Is a Southern Premier league team about to fold?

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Troll
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Is a Southern Premier league team about to fold?

Post by Troll »

Words out on the street that the team in blue is about to fold. The assistant coach has left and the first team coach is sniffing at other clubs but can't find a job. Let's hope this isn't the case as the women's league needs all the teams it can get.

Journeyman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Is a Southern Premier league team about to fold?

Post by Journeyman »

I'm sure the incumbent coach will be staying at Sturt. Surprised to see Tony has left and gone to Comets, but you can only stay as a reserves coach for so long before you feel as if you want to have a go at coaching a full senior side.

As for folding...i'm sure the FFSA will not let that occur

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Sturt Marion will fold if they do not merge with Cumberland.
However, Cumberland have decided that they will not merge with Sturt but will wait for Sturt to fold and they will pick up the players.
The FFSA will not intervene as they would like to see less Clubs in the WNPL in 2016 as it forces clubs to become stronger.
Also Adelaide City WFC will be merging back to Adelaide City Boys ready for the WNPL in 2016 so they we be able to use Oakden ground with fencing.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

sportsbird wrote:Sturt Marion will fold if they do not merge with Cumberland.
However, Cumberland have decided that they will not merge with Sturt but will wait for Sturt to fold and they will pick up the players.
The FFSA will not intervene as they would like to see less Clubs in the WNPL in 2016 as it forces clubs to become stronger.

Also Adelaide City WFC will be merging back to Adelaide City Boys ready for the WNPL in 2016 so they we be able to use Oakden ground with fencing.
Source? Or is there none again...

Everyone already knew that about City anyway

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

member of cumberland

Worthless Gobemouche
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Worthless Gobemouche »

Talk of a merger between the 2 clubs has been doing the rounds for atleast 4 years...nothing new there.

Sturt decided long ago to invest their limited funds into a coach who has failed to deliver and who's game plan revolves around recruiting players from other clubs ( quite a few from Cumberland ironically ) No wonder their coach is looking to jump ship..the funds have dried up. No wonder Sturt raise the merger discussion again...they have no juniors and a facility they cant generate income from. Add to that, the coach they know wants out of there along with a fair chunk of their senior squad.

If i was Cumberland thats something id say isnt an attractive proposition

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

Worthless Gobemouche wrote:Talk of a merger between the 2 clubs has been doing the rounds for atleast 4 years...nothing new there.

Sturt decided long ago to invest their limited funds into a coach who has failed to deliver and who's game plan revolves around recruiting players from other clubs ( quite a few from Cumberland ironically ) No wonder their coach is looking to jump ship..the funds have dried up. No wonder Sturt raise the merger discussion again...they have no juniors and a facility they cant generate income from. Add to that, the coach they know wants out of there along with a fair chunk of their senior squad.

I see Sturt finished third to bottom, with Knights finishing ahead.

Given their strong playing list on paper (lady reds players, last year top goal scorer, amongst others), this is a very poor overall result for a team I would have predicted top 4 at beginning of the year.

So yes, your case for the coach has 'failed to deliver' carries a fair bit of merit.

Sad to see a club fold (if it happens). We don;t have that many around at Premier League level, but if it does eventuate, no doubt it will open opportunities for other ambitious Southern clubs to step up.

Fitball
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Fitball »

I'm just here to read the comments 8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ »

scipio africanus wrote:
Worthless Gobemouche wrote:Talk of a merger between the 2 clubs has been doing the rounds for atleast 4 years...nothing new there.

Given their strong playing list on paper (lady reds players, last year top goal scorer, amongst others), this is a very poor overall result for a team I would have predicted top 4 at beginning of the year.

So yes, your case for the coach has 'failed to deliver' carries a fair bit of merit.

Sad to see a club fold (if it happens). We don;t have that many around at Premier League level, but if it does eventuate, no doubt it will open opportunities for other ambitious Southern clubs to step up.
Bit hard to judge Sturt's quality based on the season just gone - considering how incredibly riddled with injury they were.

They had a fully fit team for one game and funny enough they were the only Team to beat metro.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

ElSeano wrote:
scipio africanus wrote:

Bit hard to judge Sturt's quality based on the season just gone - considering how incredibly riddled with injury they were.

They had a fully fit team for one game and funny enough they were the only Team to beat metro.
No doubt each Premier League squad copped injuries and not many of them get to play anywhere near full strength for large parts of the season. Sturt would not have been alone in this regard.

The fact that they were the only team that beat Metro actually supports the theory they underachieved, finishing third to last, despite having the ability to be the only team to beat the double winning side.

When you look at the Sturt first XI, it is quite formidable. You may be right with the injuries, but on paper the side has underachieved.

The fact they we are now talking about the club folding is further proof that something is seriously amiss off the pitch. Clubs don't fold because of being riddled with injuries.

BlueForever
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by BlueForever »

Is there any truth to the rumour that Para Hills Knights may not have enough money to fund there womens teams.

Fitball
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Fitball »

BlueForever wrote:Is there any truth to the rumour that Para Hills Knights may not have enough money to fund there womens teams.
Nope false

BlueForever
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by BlueForever »

Good to hear

Princess Fiona
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Princess Fiona »

scipio africanus wrote:

Have to agree scipi & WG
Very disappointing results for Sturt Marion with their squad to finish lower than PHK illustrates the poor season
Really though the lack of junior development & junior teams with their Prem coach at the helm is biggest disappointment with the requirements for new Prem league it will prob see S/M drop out of the competition.

Fitball
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Fitball »

but that's non of by business ..... :D

Black Hawk
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Black Hawk »

Just drop down to div 1 and rebuild

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

BlueForever wrote:Is there any truth to the rumour that Para Hills Knights may not have enough money to fund there womens teams.
Don't think its money.