ABC to axe W-League 2015/16

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

thewabster
Star Player
Star Player

ABC to axe W-League 2015/16

Post by thewabster »

"FFA today received final confirmation of ABC TV's decision to cease broadcast of the W-League for the 2015/16 season as part of widespread budget cuts that affect sporting codes and competitions all over Australia," an FFA spokesperson said.

"FFA is disappointed with the decision to cut the broadcast of Australia's premier women's national sporting competition.

"The decision does not affect broadcast of the current W-League season or the on-going viability of the competition and FFA will work with all broadcasters to explore options to ensure the on-going coverage of the W-League."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-24/a ... tion=sport

Stand Strong
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: ABC to axe W-League 2015/16

Post by Stand Strong »

I understand this is not good for the sport, but maybe the FFA and all other associations need to look at how they manage and advertise the game. How ever I want to know from someone in the know if the reason has always been given that the women and men cant play double headers due to televising rights between Foxtel and ABC, why there was Foxtel advertising on the fence at the game on sunday.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

They dont even do YT before hand and you'd think that would be more benefit to AU being there out of squad seniors play.
But if you take from this forum the general interest in the lady reds games its only ever negative interest, so people that arent involved in womens football that read this forum arent exactly being drawn to the game.

COYR98
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by COYR98 »

Cut NBL as well i think, always were going to cut it.Hopefully one of the networks pick it up.