WNPL

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Dave03
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

WNPL

Post by Dave03 »

News| Football Federation SA is pleased to announce the launch of the inaugural PlayStation 4 Women’s National Premier League (WNPL) and Women’s State League (WSL) in South Australia.

The formation of the PlayStation 4 WNPL, to start in 2016, marks a new era for female football in South Australia with eight clubs to take part in the top flight competition that will see double-header games played at Football Federation SA venues.

The eight clubs involved in the PlayStation 4 WNPL are:

Adelaide City Women's Football Club, Adelaide University, Cumberland United Women's Football Club, Fulham United, Metro United Women's Football Club, Para Hills Knights, Sturt Marion District and West Adelaide.

Read the full story here > http://goo.gl/EjTxqa

Playthewhistle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: WNPL

Post by Playthewhistle »

Good to see all the Prems clubs in this league for 2016 and committing to the new standards/requirements, looking forward to catching some of the Friday night double headers!

Hopefully will also allow for us to talk about these games more on this forum week to week in the hope that more people can get out to see the games

Journeyman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Journeyman »

I for one am looking forward to the re-branded competition and a new level of 'professionalism', the weekly Friday night games and the chance to see the other clubs more often.

On a side note, I think the FFSA have taken a conservative approach to the WNPL, unlike the QLD and Vic competitions. One or two clubs might have a substantial amount of work to do off the park before the season commences. I hope by doing this they haven't taken the 'easy way out' with regards to clubs meeting the standards.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

The FFSA have made it quite clear that clubs wishing to enter the new WNPL must meet all the criteria set by the association. The FFSA have also made it quite clear that no clubs will be given any exemptions under any circumstances.
However, it is my understanding that approx 4 clubs who were given the licence to enter the new WNPL will fail to fulfill their obligations or meet the criteria set by the FFSA at the commencement of 2016.
It is also my understanding the FFSA are fully aware of this issue but would be hoping it's swept under the carpet.
I wonder what would happen if these clubs are found to be non-compliance at the start of season 2016 and challenged by other clubs that have met the criteria :?: :?: :?: :?:
I WONDER :!: :!: :!: :!:

Playthewhistle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Playthewhistle »

What part of the criteria do you understand they wont meet?

Journeyman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Journeyman »

Sportsbird, are you suggesting up to 50% of the teams who've been given licences do not meet the criteria ? I'd also be interested to know what part of the criteria they fail to come up to scratch with.

Given the controversy surrounding the mens NPL and a particular side who failed to meet one aspect of the criteria but escaping a 1 point deduction as penalty ( resulting in another sides relegation ) this is something the FFSA can't afford to have happen again. I dont think the FFSA, or the FFA for that matter, will want another controversy regarding the WNPL happening here in SA, similar to what the Queensland association have regarding their age imposed restrictions and what the VICs have with successful sides there not getting a licence for 2016.

We're 4 months away from the beginning of the season and i'm sure there is plenty of time for 1 or 2 sides to get their house in order, but 4 ?

Hunter
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Hunter »

Sportsbird, so we all have the facts, can you please list the criteria or provide a link so we can read them.
This will enable everyone to figure out who may or may not meet the criteria - either now, or in the next 3-4 months

Thank-you

BlueForever
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by BlueForever »

If the games were to be played at home grounds half the teams do not have fencing and or players race. But as we understand the games will be played at either the Shores or Elite. Apart from that I'm not sure what the other criteria is that clubs need to get in order.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

The Main Points is as follows with some main criteria below:

1. Field of Play & Team Amenities
a) Perimeter Fencing - is no longer required

2. Spectators & other Venue Facilities
a) Score Boards
b) Car Parking
c) Canteen & Bar

3. Teams & Coaching Requirements
a) Senior Teams - Must have Senior & Reserves Team
b) Junior Teams - Must have (Miniroos-U6, U9, U11), U13, U15 & U17 Junior teams
c) Senior Coach must "C" licence
d) Reserves Coach must have Senior Licence
e) Technical Director with C licence

4. Club Personnel & Reporting Mechanism
No Main Criteria

5. Medical Requirements
a) Medical Room
b) Senior First Aid Officer

6. Signage & Logos
No Main Criteria

7. Club Development & Presentation of Games

a) Game Day Presentation
b) Club Development - required to have Level 2 of the National Club Accreditation Scheme (NCAS)
c) Community Development and Engagement

Now I will leave you forumites to work out the areas that the clubs will fail.

BlueForever
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by BlueForever »

As I understand it going by the FFSA website and other postings coaches of the prems should hold a B license assistant coaches and Reserves coaches need Senior C.
State League coaches need Senior C licence.

Your comments contradict this, where have you got your information from. Do tell

Journeyman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Journeyman »

BlueForever wrote:As I understand it going by the FFSA website and other postings coaches of the prems should hold a B license assistant coaches and Reserves coaches need Senior C.
State League coaches need Senior C licence.

Your comments contradict this, where have you got your information from. Do tell
BlueForever, I believe what you've quoted as the coaching standards are the ones applicable to the mens game

For the WNPL, senior coaches must hold ( or are in the process of attaining ) an Asia C licence. As should the coaching directors. Reserves and assistant coaches should hold a senior licence.

BlueForever
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by BlueForever »

If this is correct, I would stand corrected as I had asked someone from the FFSA regarding this. If you know what is the ruling for the State League coaches next year.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

State League coaches and assistants need a minimum of a senior license, according to the criteria document issued by FFSA

BeNatural
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BeNatural »

Kevin McCormack named as West Adelaide coach.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Now THAT'S interesting. Fantastic for women's football. A quality coach back in the women's game. Make that two quality coaches- sorry CG

BigFan
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by BigFan »

I hear sturt begun pre season the other night with only 7-8 players for 3 teams (prems, reserves, u17)

I really hope sturt had many players missing and dont leave it until the last minute in march to say they dont have enough players to field teams in reserves and u17's, which i assume are required to make the WNPL criteria. (stand to be corrected)

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

Didn't the FFSA recently ask clubs to provide actual names of players registered for 2016 to ensure team numbers were credible and meet the WNPL criteria??

I really hope FFSA ensure that all teams granted WNPL status have their house in order, ruling out the possibility of finding out a week before the competition starts, that some teams need to be withdrawn due to lack of numbers.

There are clubs in the State League with the structure and teams in place ready to make the jump to the WNPL.

I understand the the Victorian Federation was quite ruthless in their selection criteria for the WPNL. Many existing Premier leagues clubs were not accepted because they did not meet the relevant criteria and irrespective of their previous history in the Premier league.

Journeyman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Journeyman »

snow white wrote:Didn't the FFSA recently ask clubs to provide actual names of players registered for 2016 to ensure team numbers were credible and meet the WNPL criteria??
I dont think the clubs had to supply the list of 'registered' players, but the list referred mainly to players who will be playing at the club in 2016. To list registered players at this stage would have been an impossible task.

Having said that, ive heard that one club has close to 200 players from Mini Roos to Seniors. If so, thats an outstanding effort considering how far away we are from the start of the season.

Princess Fiona
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Princess Fiona »

snow white wrote:Didn't the FFSA recently ask clubs to provide actual names of players registered for 2016 to ensure team numbers were credible and meet the WNPL criteria??

I really hope FFSA ensure that all teams granted WNPL status have their house in order, ruling out the possibility of finding out a week before the competition starts, that some teams need to be withdrawn due to lack of numbers.

There are clubs in the State League with the structure and teams in place ready to make the jump to the WNPL.

I understand the the Victorian Federation was quite ruthless in their selection criteria for the WPNL. Many existing Premier leagues clubs were not accepted because they did not meet the relevant criteria and irrespective of their previous history in the Premier league.
Snow white - I think it is very easy to just supply a list of names for the teams for next year - how can you dispute that - its a rather pointless test. As I read it from last years results Sturt had 1 U17 team in the juniors so they will need to come up with 70 plus players plus coaches to fulfil the NPL junior teams requirements.
I also heard half of Sturt's ressie team and coach gone to Comets so senior numbers must be struggling too reflective in the numbers mentioned above
Federation must be investigating further and setting some criteria for them prior to the season so they don't fall over with lack of teams just before the start

Surely South and Comets must be extremely disappointed and be amazed at the NPL allocations with neither of them gaining an NPL license when they have consistently had those junior teams including most of grades required last year.

Slight revision- I just looked again at last years results and West only had one team too-wow lots of recruiting to be done by both teams
Last edited by Princess Fiona on Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

Princess Fiona wrote:

Snow white - I think it is very easy to just supply a list of names for the teams for next year - how can you dispute that - its a rather pointless test. As I read it from last years results Sturt had 1 U17 team in the juniors so they will need to come up with 70 plus players plus coaches to fulfil the NPL junior teams requirements.
I also heard half of Sturt's ressie team and coach gone to Comets so senior numbers must be struggling too reflective in the numbers mentioned above
Federation must be investigating further and setting some criteria for them prior to the season so they don't fall over with lack of teams just before the start

Surely South and Comets must be extremely disappointed and be amazed at the NPL allocations with neither of them gaining an NPL license when they have consistently had those junior teams including most of grades required last year.
The local game here can't afford anymore clubs to fold, but it seems Sturt's rumoured demise has been noted on this forum now for some time and it appears that their numbers at training this week for three teams, would strongly indicate they are in serious trouble.

I just dont want exemptions being made on empty promises, then come Round 1, Reserves and u/17's start getting forfeits when there are clearly growing clubs in the State League who have a large junior base and can step up.

Sturt should consider amalgamating with Cumby if their numbers are so dire.

FFSA need to clear this situation up before Xmas. Hopefully Sturt can pull it together.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

Journeyman wrote:
I dont think the clubs had to supply the list of 'registered' players, but the list referred mainly to players who will be playing at the club in 2016. To list registered players at this stage would have been an impossible task.

Having said that, ive heard that one club has close to 200 players from Mini Roos to Seniors. If so, thats an outstanding effort considering how far away we are from the start of the season.
Is this club State League or WNPL?

Princess Fiona
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Princess Fiona »

snow white wrote:
Princess Fiona wrote:

The local game here can't afford anymore clubs to fold, but it seems Sturt's rumoured demise has been noted on this forum now for some time and it appears that their numbers at training this week for three teams, would strongly indicate they are in serious trouble.

I just dont want exemptions being made on empty promises, then come Round 1, Reserves and u/17's start getting forfeits when there are clearly growing clubs in the State League who have a large junior base and can step up.

Sturt should consider amalgamating with Cumby if their numbers are so dire.

FFSA need to clear this situation up before Xmas. Hopefully Sturt can pull it together.
I agree no one wants a club folding but its fairness issue to the other clubs who have the track record.
Sounds a decent option though amalgamating, would help the Federation out of a pickle.

Brenton T
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brenton T »

Its the women's comp (boys/mens comp marginally better). Every year the same issues about teams maybe folding or not. Promotions occuring without merit or meeting all of the criteria, etc. And guess what concessions made so that the competition can continue.

As an aside, which teams have come into the WNPL with the perenial winners and become a strength of the WNPL? I'm sure I'll be hearing crickets.

Journeyman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Journeyman »

snow white wrote:
Journeyman wrote:

Is this club State League or WNPL?
WNPL Club

Fitball
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Fitball »

8)
BigFan wrote:I hear sturt begun pre season the other night with only 7-8 players for 3 teams (prems, reserves, u17)

I really hope sturt had many players missing and dont leave it until the last minute in march to say they dont have enough players to field teams in reserves and u17's, which i assume are required to make the WNPL criteria. (stand to be corrected)

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

So it appears from what has been noted thus far, that FFSA has decided that those clubs admitted to the WNPL have done so, merely on the basis that they have claimed to have met the 'criteria' with the FFSA taking their word without any validation.

If this is the case, and it turns out that a club does not meet the minimum criteria at the last minute, hoping to get an exemption at the last minute, then whoever made this decision at FFSA needs to be held to account.

7-8 players at training for the top 3 teams is a clear indication that a club is in crisis, especially given that this club's issues has been open knowledge for sometime now.

FFSA act now, and ensure the integrity of the competition rules and criteria are met. Sit down with the clubs and properly assess their real ability to meet the criteria. That is what any competent, credible and self respecting administration would do.

I won't hold my breath.

Journeyman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Journeyman »

I understand that there is a meeting between the FFSA and all WNPL clubs tonight, to discuss the upcoming season structure and answer questions from the clubs.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Journeyman wrote:I understand that there is a meeting between the FFSA and all WNPL clubs tonight, to discuss the upcoming season structure and answer questions from the clubs.
I look forward to hearing the outcome but still won't be holding my breath.

These 'meetings' then to be a fait accompli, with FFSA decisions already made.

Princess Fiona
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Princess Fiona »

scipio africanus wrote:
Journeyman wrote:I understand that there is a meeting between the FFSA and all WNPL clubs tonight, to discuss the upcoming season structure and answer questions from the clubs.

I've heard a couple of clubs have appealed the decision of NPL licenses.
Rumour is Michael Carter has intervened and ordered a review as he and the board don't want to be embarrassed when a club or two don't come up to the criteria when other clubs who do meet the criteria haven't been granted licenses.
This review to be announced at NPL club meeting this week - time will tell if correct

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Princess Fiona wrote:
scipio africanus wrote:

I've heard a couple of clubs have appealed the decision of NPL licenses.
Rumour is Michael Carter has intervened and ordered a review as he and the board don't want to be embarrassed when a club or two don't come up to the criteria when other clubs who do meet the criteria haven't been granted licenses.
This review to be announced at NPL club meeting this week - time will tell if correct
Hopefully this is true.

Sanity may prevail afterall, but irrespective, leaves some very serious question marks about the original decision makers and their process, with the fact that the CEO and the board have to intervene.