WNPL

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

WNPL

Post by Rightside »

Just one round to go, who will finish league leaders?

City - they beat Metro or draw with Metro (goal difference will get them through)

West Adelaide - Metro beat City, West Adelaide beat Cumby

Metro - they beat City, Cumby beat or draw with West Adelaide

anything is possible!

Any predictions?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: WNPL

Post by billy the kid »

A brilliant year with no certainties. The WNPL has come a long way in 2016 and 2017 and let's hope 2018 continues onwards.

My wish list for 2018 is as follows:

1) The shores to get its second pitch
2) WNPL reserves and prems teams play on the same night. This is a MUST HAVE. NO IFFS ort Buts
3) If no second pitch occurs at shores then teams to rotate games equally between shores and the parks so that reserves and prems double headers can occur.
4) The promotion and relegation occurs however, to avoid another Campbelltown....2 years in WNPL is a must. 1 years is not enough time to establish.

Rascal21
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Rascal21 »

billy the kid wrote:A brilliant year with no certainties. The WNPL has come a long way in 2016 and 2017 and let's hope 2018 continues onwards.

My wish list for 2018 is as follows:

1) The shores to get its second pitch
2) WNPL reserves and prems teams play on the same night. This is a MUST HAVE. NO IFFS ort Buts
3) If no second pitch occurs at shores then teams to rotate games equally between shores and the parks so that reserves and prems double headers can occur.
4) The promotion and relegation occurs however, to avoid another Campbelltown....2 years in WNPL is a must. 1 years is not enough time to establish.
I agree with everything you have said however I would put a fifth point:

5) Sort State League out to become a competitive competition which feeds into the WNPL, via promotion and relegation, not an application process.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

The reason why some teams play at certain venues more than others is because four teams are allocated The Parks as their home pitch and four teams are allocated The Shores as theirs.

That allocation depends on the geographical placing of teams. For example, Para Hills and Adelaide University were allocated The Parks last year, but Salisbury Inter and Campbelltown took that allocation this year.

But if a fourth pitch was identified (such as a second at The Shores, although I wonder where because that back pitch is not part of the lease) then that would makes things more amenable.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks for the replies. Good to focus on the positives with the view of where it can be improved (ort leverage off success).

The State League definitely needs an improvement. Even the gap between reserves and prems is still significant however, if promotion and relegation is the way forward then there needs to be a rethink.

I was giving the allocation of games to Parks or Shores and considered your comments re: where is the most logical place to allocate teams to venues. Given what the WNPL had previously experienced in the years before the Parks and Shores, the travel factor isn’t an issue. My views only.

I believe that to further engage the reserves and prems teams then they need to played on the same night at the same venue. I suspect some team that voted not to play their reserves games on the same night as the prems was purely down to one thing only….not enough players (of quality) to furnish two teams. You would find that some of those teams that voted NO have prems players (some) playing in reserves on Sunday. This would not be possible if they play on the same night.
Most clubs reserves train Wed and Friday (pre – parks and shores days) whilst prems training Mon and Wed.

My thoughts however, discussion is good.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Interesting thoughts and most comments I agree with. However, having a relegation system but giving 2 years min? Not sure how that would work.

Improve the State League is a great idea but how? 4 teams were competitive this season and 2 were not. I would not think that you could have a 4 team comp in the state league so perhaps a 6 team Prem comp with a 6 team (Croydon and Stirling could go to Div 1 from State League) State League perhaps? Both comps would then be stronger. I have not put much thought into this so it probably is a silly idea...

The Campbelltown results this season could have been completely different if MJ continued playing and Alex Chidiac remained with them.

I expect the Prems to again be stronger in 2018 no matter what happens.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

By the way where is MJ these days?
Coyote wrote:Interesting thoughts and most comments I agree with. However, having a relegation system but giving 2 years min? Not sure how that would work.

Improve the State League is a great idea but how? 4 teams were competitive this season and 2 were not. I would not think that you could have a 4 team comp in the state league so perhaps a 6 team Prem comp with a 6 team (Croydon and Stirling could go to Div 1 from State League) State League perhaps? Both comps would then be stronger. I have not put much thought into this so it probably is a silly idea...

The Campbelltown results this season could have been completely different if MJ continued playing and Alex Chidiac remained with them.

I expect the Prems to again be stronger in 2018 no matter what happens.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Just come back from a big trip to the US I believe.

So no predictions on how Friday night will finish up?

Rascal21
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Rascal21 »

Rightside wrote:Just come back from a big trip to the US I believe.

West Adelaide to finish top.
Metro will beat City and West will beat Cumby.

Going back to next year, i think the FFSA should leave the WNPL as is for one more year. It will allow Campletown some time to build so they don't yo-yo between Divs.

State League......NTC need a second squad (res). I don't think it's a bad thing for the competition or the sport to identify 2 squads of girls. If they finish top then they should be allowed to go up into WNPL. Im aware they have reasons behind this, however, having a team which is unable to move hinders the competition as a whole. I think two of the State league teams need to be dropped, one to Div 1 and the other lower and then the two top teams of Div 1 need to go up into State League. Unfortunately, the FFSA has a 3-year commitment to State League so we will have the same teams (unless a new team nominates) and the same issues next year.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Couldn't have said it better myself

Rascal21 wrote:

Going back to next year, i think the FFSA should leave the WNPL as is for one more year. It will allow Campletown some time to build so they don't yo-yo between Divs.

State League......NTC need a second squad (res). I don't think it's a bad thing for the competition or the sport to identify 2 squads of girls. If they finish top then they should be allowed to go up into WNPL. Im aware they have reasons behind this, however, having a team which is unable to move hinders the competition as a whole. I think two of the State league teams need to be dropped, one to Div 1 and the other lower and then the two top teams of Div 1 need to go up into State League. Unfortunately, the FFSA has a 3-year commitment to State League so we will have the same teams (unless a new team nominates) and the same issues next year.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Rascal21

Love your name by the way…

I agree with your State league proposal to replace 2 teams. I also appreciate your reasons which are valid re Campbelltown but if they were to stay, how can NTC, who is likely to finish top of the State League, move up to Prems? Also, if Comets win the “relegation playoffs” against most likely Cumberland, should they not replace Cumberland in Prems as well?

I assume that NTC will move to Prems (in place of Campbelltown) but they will likely increase their squad numbers so they can field a reserves team in the WNPL. I know that their squad will change each year but the NTC surely is going to be a stronger opposition compared to say what Campbelltown have been this season. Hence, making a stronger comp.

What are the conditions of the 3 year commitment that FFSA has towards the state league? I hope that it does not include a commitment to keep Croydon in the State League. No offence to that team as they do try their best but I can not see them attracting new players to the club after this seasons results. Worst still, they could lose existing players as I suspect some players may not like getting thumped on a regular basis? As has been demonstrated in the Prems, ladies move to clubs that have success. I do not agree with this but that’s unfortunately the way it is. Maybe the best solution is to have a relegation system for the state league as well?

Apologies in advance as I may have misunderstood you…

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

Rascal21 wrote:

just a hypothetical, what if one of the 5 teams in the state league now couldn't field teams next year?

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

terryball wrote:
Rascal21 wrote:

just a hypothetical, what if one of the 5 teams in the state league now couldn't field teams next year?
Happened with Gawler, they'd be replaced.

Leppskiii
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Leppskiii »

At football
billy the kid wrote:By the way where is MJ these days?
"Just ask yourself, have you hugged your goalkeeper today?"

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Rascal21 wrote:

Aren't White City and Western Strikers launching women's teams?

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Lots of clubs starting womens teams next year but doesn't mean they can just walk into state league. Croydon were the exception this year but i think FFSA have learnt their lesson there (i hope)

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Also for consideration should be an Adelaide United development squad
It's all in the Delivery!

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

From what I hear, it could be a 10 team WNPL next season. No teams to drop out this season and 2 to come in.

This is a huge news story and will no doubt elevate the WNPL even higher.

Salisbury Cumby and Campbelltown deserve to stay in and build on season 2017.