminating contract). The AFL-W and USA Basketball tag team situation won't last much longer.

I think what we are seeing is that each of the codes is unable to financially remunerate players to arrive at a decent income. It's like have 3 part time jobs to bring in a income that will support you.

All sides of the argument have merit.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

billy the kid wrote:Erin Phillips lost her playing gig...got a consolation prize and move to be assistant coach (otherwise she may have received a $$$ payout for terminating contract). The AFL-W and USA Basketball tag team situation won't last much longer.

I think what we are seeing is that each of the codes is unable to financially remunerate players to arrive at a decent income. It's like have 3 part time jobs to bring in a income that will support you.

All sides of the argument have merit.
Erin is also 32. Don't know the numbers, but there wouldn't been too many elite women basketballers playing after that age.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

If there are so many issues with the Lady Reds maybe Adelaide United should hand the license back so someone else can run it.
It's all in the Delivery!

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Not sure that's the answer when you're dealing with a sport that's straddling part time when you'd say it needs a full time commitment. How do you mange something in that context AND for which is only for a 13 week season.

AUFC senior men and youth are easy to deal with AUFC have exclusivity whilst in the period outside of their contractual obligations they have NO rights over them. How do you fix something like that? I have no idea other than put my hands up and run.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

MegaBonus wrote:
From Moya Dodd in relation to the article in the Guardian covering the Phil Neville appointment:

There are more questions than answers about the appointment of Phil Neville over 146 other candidates, as it emerges that top level women did apply for the England WNT job.

Very limited experience as a manager in men's football, and ZERO experience in women's make this a strange appointment.

I believe that the women's game IS different:

- different physical dimensions mean that it evolves differently in a tactical sense

- players are women ... so coaches need to be capable of dealing with issues that don't appear in the men's game eg preventing ACLs and concussion (much more prevalent), menstruation, pregnancy, eating disorders ...

- off the field, everything is different ... eg wealth, academies, agents, scouts, part time jobs, expectations, discrimination, harassment - these are all differently dimensioned for women than men.

The women's game needs coaches who are dedicated to the women's game. A national team post should not be treated as a stepping stone to gain experience for a better paying job in men's football. We need a talent bank, not a brain drain!

Who knows whether Neville will be good for the women's game... perhaps he will bring skills and learn fast on the job. The real question is why qualified and experienced women coaches are so often overlooked for the top jobs ... when clearly they can outperform men at the highest levels of women's football. (Just check who has coached the WWC winners, Olympic gold medallists and Euros winners since the Sydney Olympics...).

#NevilleGate

And here’s the article- probably should have its own thread: https://amp.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ssion=true

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

sportsbird wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:

Seemed like a bloody good question to me. Why not help the education on the women's game instead of being rude?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

juniorsupporter wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:
From Moya Dodd in relation to the article in the Guardian covering the Phil Neville appointment:

There are more questions than answers about the appointment of Phil Neville over 146 other candidates, as it emerges that top level women did apply for the England WNT job.

Very limited experience as a manager in men's football, and ZERO experience in women's make this a strange appointment.

I believe that the women's game IS different:

- different physical dimensions mean that it evolves differently in a tactical sense

- players are women ... so coaches need to be capable of dealing with issues that don't appear in the men's game eg preventing ACLs and concussion (much more prevalent), menstruation, pregnancy, eating disorders ...

- off the field, everything is different ... eg wealth, academies, agents, scouts, part time jobs, expectations, discrimination, harassment - these are all differently dimensioned for women than men.

The women's game needs coaches who are dedicated to the women's game. A national team post should not be treated as a stepping stone to gain experience for a better paying job in men's football. We need a talent bank, not a brain drain!

Who knows whether Neville will be good for the women's game... perhaps he will bring skills and learn fast on the job. The real question is why qualified and experienced women coaches are so often overlooked for the top jobs ... when clearly they can outperform men at the highest levels of women's football. (Just check who has coached the WWC winners, Olympic gold medallists and Euros winners since the Sydney Olympics...).

#NevilleGate

And here’s the article- probably should have its own thread: https://amp.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ssion=true
You can't say there's a brain drain and the best go to the men's game and then say the best coaches are women. Sounds quite misandric to me.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

well raised juniorsupporter.
great article.
exactly what I was trying to say in my previous comments.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

WoW....... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

posts deleted because it doesn't fit Sportbirds narrative.....

can the moderator please communicate on what grounds the posts after the one above were deleted????????????

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gee_kay »

sportsbird wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:
I am going to throw my 2 cents in here. As someone who has coached both the only differences i found were that with the women you have to really specifically show them the things you want them to do, they are quicker learners and will execute it to how they are asked.

The other main thing is obviously how you speak to them and how you deliver your messages to them. I still believe that any young coach who is trying to find themselves as a coach should give womens football a go.

Other than that they really don't expect to not be treated any differently from the boys. They take their football seriously and expect you to do the same
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:WoW....... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

posts deleted because it doesn't fit Sportbirds narrative.....

can the moderator please communicate on what grounds the posts after the one above were deleted????????????
Normally they'd "moderate/edit/delete" the type of "narrative" she has written. Odd
Ignore this signature

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

I have received information from a reliable source that following the post season review, Ivan will only be offering contracts to the following SA players in 2018/2019 season.
McCormack (has a two year contract)
Chidiak
Condon
Checker (has a two year contract)
The remianing players will be cut and be politely advised to search an alternative club.
It was also pointed out that the current NTC players have not reached expectations.
Ivan's objective is to clean out and restart.
On the down side, only one current international player is willing to return while the others have decided not to return to the club due to the current state of AUWFC culture.
Jones an interstate player will also not be offered a contract.
This may be a good outcome or a bad one. Not sure at this stage.