Adelaide United Women rumour

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Adelaide United Women rumour

Post by Coyote »

I was told by a friend this morning that 2 local ladies who played last season will not be playing for the team this season. One will be leaving for another W League team and another will playing a different sport. I prefer not to name the ladies as I can not confirm this is true. However, they were both in the starting 11 last season so it would be a huge blow to the team’s chances of success if they were not to play.

sin²x + cos²x = 1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Adelaide United Women rumour

Post by sin²x + cos²x = 1 »

Wrestling?
I tend to go off on a tangent

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Coyote,
I did hear the rumour as well.
The players in question that have been rumoured to leave is Alex Chidiac, Emily Condon and Sarah Willacy.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Alex I can understand because she has had a few moves across the league over the last couple of years. Last season was very much an interrupted one for her with Matildas duties and sickness upon returning home. I know she has a good head on her and will do what's right for her career. Hopefully wherever she goes she will be remunerated accordingly.

Sarah is a quality keeper and will no doubt be in demand across Australia.

Is Emily off to AFL? If so, it's sad because the sport can ill afford to lose someone of her quality. I've been banging on about AFLW vs W League and how the latter is a far more polished and skilled game however, $$$ will be the attraction and I suspect stability at and within the club (and commitment to supporting the women as equals) is also a big factor.

If what you say is true then all the best girls.

Leppskiii
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Leppskiii »

:lol:
"Just ask yourself, have you hugged your goalkeeper today?"

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Exactly, Lepps.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

I heard "on the grapevine" today that some of the players from last year have commenced training again and some may have been offered & accepted contracts. Great idea to get the players ready for this season. I am not sure however, what this means for the chances of Prems players and others hoping to play for the team. If players have been offered contracts it must mean there will be very limited spots for new players.......

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

Well, it turns out the rumour that I heard about one of the players was unsubstantiated. Whoops. Sorry about that! However, I believe that we may soon hear some positive news about at least one of the “international” players that played for the team last season. Hopefully if one confirms, others will follow. If this proves to be accurate, I am feeling very optimistic about the team performing very well this season. Finals will be achievable in my opinion.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Interesting that Jones has made a triumphant return to AUFC W League squad. With the recent commitments of the US Duo of Colaprico and Norton and Jones, seems that Huerta will be a no show in the red strip.

Does this leave the door open to the prodigal daughter MJ to make a triumphant return? Forward strike power is lacking and the big frame of Rajcic could be just what Karlovic needs in his team for 2017/2018. A stabilising and unifying MJ to rally the troops.

All the best team. And coach/es

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

The only rumour I have heard is Sportsbird will be making a return to the WNPL and W-League in 2018

LOVE OF FOOTBALL
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by LOVE OF FOOTBALL »

billy the kid wrote:Interesting that Jones has made a triumphant return to AUFC W League squad. With the recent commitments of the US Duo of Colaprico and Norton and Jones, seems that Huerta will be a no show in the red strip.

Does this leave the door open to the prodigal daughter MJ to make a triumphant return? Forward strike power is lacking and the big frame of Rajcic could be just what Karlovic needs in his team for 2017/2018. A stabilising and unifying MJ to rally the troops.

All the best team. And coach/es
Billy the Kid, are you completely serious. It's not often that I get on this forum but I had to challenge your comment about MJ. Unsure where you got that one from?
MJ was sacked last season for trying to undermine the coach and have him sacked and to think that MJ could also rally the troop is preposterous .
MJ caused so many issues between players and officials that she had dug a hole so deep that she was unable to get out. I think it's best to leave this one in the past.

The Lady Reds in the first half were ordinary but to their credit, came back in the second half with several opportunities to either draw or win the game, but were unable to capitilize on the score board.
I believe the lady reds are short on a strong midfielder, a forward play maker and reshuffle the back four.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Wont get any easier this week against M City, away, and they have just signed an English International player.

If we can jag a draw here, then we have a couple of win able games coming up after this week.

Checker + Co will need to be 100% switched on, we need other players to step up and score some goals, cant rely on Doniak to do it all .

Good result against understrength Perth side, and one nil loss against Roar could have been worse our defense soaked up a lot of pressure that day, couldve been worse had it not been for the GK, and the linesman who gave Roar offside when they weren't, twice, when they going for goal.

Good luck

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

All round tough assignment. The season started off with promise and albeit they defeated Perth I don't think Perth were at their best.

Goal scoring opportunities are not as clinical as the opposition. Huerta was the defining factor last year and towards the end of the season, put on a clinic and showed class way beyond what was in most W League teams. She's not here this season and it shows. Monica was a revelation back there and gave them stability and composure last season. They don’t look as good.

It does take a few weeks to get the team firing on al cylinders and for the line-up to gel however, as AUFC W are improving so are the other teams. And the results will show that.

I think what we are seeing here is the continued lack of direction an commitment by the AUFC-W (and its predecessors) to give the squad what it needs to become truly competitive. What they have always needed was this:

1) Keep the bulk of the squad of local players rolling over into the new year (post W League)
2) Keep them training weekly as a complete unit
3) Train with the AUFC Youth Team
4) Then invite local players selected to participate in the pre-season training to see how they perform with the group
5) Then supplement the group with Visa and key interstate players to bring in key position players

I suspect that this was the plan the last 2 years however it started and then was quashed. Shame because AUFC W deserves better.

I'm backing our girls to win this week based on hard fought determination.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

billy the kid wrote:All round tough assignment. The season started off with promise and albeit they defeated Perth I don't think Perth were at their best.

Goal scoring opportunities are not as clinical as the opposition. Huerta was the defining factor last year and towards the end of the season, put on a clinic and showed class way beyond what was in most W League teams. She's not here this season and it shows. Monica was a revelation back there and gave them stability and composure last season. They don’t look as good.

It does take a few weeks to get the team firing on al cylinders and for the line-up to gel however, as AUFC W are improving so are the other teams. And the results will show that.

I think what we are seeing here is the continued lack of direction an commitment by the AUFC-W (and its predecessors) to give the squad what it needs to become truly competitive. What they have always needed was this:

1) Keep the bulk of the squad of local players rolling over into the new year (post W League)
2) Keep them training weekly as a complete unit
3) Train with the AUFC Youth Team
4) Then invite local players selected to participate in the pre-season training to see how they perform with the group
5) Then supplement the group with Visa and key interstate players to bring in key position players

I suspect that this was the plan the last 2 years however it started and then was quashed. Shame because AUFC W deserves better.

I'm backing our girls to win this week based on hard fought determination.
The new English import is not coming until the new year now, and if the Reds can minimize Fishlock's influence in the game we will have a good chance.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Spot on. However, they're not reigning champs for nothing.