Round 2 - Lady Reds vs Victory

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Round 2 - Lady Reds vs Victory

Post by Red-4-Life »

Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory
Saturday 16 November 2013
Burton Park, Adelaide
Local kick-off: 2pm (2.30pm AEDT)

This one is shaping as an intriguing contest with both sides earning contrasting and, indeed, surprising results in the opening round. Adelaide will be looking forward to their maiden home appearance after their hard-earned 1-1 draw at Western Sydney Wanderers. Melbourne, who boast high expectations for the season, have to pick themselves up following a 5-1 mauling by a rampant Sydney FC.

The new-look Adelaide showed a level of spirit and competitiveness in keeping with the playing style of their debutant coach Ross Aloisi. On this showing the Lady Reds will no longer be a team from whom a win is expected, with their physical and athletic approach very nearly reaping all three points last weekend. A youthful Adelaide side will look to the leadership at either end of the pitch in goalkeeper Melissa Barbieri and wide player Kristy Moore, while the expected arrival of experienced Norwegian Lisa-Marie Woods will boost the midfield.

The Victory will receive a similar injection of international flavour with highly-regarded Swedish 21-year-old defender Jessica Samuelsson to what was a porous defence in the opening round. No doubt coach Dave Edmondson, facing his old club, will be looking to utilise his talented wide players, notably captain Steph Catley who had a quiet match against the Sky Blues by her own high standards. The Victory will also be wary of Adelaide repeating an opening win from their first home game last season.

Adelaide United squad: Melissa Barbieri (gk), Bianca Gray, Alexandra Gummer, Tegan Riding, Jessie Wharepouri, Laura Stockdale, Racheal Quigley, Emily Condon, Lisa-Marie Woods, Monique Iannella, Isobel Hodgson, Daila Tais-Borg, Jayah Brown, Jenna McCormick, Jessica Waterhouse, Tiarn Powell, Jess Nagel, Kelly Baltrop, Kristy Moore (C) (four to be omitted)

Ins: Emily Condon, Monique Iannella, Jessica Waterhouse, Lisa-Marie Woods (LSK Kvinner, Norway)

Outs: None

Unavailable: None

Melbourne Victory squad: Brianna DAVEY (GK), Jessica HUMBLE, Katie HOYLE, Cindy LAY, Stephanie CATLEY (c), Caitlin FRIEND, Lisa DE VANNA, Jessica SAMUELSSON, Enza BARILLA, Emma CHECKER, Beattie GOAD, Gulcan KOCA, Emily HULBERT, Alex NATOLI, Cassandra DIMOVSKI

Ins: Jessica Samuelsson (Linkoping FC, Sweden), Beattie Goad (promoted)

Outs: Tiffany Eliadis, Laura Spiranovic (both omitted).

Unavailable: Jess Fishlock (overseas – 1 week), Ash Brown (knee – 2 weeks)

Join the conversation on Twitter using #wleague
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/new ... tory/78320

2-1 win Adelaide

Stand Strong
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Round 2 - Lady Reds vs Victory

Post by Stand Strong »

Can anyone explain to me why we played a new International player ahead of local players who have been with the team from day 1. I know we had a draw last week but today was a game we had to win. If for nothing else a bit of respect.

Black Hawk
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Black Hawk »

playercoach wrote:Can anyone explain to me why we played a new International player ahead of local players who have been with the team from day 1. I know we had a draw last week but today was a game we had to win. If for nothing else a bit of respect.
If Tim Cahill came to the Reds would you play him or put him on the bench?

Its football, you play the best and that is respect

Stand Strong
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Stand Strong »

Just like Perth you show respect to your team by playing off the bench. One quality player won't change a team especially if they haven't trained together. Everyone needs to earn there spot not just rely on there name. That's respect for everyone and creates team harmony not animosity, no one deserves a walk in. Just my opinion

gunners01
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by gunners01 »

Couldn't agree more- what a shame seeing all our signed girls not playing, a huge disappointment especially when we lost- no excuses Ross has good players a bigger budget his own team ffsa this year in the background he has his own say :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

QuantoQuesta
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by QuantoQuesta »

Adelaide United: 1. Melissa Barbieri (GK), 2. Bianca Gray (14. Jayah Brown 46'), 3. Alexandra Gummer, 5. Jessie Wharepouri, 6. Laura Stockdale, 7. Rachael Quigley, 9. Lisa-Marie Woods, 12. Daila-Tais Borg (4. Tegan Riding 87'), 15. Jenna McCormick, 17. Tiarn Powell (16. Jessica Waterhouse 76'), 23. Kristy Moore (C)

So only Bianca Gray, Rachael Quigley, Jenna McCormick, Jess Waterhouse and Kristy Moore in the team this week from Adelaide yet we were still outclassed by the tards. I totally agree that SA players should not be selected by right and if interstate players are better and they are willing to relocate they should play but I am not convinced these ones are..?

Surely Hodgson, Ianella, Nagel, and others are just as good as some of the imports on show yesterday? As for the internationals, again we need better, Brisbane have the German national team keeper, Canberra have three US internationals, DE has secured a swedish international and Fishlock again.. Stockdale/Woods...?

gunners01
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by gunners01 »

Totally agree we were outplayed, these players r just not up 2 the standard so lets see our SA players have a go :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

General Ashnak
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by General Ashnak »

Interesting game, it was a good experience for our younger players to see that a clothesline in the box is fair contact but using shoulder to shoulder body strength to allow your keeper to cleanly secure the ball is a penalty :)
"The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that its not just about football."

- Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

What was the score?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

John Cena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by John Cena »

How did Checker play ?

cg1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cg1 »

Reasonable result for the L/Reds but still a loss.
Most of play seemed dominated by MV.
A few things though.
2 experienced midfielders starting in defence although McCormick has been played in defense in most trials.
Moore moved to right presumably to curb Catley & DeVanna influence? ...just guessing
If so, sort of worked but then Moore ended up defending quite deep so lost some potency in attack.
Quigley played as a 7 wide? Would have thought Hodgson, Congdon or Iannella would be better suited there.
Moore moved to right back when 1 nil down - a move to restrict MV scoring at the cost of Reds trying to get equaliser?
When Devanna played on the right Moore kept at right back, would have been nice to get her forward then perhaps
IMO this would be better defence than what we are playing
Scalzi-McCormick(if RA insists)-Weidenbach-Steer
Steer had outstanding season in Prem and deserves a place if a replacement is required for Grey, equally Scalzi been consistently good every season too so deserves an opportunity
IMO must play Waterhouse!

Checker had a great game IMO, pity she isn’t in red.

as for playing internationals
Bit like having a dog and barking yourself.
Why would you bring in an international player and sit them on the bench or just in the squad?

gunners01
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by gunners01 »

Just wanting 2 know y Ross only has 15 when I thought u could have 16 signed 4 a game, it would of been great experience even just 2 sit on the bench or travel 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I think Jenna McCormick did a great job in defence Saturday- seems well suited to the position. AU BOG IMO...

Unretired
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Unretired »

W-League you are only allowed 3 Substitutes and 1 reserve Goalie

cg1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cg1 »

juniorsupporter wrote:I think Jenna McCormick did a great job in defence Saturday- seems well suited to the position. AU BOG IMO...
Agree McCormick did do very well.