WNPL Play Off result

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

prospector88
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

WNPL Play Off result

Post by prospector88 »

Game one
Comets 0 - Cumby 1

Game two
Cumby 2 - Comets 0

Congrats to all at Cumby.

Worthless Gobemouche
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: WNPL Play Off result

Post by Worthless Gobemouche »

And if they are true to form, they'll sack this seasons coaches and some of their brighter 'stars' will seek fame and fortune at other clubs after being enticed away.

Repeat dose, avoid relegation...Cumberland keep making the same mistakes year after year. Parent committee instead of a football focused one with a small player group calling the shots behind the scenes.

A lazy $10 on Cumberland being in the same situation next year or even worse.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Gee "Worthless Gobemouche". Could you make it any more obvious that you used to be involved with Cumberland, most likely as a coach?

I love reading this forum as all contributors obviously are interested in the women's game in this state. I am not keen though on all the negative comments that are directed at players, coaches and now this comment, having a go at a committee. I am not involved with this club but to make reference to a "parent committee" in a negative way is a bit harsh to those involved in my opinion. Seriously, name me a club in SA who do not have a committee made up mostly of parents? I do not know any of those committee members but I am sure they are doing the best. I kind of understand what you are trying to say but how does a club attract those type of people you suggest? You offer no alternatives but just "bag" a bunch of volunteers who would spend hours helping to run a club. I have been on a committee for another sport and have some understanding of how hard being on a committee is. I doubt very much you have ever been on a committee as if you had been you would not make such a derogative comment. Each to their own though.

Apparently, The Prems and reserves coaches were changed at that club at the end of the last season and the results of those teams probably justified it. Yes they had similar results again this season, but from the few occasions I saw their Prems team play this season, I saw a marked improvement compared to the previous season. You refer to the "brighter stars" leaving. Who do you refer to? One "starting" player left that club at the end of last season to play for another club but I am not sure she would meet the definition of a "star" yet.

I agree with your sentiment that Cumberland is not "setting the world on fire" at a senior level and has not done so for a few seasons. Any sporting club though that have strong numbers in their juniors always have the chance to eventually have success at senior level. That is something that club has got and I suspect that the "parent committee" that you speak of have had a great deal with promoting this area of the club.

Princess Fiona
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Princess Fiona »

Coyote wrote:Gee "Worthless Gobemouche". Could you make it any more obvious that you used to be involved with Cumberland, most likely as a coach?

I love reading this forum as all contributors obviously are interested in the women's game in this state. I am not keen though on all the negative comments that are directed at players, coaches and now this comment, having a go at a committee. I am not involved with this club but to make reference to a "parent committee" in a negative way is a bit harsh to those involved in my opinion. Seriously, name me a club in SA who do not have a committee made up mostly of parents? I do not know any of those committee members but I am sure they are doing the best. I kind of understand what you are trying to say but how does a club attract those type of people you suggest? You offer no alternatives but just "bag" a bunch of volunteers who would spend hours helping to run a club. I have been on a committee for another sport and have some understanding of how hard being on a committee is. I doubt very much you have ever been on a committee as if you had been you would not make such a derogative comment. Each to their own though.

Apparently, The Prems and reserves coaches were changed at that club at the end of the last season and the results of those teams probably justified it. Yes they had similar results again this season, but from the few occasions I saw their Prems team play this season, I saw a marked improvement compared to the previous season. You refer to the "brighter stars" leaving. Who do you refer to? One "starting" player left that club at the end of last season to play for another club but I am not sure she would meet the definition of a "star" yet.

I agree with your sentiment that Cumberland is not "setting the world on fire" at a senior level and has not done so for a few seasons. Any sporting club though that have strong numbers in their juniors always have the chance to eventually have success at senior level. That is something that club has got and I suspect that the "parent committee" that you speak of have had a great deal with promoting this area of the club.
Coyote, i read Worthless Gobemouche quite differently.
WG does offer an an alternative - a committee focused on football.
From my understanding as well WG is quite facturally correct there is a small player group calling the shots. Maybe thats a good thing, don't know.
Have they improved from last year? Just looked up the record last season finished the same position but with an extra win this yr - last season they beat Uni, West and PHK plus 3 draws. This year Campbelltown x 3 wins and Uni once plus 2 draws.
Not sure thats an improvement, Campbelltown weren't up to WNPL, IMO, no criticism of players and coaches at Campbelltown just results say they weren't

Worthless Gobemouche
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Worthless Gobemouche »

prospector88 wrote:Game one
Comets 0 - Cumby 1

Game two
Cumby 2 - Comets 0

Congrats to all at Cumby.
Thats the sort of 'parent committee' response i've come to expect from Cumberland. Avoiding relegation in the play off is nothing to congratulate yourselves about. When you aim to be in play offs at the end of the season, those are the games you want to avoid. Beating Campbelltown ( even with Chidiac ) at the end of last season wasnt really a difficult task. I remember watching those games and the players and committee, although no doubt relieved at avoiding the State League reacted as if they'd won something. Far from it. The fact that Campbelltown were given the entry in the WNPL for this season, when they were outplayed by Cumberland in the two games, should have been a warning to Cumberland. Did they learn from it ?

Comets this year posed a far more dangerous prospect and although the record books will show a 3-0 aggregate win, Cumberland will have to make a change. Several years ago the previous president had the right idea. An admitted silly mistake on his part put in place a chain of event that have led to the parent committee we see now.

Coyote...your assumption regarding me are not quite correct. Have I served on a committee ? Damn right I have. Ive coached , Ive played the game and been involved in both the male and female games. What Ive witnessed happening at Cumberland, Ive seen before at other mens and womens clubs...when the players dictate the terms, you begin a ride on a slippery slope from which its difficult to recover.

Princess Fiona is correct in backing my facts. There is a small group that forced the hand of the previous Prems coach...dictating who played, it what position and he did everything to keep several players so happy at the risk of upsetting them. The fact that he endured the season, he should be rewarded for his efforts and some understanding of the difficult task he was faced with, but although he was willing to step aside, his proposal was rejected only to be accepted at the end of the season when relegation was avoided. Nice. Why ? Because the players wanted him gone and their man appointed. They got their wish.

Have they improved ? From the games I watched this year, i'd say they'd successfully trod water. From my conversations with current Cumberland players and club people this year, Cumberland is like a nursery school. Continue to wax lyrical about the players at the NTC who havent kicked a ball in a green shirt for 5 seasons. Keep telling yourself they'll be back next season. Having a large club with an excellent junior base from which to develop is something to be proud of and rightly so. I dont think anyone does a junior set up better than Cumberland. But if the mum and dad committee dont start focusing on the senior setup the same repeat mistakes will be made. Yes, mums and dads are the backbone of grass root level clubs, but if they continue to listen to the noisy minority ( insert players ) and slowly rid themselves of the few football brains that they have at their disposal, then 2018 will be exactly like 2016/2017.

From my understanding, the FFSA side wont be playing in the WNPL next year. Comets will only improve in my opinion. If they do, then Cumberland only have a short time to get their house in order before their eventual slide into the State League will be realised.

I would love to see Cumberland become the competetive and consistant club at senior level theyve always threatened. I only hope wise heads prevail during the off season and they get the right people onboard to get them were they deserve to be.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

Princess Fiona wrote:
Coyote wrote:Gee "Worthless Gobemouche". Could you make it any more obvious that you used to be involved with Cumberland, most likely as a coach?

Coyote, i read Worthless Gobemouche quite differently.
WG does offer an an alternative - a committee focused on football.
From my understanding as well WG is quite facturally correct there is a small player group calling the shots. Maybe thats a good thing, don't know.
Have they improved from last year? Just looked up the record last season finished the same position but with an extra win this yr - last season they beat Uni, West and PHK plus 3 draws. This year Campbelltown x 3 wins and Uni once plus 2 draws.
Not sure thats an improvement, Campbelltown weren't up to WNPL, IMO, no criticism of players and coaches at Campbelltown just results say they weren't
Given the quality of opponents beaten in 2016, would have to agree that 2017 has not been an improvement from Cumberland's perspective, even given slightly more points scored this year.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

I heard Cumberland had 3 WNPL players leave to play in USA , and their top goal scorer away on holidays week before the playoffs started.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

So did I. So I guess....Cumby will be further weakened in season 2018.

Hope not

Dandylion
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Dandylion »

Top goal scorer? What did she score 5? :lol: state league is exactly what Cumberland need. Get rid of your useless senior players who think they are gods gift. They are your first big problem

prospector88
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by prospector88 »

Hannah Custance scored 17.