Finals Week 2

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Finals Week 2

Post by billy the kid »

Looking forward to this Do or Die clash Metro v City

prospector88
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: Finals Week 2

Post by prospector88 »

http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info. ... =1&round=2

Metro 1 - Adelaide City 2
Metro
D. Cockayne (4th)

Adelaide City
A. Chidiac x 2 (80th and 90th)

Grand Final - next week
West Adelaide v Adelaide City

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Post by United We Stand »

Lucas Leiva, can we get one of your Match Reports on City's win over Metro? I always expected this to be the Grand Final match up.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Was only last night but let me try and remember...

An amazing come from behind effort from Adelaide City last night when Metro had all but shut up shop and had one foot in next week's final.

There was a personnel change for Metro this week with Roxy Dodd starting in a front two, and Kristy Moore staying at right back like recent games. While Cockayne's goal was both early and a surprise - one of those freakish crosses that carry long into the far post that left Zaf with little chance - it was absolute control from Metro from this point. The front three of City - Chidiac, Powell and Sasaki - were barely afforded a sniff before half time.

The second half brought more of the same and as the clock ticked down it really felt as if there was nothing City could do to affect the score. Once Metro brought Gregor - a centre back - on into midfield, it felt as if the clock was going to run down.

It was at this point the Alex Chidiac show began. She'd been given no space on her left foot all night, and then in front of a flooded Metro box she managed to make a cutting run across the front of the box onto her left foot and curled a sensational strike onto the far post and in. From here, it truly was game on as both sides entered each other's areas quite dangerously.

Alas there could only be one winner and with the earlier defensive substitution you felt that Metro were going to stretch it into extra time, but of course the final sucker punch couldn't wait longer than the 89th minute. Sasaki broke down the left and threaded a ball in behind the Metro last man for Chids to run onto. Baltrop did all she could coming out but Chids just got a foot on it and poked home.

When the full time whistle went you could feel for Metro, having both their Prems and Reserves bundled out simultaneously. Ultimately it was another quality finals match that finished with a one goal scoreline like the two last week.

Looking ahead to next week...if I were West Adelaide and watching last night I would've taken some notes on Metro's defensive approach. For as good as Westies have been defensively all year, they've found it hard to contain City in their last two fixtures. I think the fact that Westies will have only played two games in the last 28 days will help them quite a lot, compared to City who will be facing their fourth in this period (which includes the Cup Final and last night).

Regardless, the spectacle of a West Adelaide v Adelaide City final at Hindmarsh in front of a few thousand fans (with the SL2, SL1 and NPL finals all on) is mouthwatering!

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Thanks again Lucas Leiva. Well written account of the game. It just sounds like the top four were very evenly matched and that there was a fine line between success and failure. I am hoping that there is a live stream of the Grand Final. Good luck to all the teams contesting Grand Finals.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Agreed United We Stand. Women's football is on the up in this state and we should be trying to promote it as best we can. Some classic games recently but some still want to complain about the 'lack of quality'. Some people always have the glass half empty mentality and fail to see the positives. We have some real talent here in SA and hopefully there are suitable coaches that stay around long enough to take the players/teams to the next level. FFSA should be applauded for their vision here in respect of the improved venue facilities.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

United We Stand wrote:Thanks again Lucas Leiva. Well written account of the game. It just sounds like the top four were very evenly matched and that there was a fine line between success and failure. I am hoping that there is a live stream of the Grand Final. Good luck to all the teams contesting Grand Finals.
No probs - and yes there will be a live Facebook stream from 4:30 SA time :)

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Lucas Leiva wrote:
United We Stand wrote:Thanks again Lucas Leiva. Well written account of the game. It just sounds like the top four were very evenly matched and that there was a fine line between success and failure. I am hoping that there is a live stream of the Grand Final. Good luck to all the teams contesting Grand Finals.
No probs - and yes there will be a live Facebook stream from 4:30 SA time :)
Thanks. Good to know. 8.00 am here in London.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

My support is behind Westies for this One.