AUFC - W season 2021-2022

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

AUFC - W season 2021-2022

Post by scar »

Well done to Adrian on his recent shrewd recruiting with the likes of Nanako Sasaki, Stanbury, Taranto & Varley.
All look more than capable of pushing for a starting 11 from the get go, so I expect fierce competition for most positions.
Like all our supporters I look forward to this season to play finals for the 1st time but also to really challenge for silverware.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: AUFC - W season 2021-2022

Post by Riggles64 »

Well said Scar. I totally agree with your comments.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Disappointed with our result yesterday but more disappointed in the lack of aggression & fight from both our new Japanese midfielders especially Omiya. On the other hand I was very impressed by our young midfielder Shadeene Evans. Shadeene's determination & fight has already shown me she will be an excellent acquisition for Adelaide United. Meanwhile defensively Adelaide United at times looked in disarray & needs immediate attention if we are to compete successfully this season. We also need to re-establish our solid central defensive pairing & I’m hoping Kayla Sharples can come in to do the excellent job Waldus did when partnered with Matilda McNamara. While discussing our defence I would also like to see Emily Hodgson return to her right fullback position & if Isabel Hodgson was our ‘makeshift’ right fullback yesterday then she was continually out of position. I’m hoping Adrian might consider utilising Meleri Mullan as a fullback this season because for me she has the necessary speed & tenacious fight to make her a very difficult opponent for any opposition forward.
Yes disappointing first match to kickoff our season but not all ‘doom & gloom’ & I am confident Adelaide United will bounce back with a win next w/end against Canberra which I believe is a winnable game for us.
Last edited by scar on Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

No the ideal result and I take scar's observations and suggestions on board. I too believe we will get the positioning sorted. Will it result in a win? Maybe not however, I expect a much better result. I'll be there to cheer us on.

I

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

Very Poor team. Can see them being cellar dwellers unfortunately.
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Anything short of 3pts vs Perth Glory this w/end (if it goes ahead) then I'm prepared to write off our top 4 hopes this season.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Not the most convincing win yesterday but will gladly take the much needed 3pts.
Defence still far from solid & needing urgent attention bec will definitely be punished against the better opposition.
With 3 more matches to be played this month in January, I believe we will need two more wins to remain on track.

Btw, please Kayla no more "dumb" tackles in our penalty box. :oops:

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

Ga Pala wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:47 pm Very Poor team. Can see them being cellar dwellers unfortunately.
Well done.
scar wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:35 am Not the most convincing win yesterday but will gladly take the much needed 3pts.
Defence still far from solid & needing urgent attention bec will definitely be punished against the better opposition.
With 3 more matches to be played this month in January, I believe we will need two more wins to remain on track.

Btw, please Kayla no more "dumb" tackles in our penalty box. :oops:
If the team is allowed to play all their games at Hindmarsh and win them in a "not the most convincing" manner then I'm happy.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

+1. A bit uneven but many encouraging signs.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

Ga Pala wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:47 pm Very Poor team. Can see them being cellar dwellers unfortunately.
You were saying?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

:clap:

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Very impressive results and performances by the team. Well done.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Our defence slowly coming together with many positives from last w/end’s win over Canberra (although I’m still not convinced, we are seeing the best from our captain playing as a fullback).

A big test this Saturday for our defence against the formidable Wilkinson, McNamara & co. but a good result will show the rest of the competition we fully intend to be there at the business end of the season.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

No McNamara for City- she's in Dubai with the Matildas. No Winnie Heatley either... could be an opportunity. I'm backing Adelaide 2-1

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Very disappointing result vs a weakened Melb. City lineup & although defensively we were pretty good (esp. Kayla & Matilda)conceding just the single goal unfortunately our strikers really did let us down big time.
I can't believe Checker & Turmeth made such easy work of shutting us out in our very own backyard at Coopers. :oops:
Now for my thoughts on what's needed from here in to ensure a maiden finals playoff for Adel. United this season.
I believe we will still need two more wins in January, two wins in February & one more win in March which should see us just get in ahead of the fast finishing Brisbane Roar.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

scar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:10 pm Very disappointing result vs a weakened Melb. City lineup & although defensively we were pretty good (esp. Kayla & Matilda)conceding just the single goal unfortunately our strikers really did let us down big time.
I can't believe Checker & Turmeth made such easy work of shutting us out in our very own backyard at Coopers. :oops:
Now for my thoughts on what's needed from here in to ensure a maiden finals playoff for Adel. United this season.
I believe we will still need two more wins in January, two wins in February & one more win in March which should see us just get in ahead of the fast finishing Brisbane Roar.
Even if a weakened City side (with the two players missing train-on players for Matildas and not actually full Matildas) you have two Olympians in Stott and Wilkinson on the pitch, a former Matildas captain in Barbieri in goals making a world class save to deny Worts and a well-capped Emma Checker marshalling the defence. And they just put 5 past defending champions Victory. It was a game as I saw it that could've fallen either way, no-one let anyone down.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Got the 3pts vs Wellington tonight but the less said the better about our performance other than to say for me Kayla was easily our standout on the park.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

scar wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:00 pm Got the 3pts vs Wellington tonight but the less said the better about our performance other than to say for me Kayla was easily our standout on the park.
What about last night's performance? I would've thought the more said the better?

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Marinos wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:09 pm
scar wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:00 pm Got the 3pts vs Wellington tonight but the less said the better about our performance other than to say for me Kayla was easily our standout on the park.
What about last night's performance? I would've thought the more said the better?
Yes a much better performance by everyone & a deserved win with this same level now expected vs Newcastle on Friday.

Btw a poor refereeing display leaves me wondering how WSW's Gallagher 'steamrolls' her way thru opponents but no yellow.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

This seems to be ageing well :grin:
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

BIG game Thursday v. Perth.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Referee made the wrong decision disallowing the AU goal with the offside call when in fact if she was looking for an 'OUT' should've called it as a foul on Rigby by Worts prior to Condon getting involved. Sadly another poor refereeing display.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

The ref definitely did not have a good game. On to Brisbane on Sunday.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

BIG win. One more girls!!

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Interesting how sportsbird has disappeared now the team are doing well :lol:

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

nathanburns15 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:51 pm Interesting how sportsbird has disappeared now the team are doing well :lol:
You act as if you're surprised

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Well done on an emphatic win & a great effort against what is normally a strong Brisbane opponent.
At the start of the season I had my doubts Fiona would be able to hold down the key central striker role but she has been improving with every game & yesterday was pretty much unstoppable. :clap:
Meanwhile I’m still not entirely happy with our right full back (Isabel still looks like a fill in when playing that role) & I still believe will struggle against the better attacking teams.
Also I’m still not convinced Reona (apart from some occasional nice passes) provides enough in the midfield to have her as a starter with too many turnovers & an absolute lack of physical presence.
A win against an improving Wellington this week will go a long way to see us make history & finally play finals.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

A win against Wellington and a Perth loss to Victory that same weekend will mean unless Perth win their remaining two games by roughly 20 goals United are in.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Wow how disappointing the AUFC website hasn't been updated re: postponed Wellington match & rescheduled to be played today in about 1 hour. A bit disrespectful as I'm sure if it was the men's rescheduled match the website would be up-to-date.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

scar wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:35 pm Wow how disappointing the AUFC website hasn't been updated re: postponed Wellington match & rescheduled to be played today in about 1 hour. A bit disrespectful as I'm sure if it was the men's rescheduled match the website would be up-to-date.
There were probably 10-20 posts between Thursday and Friday on Insta, FB and Twitter.