Metro United vs Adelaide City

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Metro United vs Adelaide City

Post by United We Stand »

Lucas Leiva wrote:Heaps of finger pointing going on here.

The game had a lot at stake - a championship no less - so can understand the heated intensity of the situation. However I have been at many games with as much on the line if not more with more than the reported 400-500 and had not seen crowd interference. The other thing that is ironic is that the "Respect" banners would've been out for all spectators to see as well.

I'm making this comment in general rather than specific to this game, but it's symptomatic of an environment where family members outnumber pure spectators (one-eyed or not) for such events to occur. Not the first time aggression at a Women's match has made the papers here in SA and not the last, but by putting a fence between spectators and the pitch won't change the actual spectator or what they're saying or feeling.

Time all families were educated on the correct protocol at Women's (and Junior) matches. And the best thing? They can't use the excuse they're "paying customers and have the right to" like alot of AFL banana spectators do.

I disagree that its symptomatic of an environment where family members outnumber pure spectators. That isn't the problem at all.

My observation has been that referees let far too many rugby style and two footed challenges go without clamping down on it. This leads to an increasing frustration for the spectators and it leads to verbal abuse when a girl get seriously hurt and the referees have failed to even flash a yellow.

Talking to some City fans last Sunday, they expressed their frustration that their top striker had been "targeted" by certain opposition and "hacked" to the point that she has been seriously injured for weeks. They already were frustrated that teams had been dishing out the overly physical tactics and were expecting the same physical approach by Metro. So when yet another of their players is kicked whilst lying on the ground,there was anger.

I don't condone the female supporter who ran on to the pitch to check on her family member and remonstrate with the Metro girl. However, I do understand the frustration that has been building up over the season when illegal tactics are not punished by the referee. One person on this forum has even expressed the fact that he/she will not be attending games any more because of the leniency demonstrated by the referees

As a neutral, I must say,that Metro have been even more physical against City in the past. They have always had a physical approach against City. Last Sunday,it wasn't as pronounced as it has been. The kicking of the girl on the ground was the exception though. I firmly believe that had the referee had been consistent,not made as many errors that led to goals/send off and,importantly, flashed a yellow card to control the over physical challenges and sent off the Metro player, that there would have been no trouble at all. Despite the rivaly between these two clubs,there has never been an abandonment of the game or the amount of anger/frustration that was in evidence last Sunday.

AWA
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by AWA »

Stuck record United We Stand
Clearly you've not used timely wisely on the keyboard & looked up the definition of neutral!

United We Stand wrote:

The game had a lot at stake - a championship no less - so can understand the heated intensity of the situation. However I have been at many games with as much on the line if not more with more than the reported 400-500 and had not seen crowd interference. The other thing that is ironic is that the "Respect" banners would've been out for all spectators to see as well.

I'm making this comment in general rather than specific to this game, but it's symptomatic of an environment where family members outnumber pure spectators (one-eyed or not) for such events to occur. Not the first time aggression at a Women's match has made the papers here in SA and not the last, but by putting a fence between spectators and the pitch won't change the actual spectator or what they're saying or feeling.

Time all families were educated on the correct protocol at Women's (and Junior) matches. And the best thing? They can't use the excuse they're "paying customers and have the right to" like alot of AFL banana spectators do.

I disagree that its symptomatic of an environment where family members outnumber pure spectators. That isn't the problem at all.

My observation has been that referees let far too many rugby style and two footed challenges go without clamping down on it. This leads to an increasing frustration for the spectators and it leads to verbal abuse when a girl get seriously hurt and the referees have failed to even flash a yellow.

Talking to some City fans last Sunday, they expressed their frustration that their top striker had been "targeted" by certain opposition and "hacked" to the point that she has been seriously injured for weeks. They already were frustrated that teams had been dishing out the overly physical tactics and were expecting the same physical approach by Metro. So when yet another of their players is kicked whilst lying on the ground,there was anger.

I don't condone the female supporter who ran on to the pitch to check on her family member and remonstrate with the Metro girl. However, I do understand the frustration that has been building up over the season when illegal tactics are not punished by the referee. One person on this forum has even expressed the fact that he/she will not be attending games any more because of the leniency demonstrated by the referees

As a neutral, I must say,that Metro have been even more physical against City in the past. They have always had a physical approach against City. Last Sunday,it wasn't as pronounced as it has been. The kicking of the girl on the ground was the exception though. I firmly believe that had the referee had been consistent,not made as many errors that led to goals/send off and,importantly, flashed a yellow card to control the over physical challenges and sent off the Metro player, that there would have been no trouble at all. Despite the rivaly between these two clubs,there has never been an abandonment of the game or the amount of anger/frustration that was in evidence last Sunday.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

AWA, you clearly need to go back to school and take English lessons. You obviously can't comprehend the wider issue that I have brought up. I have NOT made one-sided comments and even praised the officials of both sides for acting responsibly so that things would not get totally out of hand. I have only explained the frustrations of supporters with referees that do not protect players and don't clamp down on illegal tactics. I praised Metro as a deserving victor of the game and the championship. I said that I don't condone the City spectator running on to the pitch. So how do you get the interpretation that I am not neutral? Is it because I have friends at City? I was honest and open about that so that I could clearly explain the frustrations of their supporters on the day and how it led to the abandonment of the game. Stuck record maybe, but I know that what I am saying is accurate. I am just surprised that these frustrations haven't spilled over and on to the pitch before this.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

United We Stand wrote:

Which club 'targeted' and 'hacked' a 'top city striker'????

Interesting how you don't condone pitch invasions, but within the same sentence, go on to say that she 'ran onto the pitch to check her family member and remonstrate with the Metro girl. Your condemnation appears to come with a justification, when quite frankly there is no justification for entering the field of play, full stop.

In your opinion, what should be the punishment for pitch invasions by fans that get games postponed irrespective of the motivation?

letac
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by letac »

News just in, FFSA has found White City guilty for bringing the game into disrepute last week during the last round match between Metro United - Adelaide City game. It has come to FFSA attention that White City supporters entered the field of play at the said match and that they will take points off them next season.

Stand Strong
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Stand Strong »

Firstly you say White City you must mean Adelaide City, Second I heard that there was to be a disciplinary meeting this Thursday night. How can they give out this sort of information prior to the meeting. Where was your info from.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

letac wrote:News just in, FFSA has found White City guilty for bringing the game into disrepute last week during the last round match between Metro United - Adelaide City game. It has come to FFSA attention that White City supporters entered the field of play at the said match and that they will take points off them next season.
It's only fair.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

Stand Strong wrote:Firstly you say White City you must mean Adelaide City, Second I heard that there was to be a disciplinary meeting this Thursday night. How can they give out this sort of information prior to the meeting. Where was your info from.
Refer threads on other sub-forums regarding penalties imposed against White City and various people thinking FFSA have an agenda against them.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Which club 'targeted' and 'hacked' a 'top city striker'????

Interesting how you don't condone pitch invasions, but within the same sentence, go on to say that she 'ran onto the pitch to check her family member and remonstrate with the Metro girl. Your condemnation appears to come with a justification, when quite frankly there is no justification for entering the field of play, full stop.

In your opinion, what should be the punishment for pitch invasions by fans that get games postponed irrespective of the motivation?[/quote]

I will not answer the first one as I was only "told" about it and didn't witness it myself. However, I have seen this girl being "hacked" consistently by more than one club. I also don't want to further tensions between the women's clubs after what happened last Sunday. I just hope that the FFSA directs the referees to clamp down on "thuggery."

My condemnation was not attached to a justification at all. People on this forum wanted me to explain what happened. I would have explained it the same way if the roles were reversed and a City girl had kicked a Metro girl on the ground and a Metro supporter came on to check on her family member.

Punishments will depend on a number of factors and the circumstances involved in each individual incident. Factors like, have there been any previous history of crowd trouble/games being abandoned? The number of supporters who run onto the field should also be considered. Was it one or two out of control supporters or a mass invasion of supporters. Was there any physical violence involved? The referees involved should also be scrutinised and demoted/suspended themselves if found to have failed in their duty of care to the players.. The Metro girl should certainly be suspended for 3-4 games for the violent and cowardly attack on the City girl. If it could be enforced, a ban for the spectator that ran on to the pitch.

I don't believe that the two clubs Metro and City should be punished as they both reacted responsibly and ensured that things didn't get totally out of control. The Ground stewards could not have prevented what happened because it happened right in front of where the female supporter was standing. She may have jumped a fence if there was one such was the closeness of her family member being attacked. I certainly don't believe that there should be suspensions for coaches as someone on this forum has suggested. For a first offence like this perhaps a good behaviour bond with heavy fines, loss of points to be enforced if the bond is broken. As it is,I believe that the way the rules are framed, that Metro will be awarded the game result as it stood. The pity of all this was that it was actually a good game between two top sides. City were fighting back after having their captain sent off and the game was at an interesting point with plenty of time remaining. That's what I came to see. Not the violence and subsequent abandonment of the game fifteen minutes early.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

United We Stand wrote:I will not answer the first one as I was only "told" about it and didn't witness it myself. However, I have seen this girl being "hacked" consistently by more than one club. I also don't want to further tensions between the women's clubs after what happened last Sunday. I just hope that the FFSA directs the referees to clamp down on "thuggery."

My condemnation was not attached to a justification at all. People on this forum wanted me to explain what happened. I would have explained it the same way if the roles were reversed and a City girl had kicked a Metro girl on the ground and a Metro supporter came on to check on her family member.

Punishments will depend on a number of factors and the circumstances involved in each individual incident. Factors like, have there been any previous history of crowd trouble/games being abandoned? The number of supporters who run onto the field should also be considered. Was it one or two out of control supporters or a mass invasion of supporters. Was there any physical violence involved? The referees involved should also be scrutinised and demoted/suspended themselves if found to have failed in their duty of care to the players.. The Metro girl should certainly be suspended for 3-4 games for the violent and cowardly attack on the City girl. If it could be enforced, a ban for the spectator that ran on to the pitch.

I don't believe that the two clubs Metro and City should be punished as they both reacted responsibly and ensured that things didn't get totally out of control. The Ground stewards could not have prevented what happened because it happened right in front of where the female supporter was standing. She may have jumped a fence if there was one such was the closeness of her family member being attacked. I certainly don't believe that there should be suspensions for coaches as someone on this forum has suggested. For a first offence like this perhaps a good behaviour bond with heavy fines, loss of points to be enforced if the bond is broken. As it is,I believe that the way the rules are framed, that Metro will be awarded the game result as it stood. The pity of all this was that it was actually a good game between two top sides. City were fighting back after having their captain sent off and the game was at an interesting point with plenty of time remaining. That's what I came to see. Not the violence and subsequent abandonment of the game fifteen minutes early.
Thank goodness you're a neutral. I'd hate to see what you'd write if you were biased. How many City games did you go to? And how many would you have to go to before you considered yourself not to be neutral?

Of course City should be punished for failing to control their spectators. Without that incident the game continues with the ref dishing out yellow and red cards to any players that do the wrong thing (eg run in and get violent).

As for the kick on the ground. Let the officials deal with it. That's what they're there for. If they miss it, then that's just bad luck, not an excuse for pitch invasion.
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

OK, here's a question that hasn't been asked - was the kick:

a) a trailing leg tap she tried to disguise as walking past
b) a "controlled pass"
c) a "shot on the laces at full force"

And how did the girl of the deck end up there - was it:

a) from a tackle
b) from falling over
c) pushed
d) dive

Just for a bit of context...

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

Lucas Leiva wrote:OK, here's a question that hasn't been asked - was the kick:

b) a "controlled pass"

a) from a tackle
b) from falling over
c) pushed
d) dive

Here's another:
Was the player on the ground illegally obstructing access to the ball?
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Matthew
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Matthew »

What was the outcome of the tribunal last night?

AWA
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by AWA »

Yes keen to hear as well!
I'd prefer a neutral convey it so that rules out United We Stand

corona
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by corona »

reading all this and what has happened at senior mens level too . I really think the ffsa needs to put out a heavy hand , no little fines and suspended sentence . Because my fear is one day a little child will be in the middle by accident and get seriously hurt and then the ppl in charge will go hard on teams, while it can be prevented earlier . and the ppl going to the DC tribunal should tell the truth not what they say for there club to get less punishment . and all off us need to act more responsible , its a game a beautiful game and there are officials to control the game . not spectators . really sad to see all this act of violence in our game .

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

otto62 wrote:
Lucas Leiva wrote:OK, here's a question that hasn't been asked - was the kick:

b) a "controlled pass"

a) from a tackle
b) from falling over
c) pushed
d) dive

Here's another:

Was the player on the ground illegally obstructing access to the ball?
First of all it was a full blooded kick as if a player was shooting at goal. A deliberate and cowardly act. It was also unprovoked.
Secondly,the girl was pushed to the ground from behind, after trying to shield the ball from her opponent.
The player was not illegally obstructing access to the ball. She was lying on the ground after being pushed and kicked by the Metro player. The ball had run out of play,being so close to the touchline. Stupidly,the Metro girl did this in the vicinity of the City bench and supporters.

LL and Otto, are you looking for reasons to clear the Metro girl of any wrongdoing? Anyone who was there knows that something seriously violent happened, judging by the reaction of the crowd. That reaction was not to any decision by the referee or referee's assistant. They made NO decision ( Probably claiming that they saw nothing, which is virtually impossible in the case of the referee.). They clearly failed in their duty of care to protect players from violence by not having the guts to send her off. I don't care whether it was a City or Metro girl that did it. It was a violent act that deserves a hefty suspension.

P.S I AM neutral. If you read my posts carefully,you would see that. Did I not claim (truthfully!) that Metro deserved to win the game and the championship? I have watched both Sturt and City several times as I have friends at both clubs and I enjoy watching the women's game as well as the mens. I do support a men's club in the NPL and Adelaide United in the A-League. That is my allegiance.I have my doubts whether YOU are neutral after posing those questions about the incident.

I simply love the beautiful game and hate thuggery which only spoils the game. I also hate refereeing incompetence when they fail to punish crude challenges and violence of the sort that we saw last Sunday. I bet that both the referee and the Metro girl get off scott free. There can be no doubt that City are guilty for one of its supporters running on to the field. We'll see what the Disciplinary Tribunal comes up with.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

AWA wrote:Yes keen to hear as well!

What an idiotic interpretation of where I am at in terms of neutrality. Have you bothered to read every word of what I have posted?

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

interestingly the three worst teams for red cards and yellows are:excluding the only red being that of city for the MJ smash reaction, which the ref didn't see? Also the kicking into the city player red card ( x amount of games i guess for metro )

I find it, to hard to believe the linesman staring right in front of the incident saw nothing ? referee sticking up for one another again, time to start making referees responsible and teams like the top two get away with dirty tactics to achieve success.

Clubs yellows Reds
West Adelaide 10 1
Metro United WFC 6 1
Adelaide City 6 1
Adelaide University 2 1
Cumberland United 2 1
Fulham United 7
Para Hills Knights 5
FFSA U14/15 Girls 2
Sturt Marion 2

AWA
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by AWA »

United We Stand wrote:

What an idiotic interpretation of where I am at in terms of neutrality. Have you bothered to read every word of what I have posted?
United We Stand wrote:
P.S I AM neutral. If you read my posts carefully,you would see that.
Sadly I do read them hence my conclusion
United We Stand doth protesteth too much me thinks!
You'll need to look up the meaning of the original phrase, excuse the slight paraphrase :wink:

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

AWA, You are not on the same wavelength (Pardon the pun. lol!). My conscience is clear. I have nothing to gain by making anything up, so if you can't comprehend my explanation of what happened,that is your problem. Funny that you weren't at Lindblom Park, but make a judgement like that. Read my other post where I reply to Lucas Leiva and Otto as I have explained far too much, despite the fact people on this forum requested it. I am looking at the wider issue of thuggery and refereeing incompetence and allowing so many crude fouls/violence going unpunished. It seems that people either can't comprehend what I am trying to raise as an issue or they have misinterpreted my comments as an attack on the Metro United club. They are my last words on this matter.

AWA
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by AWA »

United We Stand wrote:AWA, You are not on the same wavelength (Pardon the pun. lol!). My conscience is clear. I have nothing to gain by making anything up, so if you can't comprehend my explanation of what happened,that is your problem. Funny that you weren't at Lindblom Park, but make a judgement like that. Read my other post where I reply to Lucas Leiva and Otto as I have explained far too much, despite the fact people on this forum requested it. I am looking at the wider issue of thuggery and refereeing incompetence and allowing so many crude fouls/violence going unpunished. It seems that people either can't comprehend what I am trying to raise as an issue or they have misinterpreted my comments as an attack on the Metro United club. They are my last words on this matter.
Thank God for that!
AWA/wavelength??...actually don't bother explaining I'll look it up myself.

M@rvin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by M@rvin »

Result stands Metro win the league.
Fines etc to be advised next week.
The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible. It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work.

George Graham