AU v Brisbane

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

AU v Brisbane

Post by billy the kid »

Had our chances against a Brisbane team that I thought would obliterate AUFC. With the Matilda's players returning to the Roar I thought it would be a ugly scoreline.

Was it AUFC's game or were the returning players fatigued and a tad out of sorts? The second half was definitely the Roar's and I would say a draw would have been very disappointing to them.

For mine the USA players are demanding the majority of the play and our local WNPL girls aren't being utilised as much as they should.

My advice to the local WNPL girls is to demand the ball, don’t be star struck by the imports and play your game. You are all good enough to be in the team and are exceptional in your abilities. I rate you all.

The imports will try and take the bulk of the play however, they need to acknowledge your abilities and play you into the game. AJ , albeit an interstate player, has worked very hard to feed the ball to the USA girl which almost resulted in goals. I want to see some of that delivery come to our local girls from the USA girls. When that happens AUFC will rise into the top 3.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: AU v Brisbane

Post by Coyote »

Billy the Kid. I agree with all your comments. Great observations. The first half in particular I felt sometimes a couple of the "local" players may of been overlooked as an option to pass to. I do not think it was deliberate but hopefully like last season, the team will gel. They will need to start this weekend though and a win is a must if they are a chance to qualify for finals. I think as there are only 18 contracted players this season that perhaps in hindsight it may of been better to reduce the number of overseas players to say 2 or 3 to give more opportunities for Australian players to develop. Thoughts? The negative though of this is it potentially would have reduced the standard of the W-League.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: AU v Brisbane

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks Coyote for your comments and suggestions.

A double edged for sure. I think the visa/other interstate players add something to the team and to the W-League however, as we have seen in the A-League, it does not always mean success. I think as a football follower, we want to see local/Australian talent. I don’t mean get rid of the o/s players however, from my perspective a lot rides on their (visa players) shoulders and because they are paid far in excess of what the majority of local players are paid, they feel an obligation to play up the standards expected.
What ensues is that we don’t get a solid team effort and one that is based on a small handful of players trying to “be the team”.

I love watching our local talent and how they are more that capable of playing to the standard. They never look out of place. The WNPL is at a very high standard. They should not feel somewhat inferior and should be played into the game.