Melissa Barbieri - Lady Reds Goal Keeper

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Melissa Barbieri - Lady Reds Goal Keeper

Post by adam »

Former Matilda’s Captain, Melissa Barbieri Announced as Lady Reds Goal Keeper

Football Federation SA is pleased to announce the signing of Melissa Barbieri as the 2013/14 Westfield W-League Lady Reds Goal Keeper.

Barbieri played with Richmond FC in Victoria until 2008, becoming the first female to play in the professional men’s league. Following her experience in the Men’s Competition, Barbieri made her debut in goals for the Matildas in September 2002 to which she was named Captain of in 2010.

Having signed with Melbourne Victory for the inaugural season of the Westfield W League in 2008, Barbieri won the Goalkeeper of the Year Award before signing with Newcastle Jets in 2011.

Relocating to Adelaide and continuing her W-League career with the Lady Reds, Barbieri told that she is excited about the opportunity, particularly now that she is a recent mother.

“I’m excited to be a Lady Red for the upcoming season. To be able to help the younger players develop is a huge honour.

“I would like to thank Ross Aloisi and the FFSA for believing I can make a difference after having my first child. This is the first step in returning to the National Team, this time as a mum and I am excited for the challenges that lay ahead.”

FFSA Chief Executive Officer Michael Carter said that he is thrilled to have secured the former Matilda in conjunction with appointing Ross Aloisi as the new head coach for the 2013/14 Season squad.

“Melissa will be a major asset to the team as a player and as a leader for the girls. Her experience combined with Ross’ will greatly benefit the squad.”

The Westfield W-League kicks off on Saturday November 9 with the full schedule and Lady Reds playing squad to be released soon.

Black Hawk
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Melissa Barbieri - Lady Reds Goal Keeper

Post by Black Hawk »

What is wrong with our own local GKs?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

I think from her leadership value it's probably a good signing, the team needs a senior leader that has a winning culture, she may help drag along some local GK's to her level, whilst sorting out and tightening up the defence.

I'm sure Ross is happy having an experienced head back there.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Best signing we've had in a loooong time, possibly ever. Great pick up, don't see why anyone should see it as a negative. We want the Lady Reds to be competitive, not collecting wooden spoons

Mika Matsudaira
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Mika Matsudaira »

Red-4-Life wrote:Best signing we've had in a loooong time
Couldn't agree more. Nevertheless we'll always have whingers here.
There's no paper in the ladies room

Captainskin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Captainskin »

Agreed - best signing ever!
Former Matilda's Captain
Doing A Lic. Experienced. Winner.
Ticks all the boxes
And can help GKs here step up!