WSW Vs AUWFC

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

WSW Vs AUWFC

Post by sportsbird »

It was a poor performance overall.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: WSW Vs AUWFC

Post by billy the kid »

I think to discount the game as a success based on missed opportunities and “lost” chances that went begging would paper over what has been a very poor year.

Friday night’s game was one that lacked urgency, cohesion and unity. Signs that all is not well in the camp. Fatiguing players that have rolled on form season to the next to the next to the next to the next.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

billy the kid wrote:I think to discount the game as a success based on missed opportunities and “lost” chances that went begging would paper over what has been a very poor year.

Friday night’s game was one that lacked urgency, cohesion and unity. Signs that all is not well in the camp. Fatiguing players that have rolled on form season to the next to the next to the next to the next.
Your right Billy, there was no spark or intensity from any player. I find on this occasion the players are not fully to blame but rather the coaching staff. The structure and formation was poor and confusing.
Certain players playing in positions that were not suited for them.
Again, the experienced players have been a big let down including the overseas and interstate players. They have not ignited the team.
It's time Ivan made drastic changes to the team or will be certainly be remaining at the bottom of the ladder.
Questions that need to be answered?
1. Again forwards have been poor. Why is A Jones still in the team when her form does not warrant it.
2. Why is Tucker not given an opportunity for more game time when the current forwards are not performing.
3. Why is Chelsea playing as a forward when she is only a midfielder.
4. Midfield has been below par. Why not change the midfield structure. Georgia from defence into the midfield and Alex as a defensive midfielder to get into the game a lot more.
5. Formation: Why cant the formation be settled to a 4-3-3 and keep it for the rest of the season to allow the players more stability and confidence.
6. Defence has been poor. Why not bring Laura Johns as a right back and maybe use A Jones to left back to get her confidence back. They are quick runners and can cut down the quick forwards of controlling the game.
Made inquiries into the additional players who were not given contracts but are training with the team and can be used if required as they did last season with Georgia Ianella.
Kelsie Zafiridis - Can run all day and never gives up. She has that never give up attitude. Great for a midfield role and was an exceptional player for Campbletown.
Nicole Caulder - Experienced and a versatile player. Played overseas and could be a player to display her skills in the W league.
Chrissy Panagaris - A young elusive striker from Metro United with a great future. Was runner up in the WNPL.
Georgia Iannella - Played last year for the lady reds and has overcome her injury. Another young great player for the future..
Ivan needs to make some changes if he wishes to be more competitive in the future.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Maybe Paul Merson would like to comment :?:

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Mr Red wrote:Maybe Paul Merson would like to comment :?:
Very happy with Sarah’s game on Friday.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Sarah is an absolute quality player. She has really stepped up whenever she's been called upon, last year and this year. So happy to see her doing so well.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Yes juniorsupporter so true
Sarah was outstanding.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

sportsbird wrote:Sarah was outstanding.
Sarah has been very good thus far but the WSW goalkeeper was the only outstanding player I saw the other night (faultless display).

I know it's going to come across harsh but Sarah unfortunately played a part in the 2nd goal we conceded which ended as the decider.

Btw no need for me to comment on the rest of the team and on what's going wrong bec. well documented by others on this forum.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

No arguments here. Quality player and a quality person.
juniorsupporter wrote:Sarah is an absolute quality player. She has really stepped up whenever she's been called upon, last year and this year. So happy to see her doing so well.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

paul merson wrote:
Much applause to her GK coach :wink:

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Mr Red wrote:
paul merson wrote:
Much applause to her GK coach :wink:
:lol:

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

billy the kid wrote: Signs that all is not well in the camp. Fatiguing players that have rolled on form season to the next to the next to the next to the next.
Your right billy
Apparently there are ongoing issues in the lady red camp. Players are unhappy with the coaching dept. Already a player has had an altercation with the head coach at a training session.
There not happy with the game plan , structure and player positions.
It sounds like players are not playing for their head coach.
Again, I would like to re-iterate that male coaches coming from male teams are finding it difficult to understand and communicate with women athletes.
Future Lady red coaches should be required to have experienced coaching in the womens league for a minimum of 2 years before being appointed.
Enough is enough appointing coaches from male teams.
There are plenty good coaches in the WNPL.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Hi Sportsbird. Thanks for supporting my views.

Our comments (I think) aren't in criticism of the players or a want for them to fail. Quite the opposite. 10 seasons of stumbling (apart from a breakout 2016/17 season) is enough. Mounting a case to continue to financially support such results is getting harder.

I think there has been enough discussion herein about what we think should happen in order for the AUFC_W to mount a decent challenge to the title. Whether it happens will depend upon GG (and wife), FFSA and WNPL clubs.

Seeing the confusion and discontent out there is not good. It is noticed by the media outlets covering the game.

Discussion about a coach from a male coaching background vs one from the women's game is a good one. I think from mine, both arguments have merit.

Depending on the reasons for the discontent with the coaching staff, I think Ivan needs to commence a total review of the structure. Present it asap to the AUFC board (GG and wife). If it doesn't get accepted at all then I say scrap the AUFC-W team because nothing will change. Change coach. Change players. What won't change are the results.

I have looked at the Dodd arrival to the team with some interest. Great bloke. But why now part way during the season?

Players, as we have discussed, are fatigued and look like headless chickens. You CANNOT roll from one season to another to another to another with NO proper pre-season or break. It's ludicrous.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I think that player management is a skill that often gets overlooked by coaches and fans of the game. Unlike tactical skill, which is clear to see on the park, good player management has a much subtler effect on the success or failure of a program. In part I think we're seeing that play out ATM, in two ways. One is the lack of a break or proper preseason. The other is bringing a diverse group of young (and the team is super young) women together and getting them to gel. This is where experience coaching in the women's game comes in handy.