U15 & U17 team question

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

U15 & U17 team question

Post by johnydep »

Hi all, I'll try and keep this short with a bit of info and then the question.

My daughter and her team mate have played in the boys JPL competition since they started as U7's, this year they were in the Croydon U13JPL team. Both girls were in the U13 State team for the past two years. They were not selected for the combined U14/15 State team, but were advised to play in either the boys league or the U17 Women's league.

The girls are 14 next year, I think it's time to move into the Women's league. I was planning on the U15 age group, because it's closer to my daughters age and I think that friendship and bonding is an important part of development. But the FFSA recommend the U17 age group.

No having very much information about the Women's league, I can only guess that the majority of an U17 team is mad up of 6 year old girls, and this may be a large age gap for a 13 year old to fit into.

Can anyone that has experience with my dilemma offer any advice?

Cheers, John

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: U15 & U17 team question

Post by juniorsupporter »

There are plenty of girls that age playing U17, and if your daughter and her friend been playing boys/state up until now that't probably the very lowest they should go. Unless they can find a really strong U15 side they'll be very frustrated I think. I might suggest that they trial for a reserves side, as there are also girls that age playing reserves in some cases- but not knowing your daughter I wouldn't know if that would be appropriate. it's a tough balance between playing with your peer group and playing the appropriate level of football- the two don't really coincide for the more committed and talented junior players. my daughter has always played in age groups above her age, including U17's the year she was 14. it's pretty normal so your daughter and her friend definitely won't be the only ones by any means.

Best thing to do is get put there are go to a few trials and see how it goes. If they've played at Croydon I'm assuming You'd be looking out that way?

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

juniorsupporter wrote:There are plenty of girls that age playing U17, and if your daughter and her friend been playing boys/state up until now that't probably the very lowest they should go. Unless they can find a really strong U15 side they'll be very frustrated I think. I might suggest that they trial for a reserves side, as there are also girls that age playing reserves in some cases- but not knowing your daughter I wouldn't know if that would be appropriate. it's a tough balance between playing with your peer group and playing the appropriate level of football- the two don't really coincide for the more committed and talented junior players. my daughter has always played in age groups above her age, including U17's the year she was 14. it's pretty normal so your daughter and her friend definitely won't be the only ones by any means.

Best thing to do is get put there are go to a few trials and see how it goes. If they've played at Croydon I'm assuming You'd be looking out that way?
Both girls live in Prospect. We'd like a club close by, no further than a 30 minute drive if possible. But it also depends on the girls and the club.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Within a 30 minute radius of Prospect they could play anywhere! Pick a club with a Prems program if they want to continue to be serious about their football- will give them a program to grow into. Good luck.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

juniorsupporter wrote:Within a 30 minute radius of Prospect they could play anywhere! Pick a club with a Prems program if they want to continue to be serious about their football- will give them a program to grow into. Good luck.
Any suggestions?

We're going for a look at City this weekend.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I'd say that would be a good place to look. They obviously have successful programs and strong representation in state programs. They are always very consistent year to year. I think they also have a good group of players around your daughter's age that she would probably play with no matter which comp they put her in. My daughter doesn't play there, so I have no hidden agenda- hope it goes well for her.

neits/burgo/shadow
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by neits/burgo/shadow »

Hi Johnydep, I totally agree with Juniorsupporter - look to a reserves side (again only if you think the players would be able to handle it). I know many current and former Wleague/WNSL players who started playing seniors (reserves and/or premier league) around the ages of 12-14. Just like the Junior leagues, Reserves has unlimited substituions - great for players transitioning into seniors, coaches can take players off if they need to give them some coaching points and able to bring them back on with out a worry. I know some clubs had U14's playing in reserves, even playing a few minutes here and there for their prems team.

Just a thought. Good luck in season 2013 :)

Gazelle
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Gazelle »

I must admit that I knew someone who went up straight from U13s to U17s (at age 13) and she felt a bit left out and on a different level emotionally compared to the other girls who were all around 16-17.

I would recommend putting your daughters in an U15 team, and if they prove to be above that level, I'm sure the coaches won't mind pushing them up to U17 during the season. Mind you, this also depends on their attitude. Are they in it for fun or are they taking it dead seriously?

Clubs to go to: Adelaide City or Adelaide Uni, since both clubs are central and have decent prems teams.
Gazelle

Super Baron
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Super Baron »

If the girls have been playing for the u13 state team this year, as a minimum they should be playing in a reserve team next year if they want to develop into future state players.

I think it will be a step backwards if they play for an U17 or U15 team.

Gazelle
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Gazelle »

There is such a thing as too much, too fast. If we want to focus on keeping quality players in the game here in SA, we need to pace their development, so they don't burn out as so many have done in the past.

Other skilled players will be in the U15 and U17 leagues as well and these girls won't be going anywhere if they enjoy playing and like I said previously, it's not just about playing ability, it's about maturity level.

What's the rush?
Gazelle

neits/burgo/shadow
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by neits/burgo/shadow »

Gazelle wrote: What's the rush?
No rush, but why hold back players in under age groups if they are realistically good enough to be playing at a higher level?

Gazelle
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Gazelle »

Give them the choice.

If they want to play higher, let them, but if they want to play in a team with more girls their age, they shouldn't be persuaded or pushed into playing higher.

Seriously, they are only 13!!
Gazelle

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I agree that they shouldn't be pushed or coerced into playing in an older age division, I don't think anyone on here is suggesting that. But they don't want to spend the entire year frustrated either (I've seen it happen). If they're "deadly serious" they need a challenge. And I agree with a comment earlier that if they want to continue to play in the state programs and make the squads, they shouldn't be playing U15. And coming from the boys' comp that would be a step backwards imo. Have you seen a U15 game lately Gazelle?

And I think Johnnydepp said they'd be 14 next year, which is different. Lots of growth and development happening in that year.

nanstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by nanstar »

You should consider Metro United at Pooraka. They should have u15 and u17 next year, and your daughter and her friend could start in 15s and move up trials info is in the announcement section. MUWFC Magic. Trials Mon & Tues Oct 22-23. Or Tues Oct 30

Metro also have Prems and Reserves, so if the girls are good enough the possibilities are endless

wilyaroo
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by wilyaroo »

Please bear in mind I phrase this question as a parent of a daughter who plays soccer, albeit strictly at club level. She is a good solid player and whilst has represented at STIC level, has not made it into any state team. The question being "what does your daughter want from participating in soccer?"

Does she want to play/achieve at the highest level possible?
Are her goals to represent Australia at the highest level?
Does she want to meet new friends with similar interests?
Does she just want to have some fun and a few successes on the weekend?

Our daughter faced these questions after her team folded at the end of a very successful season.

She has taken the middle road. We are trialling at several clubs - some at u17 level and one at reserves level. Ultimately, I think her decision will come down to how she feels about the club (it's culture), coupled with some opportunity for development. I think though when it comes down to it, she wants to enjoy her sport, make friends and wake up on Sunday mornings looking forward to playing.

She is 15. I think ultimately she wil stay in an under 17 comp for the time being, with the opportunity to get a shot in the serves over the season.

Left Wing Back
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Left Wing Back »

already 13 so have to be under 15 or higher next year.

As for the leagues red division, blue division and purple division in under 15's. there was a distinct difference between red and purple division in quality. I know our club trialled and put all beginners in purple division and experienced and state players in red division. So your selection of a club should be to look at the red division teams that have represented well in 2012. They will have a stronger competition for the girls.

Also look at the structure at the top level. Our club only hosts a division 2 team and has a three year plan to get back to atleast division one and five year plan with our juniors to progress to premiere. Only time will tell with our 118 junior girls registered at the club. But I would look at not only the premiere league teams but also who are knocking on the door to be new premier league teams. The girls could be the key to that promotion in 2-3 years.

Another thing is at u15/16 they could be in the girls team if they are at state level that play in the premier league to develop and if they are able to be there then a club will not need to be selected.

If it was my daughter I would just ask her.

I am not saying must be in under 15's just stating the league structures to assist in club selection from my experience coaching in the girls for 4 years.

Good Luck

Gazelle
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Gazelle »

Juniorsupporter, I haven't watched an U15 game this season just gone, but I know a few individuals who played in the 15s who are quite good.

As for 17s, I watched a few games and I believe that a 13-14 year old shouldn't play higher than that at this stage.

At the end of the day it's up to the girls and her parents.
Gazelle

Drusetta
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Drusetta »

Just a minor point, but in the past a player can only play Reserves if they are at least 14yo.

I think you can get permission from the FFSA If the player is younger and wishes to play Reserves.

As a prior post stated, it ultimately depends on what the players football goals are.

If unsure about which club, be sure to ask (interview) the club and prospective coach all the questions you need to make an informed decision.

As someone else said, a club's history can be a good indicator.
For the Game. For the World.

Drusetta

SoccerCraze
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by SoccerCraze »

Johnydep – good to see a parent who is genuinely seeking advice for the good of their daughter –would strongly encourage you to have the conversation with your daughter (wilyaroo proposes some good questions to put to her). Some things to think about,

1. Young female body development takes time (physically, mentally and game development). A majority of young girls (around the 13 y.o. group) that do get pushed up too soon into the U17, reserves, prems eventually end up either with long term injuries, thrashed or retiring from the game by the mid-20s (not a good outcome for the game long term nor for the players I would have thought).

2. Young girls of 13 y.o. need to interact with girls of their own age and not grow up too soon (13y.o.’s interacting with 17y.o.’s and over only exposes the young ones to behaviours and attitudes they should not know of at 13!!)

3. A good club will have a robust development program that enables the talented 13y.o.’s to continue to improve their skills, enjoy their game and encourage a great team environment. If there are stand outs in this age group, a good club will give those players the opportunity to step up to ‘test the waters’ at a higher level.

4. Finding a good club and sticking with it is what will ensure your daughter’s enjoyment, long term friendships and her longevity within the sport (too many parents move their daughters from club to club, not for their daughter but for themselves and in the long run not only alienate themselves but sadly alienate their child). Player commitment and loyalty to a club are crucial in any sport not only soccer (…unfortunately there are parents with stars in their eyes that are killing it for their kids!!)

Personally I would recommend for a young 13 y.o. female to consider U15 with a women’s soccer club – Adelaide City, Metro United, Adelaide Uni are the best ones and not too far from you.

Danny Way
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Danny Way »

SoccerCraze wrote:Johnydep – good to see a parent who is genuinely seeking advice for the good of their daughter –would strongly encourage you to have the conversation with your daughter (wilyaroo proposes some good questions to put to her). Some things to think about,

1. Young female body development takes time (physically, mentally and game development). A majority of young girls (around the 13 y.o. group) that do get pushed up too soon into the U17, reserves, prems eventually end up either with long term injuries, thrashed or retiring from the game by the mid-20s (not a good outcome for the game long term nor for the players I would have thought).

2. Young girls of 13 y.o. need to interact with girls of their own age and not grow up too soon (13y.o.’s interacting with 17y.o.’s and over only exposes the young ones to behaviours and attitudes they should not know of at 13!!)

3. A good club will have a robust development program that enables the talented 13y.o.’s to continue to improve their skills, enjoy their game and encourage a great team environment. If there are stand outs in this age group, a good club will give those players the opportunity to step up to ‘test the waters’ at a higher level.

4. Finding a good club and sticking with it is what will ensure your daughter’s enjoyment, long term friendships and her longevity within the sport (too many parents move their daughters from club to club, not for their daughter but for themselves and in the long run not only alienate themselves but sadly alienate their child). Player commitment and loyalty to a club are crucial in any sport not only soccer (…unfortunately there are parents with stars in their eyes that are killing it for their kids!!)

Personally I would recommend for a young 13 y.o. female to consider U15 with a women’s soccer club – Adelaide City, Metro United, Adelaide Uni are the best ones and not too far from you.

5. Have a very good long hard look at who is actually coaching the girls. One bad/ unenjoyable year at this age level year and young girls in particular find it very easy to give the game away. At this age good coaching and enjoyment of the game is everything to the girls. Which club or age group is probably secondary to them. If they are being coached well and enjoying themselves they will play their best football. If they continue to play their best football then they will go as far in this great game that their ability will let them.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

Thank you to everyone that has posted or called.

I have spoken to my daughter, and she is much happier now that she is better informed. We will be going out to trials over the next week or two, so she can get a feel of the clubs and coaches. From the info that I have received, there are some excellent clubs out there. But we can't get to all of them and some are a bit to far for us, especially as we are taking into account increased high school work over the next few years.

Once again, thank you to all. I'll see some of you out on the field of trials.