DE masterminds MV worst ever loss to Sydney

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

voldemort
In Memory of Dylan Tombides
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

DE masterminds MV worst ever loss to Sydney

Post by voldemort »

Melbournes 1:5 loss to Sydney is reported as the worst loss to their rival.
Makes next weeks clash with Adelaide very important in such a short season.

QuantoQuesta
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: DE masterminds MV worst ever loss to Sydney

Post by QuantoQuesta »

HAHA what a joke!

We should be glad he has left SA as it appears he did nothing for our game and has now ruined Victorian women's football too.

I hope plenty of people will be at the game next week to abuse and attack him as the pathetic loser he has now been exposed as. He produces Victorys worst ever result against Sydney and Ross produces The Lady reds best ever result against Western Sydney if i'm not mistaken..

Bring on next week and an easy win against The Lady Tards and the biggest Tard of them all DE...

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Sorry QQ but the Lady Reds beat Western Sydney in the season opener last year. 3-2. Sarah McLaughlin hat trick. But there is no denying that thei Lady Reds performance today was strong and that there is a lot to be positive about. I am sure that Dave Edmondson is not a happy guy ATM, having been thrashed by Sydney. Both team are going to be hungry for a win next weekend. I am looking forward to the game.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

QuantoQuesta wrote:HAHA what a joke!

We should be glad he has left SA as it appears he did nothing for our game and has now ruined Victorian women's football too.

I hope plenty of people will be at the game next week to abuse and attack him as the pathetic loser he has now been exposed as. He produces Victorys worst ever result against Sydney and Ross produces The Lady reds best ever result against Western Sydney if i'm not mistaken..

Bring on next week and an easy win against The Lady Tards and the biggest Tard of them all DE...
With all respect QQ, you spent the best part of last season heavily defending DE.

This forum never ceases to amaze me.

As for DE, good to see he is bringing Victory to the same level he left SA.

southern
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by southern »

What kind of a feral are you QQ? How embarrassing...

3lionsonashirt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 3lionsonashirt »

Bad Egg wrote:

What kind of a feral are you QQ? How embarrassing...
QQ that was a bit over the top, but i do agree with the whole DE is an idiot.

he killed the lady reds last year, then he took a role up in melb (thank god). Ross will be great for the girls this year, very positive start for them and some good play pick ups.

Hope the Lady Reds smash Melb next weekend.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Be mindful of what you say about DE.

If lady reds lose against Victory this week, does it mean that Ross is no better coach than DE.

Food for thought.

3lionsonashirt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 3lionsonashirt »

sportsbird wrote:Be mindful of what you say about DE.

If lady reds lose against Victory this week, does it mean that Ross is no better coach than DE.

Food for thought.
Not really. Ross has chosen a team off what he has seen, DE picked a team off what the ffsa wanted.

And if anyone has seen the coaching ross has done and compaired it to what DE did. You would be able to see how much better ross is.

QuantoQuesta
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by QuantoQuesta »

DE picked a team FFSA wanted? Can you explain that? Did he really get forced to pick certain players by FFSA? If so that's terrible! Good if Ross is now able to select who he wants to though! just a shame he couldn't keep the internationals from the last couple of years as I thought Abby and Anna especially were outstanding players.

Funny how opinions change, mine included, as lots of people, again me included thought DE was a good coach when he first arrived and lots of positive talk on here from players etc about his sessions but now Ross has come in it seems maybe DE Was just better than what the had been before with Barnett???

Hope Ross really is the saviour of womens football in SA this time!

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

QuantoQuesta wrote:DE picked a team FFSA wanted? Can you explain that? Did he really get forced to pick certain players by FFSA? If so that's terrible! Good if Ross is now able to select who he wants to though! just a shame he couldn't keep the internationals from the last couple of years as I thought Abby and Anna especially were outstanding players.

Agreed. Is Abby at another W-league team?

Unretired
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Unretired »

Abbey is playing in Germany

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Further to my previous comment, I would like to say that Ross maybe the coach we need to get us out from the bottom of the table. It may or may not, time will tell.

FFSA have tried several coaches in the past without success. Could this be inadequacies of previous coaches or were there underlying factors.

So in defence to DE and all previous coaches "THE COACH IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS OR HER PLAYERS.

Therefore it makes me wonder whether we have the quality players to be successful in the long term future, not a short term.

However, there are quality players coming through the State Under 15's team right now which is encouraging not only for the W League but for the clubs when they return.

But again we need to look beyond the current elite players but our grassroots.

Therefore the FFSA need to concentrate more on the 7-13 year old players to ensure the future of women's football.

3lionsonashirt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 3lionsonashirt »

QuantoQuesta wrote:DE picked a team FFSA wanted? Can you explain that? Did he really get forced to pick certain players by FFSA? If so that's terrible! Good if Ross is now able to select who he wants to though! just a shame he couldn't keep the internationals from the last couple of years as I thought Abby and Anna especially were outstanding players.

Funny how opinions change, mine included, as lots of people, again me included thought DE was a good coach when he first arrived and lots of positive talk on here from players etc about his sessions but now Ross has come in it seems maybe DE Was just better than what the had been before with Barnett???

maybe not forced but it would have been heavily influenced by them to pick certain players. the internationals he had did a great job no doubt, but the SA players 'he' picked (on doing normal training drills not matches, therefor he has never really seen them play) were the wrong choices.

QuantoQuesta
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by QuantoQuesta »

3lionsonashirt wrote:

maybe not forced but it would have been heavily influenced by them to pick certain players. the internationals he had did a great job no doubt, but the SA players 'he' picked (on doing normal training drills not matches, therefor he has never really seen them play) were the wrong choices.
i don't really understand that comment about picking on drills not matches... didn't he watch them all year in club matches?

Would also be interested to know which ones you think were wrong? Quigs, Waterhouse, McCormick, Ianella, Warepoori and KB have been reselected. I am surprised MJ, Macri and Cassie were not selected this time, so that really leaves Laura Johns, Kristi Harvey, Ruth Wallace, Grace Henry, Elise Whorlow, Emma Checker (MV), Alex Natoli(MV) and Ann Mayo - which of those do you think shouldnt have been selected? (Thanks to Wikipedia for the squad list from last year haha im not that much of a tragic...)

3lionsonashirt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 3lionsonashirt »

QuantoQuesta wrote:
3lionsonashirt wrote:

i don't really understand that comment about picking on drills not matches... didn't he watch them all year in club matches?

Would also be interested to know which ones you think were wrong? Quigs, Waterhouse, McCormick, Ianella, Warepoori and KB have been reselected. I am surprised MJ, Macri and Cassie were not selected this time, so that really leaves , Ruth Wallace, Grace Henry, Elise Whorlow, Emma Checker (MV), Alex Natoli(MV) and Ann Mayo - which of those do you think shouldnt have been selected? (Thanks to Wikipedia for the squad list from last year haha im not that much of a tragic...)
well when he was doing the "trials" he would do normal training drills as you would during the season. which can only show you so much of any player. any good coach would pick his players off watching them in trial matches (not 100% sure if he/ffsa organised any) and league games (which i believe he didnt go to many/enough to make a good judgment on players) which is why i disagree with some of the player selections.

MJ, Georgia Macri, Cassie T, Elise Whorlow, Laura Johns, Kristi Harvey, Grace Henry... alex natoli and ann mayo ive never even heard of but of course this comes down to my personal opinion of the players listed.

Ginger Pele
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Ginger Pele »

sportsbird wrote:Further to my previous comment, I would like to say that Ross maybe the coach we need to get us out from the bottom of the table. It may or may not, time will tell.

FFSA have tried several coaches in the past without success. Could this be inadequacies of previous coaches or were there underlying factors.

So in defence to DE and all previous coaches "THE COACH IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS OR HER PLAYERS.

Therefore it makes me wonder whether we have the quality players to be successful in the long term future, not a short term.

However, there are quality players coming through the State Under 15's team right now which is encouraging not only for the W League but for the clubs when they return.

But again we need to look beyond the current elite players but our grassroots.

Therefore the FFSA need to concentrate more on the 7-13 year old players to ensure the future of women's football.
Bingo!!!! We have a winner....Work has already started :D

3-5-1-1
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by 3-5-1-1 »

DE is a high quality coach. I've had an opportunities to work with him and he has done well and helped lots with my development.
Before people go bagging him as suggested, SA women's football was horrible at the highest level not due to DE, but from prev years. He actually put in some good structure for the younger squads and you will see the fruit of that in the next 2-4 years from the younger teams.
I don't know Ross and can't comment but I'm sure he is a good coach.
DE must be doing something right in the development ranks in football, NTC coach in Vic and now there TD and also W-League coach.
From his NTC squad, I believe 4-5 are in the under 17s.
I'm a fan of Melissa Barberi, but if she has to sell possessions to play in Adelaide says a lot where there football is at currently, hopefully that's another cue for SA football to RE-focus on the women's game at the highest level.
Should be good viewing tomorrow!!

QuantoQuesta
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by QuantoQuesta »

Mmm I've considered for a while wether to post this or not as again it sounds like I am flip flopping my opinion on DE, but this is more of a question really.. From the game at the weekend, I thought Victory played a really nice style of football, considered build up play, controlled possession etc but were not afraid to go forward quickly when it was possible... Does anyone else agree? Or were we just poor and made them look better than they are?

jim.mcguinness
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jim.mcguinness »

I have not posted for a while but it looks like the same old cabernet for womens football , who runs it?, does anyone have a plan?,development and retention of players? it seems we keep banging on about all of the good homegrown players that are playing elsewhere or not at all ...mmmmmmmmmm, bringing in foreigners and interstate players? WTF?, mmmmmmmmmm going nowhere fast . glad to be out of it , might have a look in at the womens game next season , be interesting to know if anyone is learning anything .....chow for now !!

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

QuantoQuesta wrote:Mmm I've considered for a while wether to post this or not as again it sounds like I am flip flopping my opinion on DE, but this is more of a question really.. From the game at the weekend, I thought Victory played a really nice style of football, considered build up play, controlled possession etc but were not afraid to go forward quickly when it was possible... Does anyone else agree? Or were we just poor and made them look better than they are?
I would argue that Victory side has clearly gone backwards from the Grand Final side from last year, even with the acquisition of De Vanna and DE having the full year to prepare an already successful squad.

Victory came here last year in early December and smashed us 5 nil.

Last weekend, Victory laboured somewhat to a 2 nil victory, with first goal coming from a dubious/soft penalty. Victory were the better team, but compared to last year, they were not in a different class than the current lady reds, who have been under RA for 2-3 months.

Further proof, is that Victory under DE got absolutely smashed in Round 1 at home by Sydney.

I found the 3-5-2 system that Victory played under Mulvey (who is now coaching A League Roar), highly entertaining and successful.

DE has big shoes to fill and too date, is not succeeding.

QuantoQuesta
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by QuantoQuesta »

Does DE get the whole year to work with the Victory team?

Is it that different in Victoria to here in SA? Do the players not play club football in the winter?

Didn't Mulvey also start with 4 losses at the start of last season?

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

QuantoQuesta wrote:Does DE get the whole year to work with the Victory team?

Is it that different in Victoria to here in SA? Do the players not play club football in the winter?

Didn't Mulvey also start with 4 losses at the start of last season?
DE got the job back in January ... I would have thought its his choice when to start organizing the team.

Mulvey won 3 out of the 5 first games, including impressive victories against Sydney and Canberra and playing an attacking system with 3 at the back that wasn't copied from the national curriculum.

He went straight to the A League thereafter and his Brisbane side now sits equal top of the A League.