Matildas lose to Japan

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Matildas lose to Japan

Post by admin »

The Qantas Matildas have suffered a 1-0 loss to Japan in their final international match for 2006 played today at the Fukuda-Denshi Arena in Tokyo.

A goal six minutes into the second half from Yuki Nagasato was all that separated the teams in a match played in extremely wet conditions.

The match was a free-flowing contest despite the soaked pitch, with a number of goalscoring opportunities at either end.

The Qantas Matildas appeared likely to take the lead after 17 minutes when Rhian Davies cross was headed onto the crossbar by Caitlin Munoz, with Sarah Walsh’s follow up attempt also striking the crossbar.

There were further goalscoring opportunities for Joanne Peters and captain Cheryl Salisbury before the interval however both attempts flew over the goal.

Japan broke the deadlock when Shinobu Ohno broke down the right flank and provided a ball for Nagasato who slotted a low shot from 15 metres past substitute goalkeeper Emma Wirkus.

Young striker Sasha McDonnell appeared likely to score on debut but her header from a Heather Garriock cross was well saved by the Japanese goalkeeper.

At the other end Wirkus also impressed with a spectacular save from a long range effort late in the match to deny Japan.

“I’m quite pleased with the performance of the team especially considering the timing of the match and the relative build-up of the two teams,â€￾ said Qantas Matildas coach Tom Sermanni.

“We possibly had the better of the goalscoring opportunities, certainly in the first half, and we again will take a number of positives from the match.

“Japan are building for a very important month ahead while our focus since July has been a little more experimental ahead of the commencement of our Olympic qualifying campaign in February.â€￾

The Qantas Matildas last met Japan in the semi final of July’s AFC Women’s Asian Cup in Adelaide with Australia’s 2-0 win ensuring qualification for the 2007 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Japan, who finished fourth at the tournament, will shortly participate in the 2006 Asian Games and next month will play-off against the third-ranked CONCACAF nation, with the winner to qualify for the 2007 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

The Qantas Matildas will commence their 2008 Olympic qualifying campaign in February with Australia drawn alongside Chinese Taipei, Myanmar and Uzbekistan in the first stage of qualifying. Should they finish top two in the group the team will progress to the final stage of qualifying and another four team group where DPR Korea await as a seeded team. The final stage of qualifying will be held between April and August with only the top team to progress to the 2008 Olympic Games.

The 2007 FIFA Women’s World Cup is scheduled for September 10-30 in China.

Match Statistics:-

Japan 1 (Yuki Nagasato 51’)

Australia 0

Australian line-up:
Melissa Barbieri (Emma Wirkus h/t), Rhian Davies (Amber Neilson 75’), Kate McShea, Cheryl Salisbury (c), Heather Garriock; Lauren Colthorpe, Collette McCallum (Kim Carroll 75’), Joanne Peters, Joanne Burgess (Sasha McDonnell 56’); Sarah Walsh (Karla Reuter 85’), Caitlin Munoz.

Cautions: Peters 65’,

Referee: Junxia Deng (China)

Official crowd: 4,093

gubs
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by gubs »

w00t! well in Emma!!!

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Are we still convinced that things are ok in oz with women's football?

gubs
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by gubs »

define ok

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BillShankly »

internationally or locally?

gubs
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by gubs »

lol billy the kid u have opened up a can of worms

gamst
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gamst »

irony much?
pedersen

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BillShankly »

Internationally i think the matildas are doing well at the moment and hopefully the younger players coming through can help take them to the next level.
Last edited by BillShankly on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shorty
Star Player
Star Player

Post by shorty »

wow.. billy the kid.. mate u are barking up tha wrong tree haha
ShOrTy!
"float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!
Reborn...
מה שהולך בסביבות בא בסביבות

KrAzY

Post by KrAzY »

Back to the topic at hand... how gun is emma ..lol reppin it for the SA kids in style yewwwww-- i taught her how to make long range saves..well ..watched her do it ..its all the same! hahaha!

gubs
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by gubs »

hahaha yeh lol hey leps. we watch her do it at training, try n do the same but fail miserably. all credit to emma tho, shes worked damn hard to get where she is today n deserves all the success that comes her way. Nice person n great person to train with aswell...

Gotta agree Leps, she is a dear isnt she our Em

KrAzY

Post by KrAzY »

Definately 100% agree with everything you said!

Emma Wirkus - Great role model!

haha saved my life once..i had a fly stuck in my eye at training ..she helped me out.. I mite still hav that fly in my eye had she not offered a helping hand! ..Touching i know ...hahahah

Seriously tho!
Top shelf person and keeper!

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BillShankly »

KrAzY wrote:Definately 100% agree with everything you said!

Emma Wirkus - Great role model!

haha saved my life once..i had a fly stuck in my eye at training ..she helped me out.. I mite still hav that fly in my eye had she not offered a helping hand! ..Touching i know ...hahahah

Seriously tho!
Top shelf person and keeper!
hope your eternally greatful!

KrAzY

Post by KrAzY »

most definately! ..could have been the end of my career! haha

courtz
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by courtz »

emma is ace tbh!!!!!!!!!

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Well done Emma

What has her form at recent Internationals/Peace cup, etc been like of late? Will she take over the mantle of #1 GK from Barbieri?

gubs
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by gubs »

barbieri has experience over her. I think Emma's last few appearances have been good enough to keep her there. experience is crucial with keepers, shes going the right way about it to overtake barbieri. shes in the mix and she works hard so hopefully shes well on the way to overtaking her

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

From the Peace Cup games and this latest one, who had the best "clean sheet"?

gubs
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by gubs »

errr i duno....

shorty
Star Player
Star Player

Post by shorty »

emma is tha best...

not just emma, but all our goalkeepers (leps/gubs) they are tha best and train harder than any other onfield player iv met.. they are tha best g.k's eva...

and im not sucking up to them.. they know that i think they rock my socks!!!
ShOrTy!
Reborn...

deyy
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by deyy »

*cough cough* suck up *cough cough*... haha jst jks..

beaches
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by beaches »

Wonder what the Temp. was in Japan. Emma would handle the cold better than most. Anyone who has played against Stirling Districts at Bradbury in the middle of winter would know what I am talking about. :lol: 8)

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

As Paulie (consumer watchdog) from Ronnie Johns Half hour would say, Put a sticker on it. A suggested sticker for your post Shorty is:

"Our GK's work harder than me!" LOL. I'm only being seeeereeeeous!

shorty wrote:emma is tha best...

not just emma, but all our goalkeepers (leps/gubs) they are tha best and train harder than any other onfield player iv met.. they are tha best g.k's eva...

and im not sucking up to them.. they know that i think they rock my socks!!!

shorty
Star Player
Star Player

Post by shorty »

umm everyone works harder than me atm sad gal!!... coz i aint trainin darl!!!

deyy : i aint sucking up they r my fave!! hence why i wanted to get close to them i even broke my leg so i cld get out of tha forward line then it just went downhill from thereand i ended up in defence LOL
ShOrTy!
Reborn...