Adelaide United looking for a new home for W league

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Adelaide United looking for a new home for W league

Post by Rightside »

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Adelaide United looking for a new home for W league

Post by geoff9559 »

$80k to run a match at Hindmarsh........that is quite an amount........but then you have lets say 8000 attend @ $25 per head (average) .....that's near $200k but then the overheads and the take by the FFA/FFSA and visiting club would cut into that amount (not to mention that a small percentage would go towards player fees, staff etc etc). So 8000 attending is (IMO) a breakeven figure.....anything under that and AUFC would be losing money hand over fist. Norwood and Marden make good sense I guess.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

AFL grounds for soccer ?? :x :x
Please AU, don't do it, we'd be a laughing stock (if we aren't already).
Marden makes more sense, particularly for the W-league games.
What happens to Hindmarsh if AU move out??

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

The annual chestnut (aka threat to move games away from Hindmarsh) raises its head. Every year since the three amigos took over the club this has become a bone of contention.

They don’t want to move. They want the venue operators to cut the costs to compensate for diminishing crowds because of a finicky supporter base…..
Is Norwood Oval a viable option?

Marden for the W-League. It’s a bit like history repeating. The WNSL (Sensations) played there all them years ago. The Parks not big enough/artificial pitches not healthy? Seems like a retrograde step if this was to occur.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

If United move W-league away from Parks to Marden i'm sure FFSA/Carter would be keen to pull the WNPL deal at the Parks/Shores as the reasoning of getting the girls playing on a good surface and used to artificial for the W-league season then becomes irrelevant

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Such a decision would be counter productive to WNPL and against the government's grants and support for women in sport i.e. decent venues where double headers (Parks) can be played. In relative comfort and above average facilities. I for one would not support a move away from Shores and Parks. As if my vote counts.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

I don't think you'll see the FFSA "punish" the WNPL because of the actions of a privately run club (AUFC). They handed control back over last year and have reduced their costs significantly as a result. The FFSA do a good trade on Friday nights in what would otherwise be two empty venues at that time.

alwaysoffside
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by alwaysoffside »

Lucas Leiva wrote:I don't think you'll see the FFSA "punish" the WNPL because of the actions of a privately run club (AUFC). They handed control back over last year and have reduced their costs significantly as a result. The FFSA do a good trade on Friday nights in what would otherwise be two empty venues at that time.
+1

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

alwaysoffside wrote:
Lucas Leiva wrote:I don't think you'll see the FFSA "punish" the WNPL because of the actions of a privately run club (AUFC). They handed control back over last year and have reduced their costs significantly as a result. The FFSA do a good trade on Friday nights in what would otherwise be two empty venues at that time.
+1
+2