Big Bash 2015/2016

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Big Bash 2015/2016

Post by Bomber »

Love this continual "coward" reference to Bradman. Have a chat to Jeff Thomson, world's fastest and probably most ever feared bowler when Bradman duly accepted an invite from Thommo to bowl him a couple of overs. Don was in his suit, took his jacket and tie off only, no pads, no gloves, no other padding protection and the bloke (in his late 60's or early 70's at the time) proceeded to smash Thommo around the park. Yes, the first couple balls Thommo sent down were tame as he thought "I better not kill the old bugger" but then he ramped things up, and the Don continued to hit him to all parts - about 20-25 years after he played his last competitive match.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Why was he so scared of Larwood that he refused to play then?

Why was the whole idea of fast leg theory devised after watching Bradman back away from quick bowling, prompting Jardine to say - "he's yellow".

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:Why was he so scared of Larwood that he refused to play then?

Why was the whole idea of fast leg theory devised after watching Bradman back away from quick bowling, prompting Jardine to say - "he's yellow".
Who said he was scared of Larwood? If he chose to make a stand about leg theory, then good. No different to the Kiwis making a stand about underarm bowling.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Why was he so scared of Larwood that he refused to play then?

Who said he was scared of Larwood? If he chose to make a stand about leg theory, then good. No different to the Kiwis making a stand about underarm bowling.
A stand against leg theory by running away from the 1st test. Was it the 2nd as well?

Did he make the same stand against it when the Victorians had already used it in a shield match?

Leg theory wasn't being used in the game when Jardine saw he was "yellow".

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bomber wrote:

A stand against leg theory by running away from the 1st test. Was it the 2nd as well?

Did he make the same stand against it when the Victorians had already used it in a shield match?

So backing away from a delivery makes one yellow. You're nuttier than he was. Any comment about facing Thommo without pads, gloves etc, who would have been a far quicker bowler? Would you have done similar?
Ignore this signature

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Bomber wrote:

Maybe "yellow" was a reference to his eye shape.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
So backing away from a delivery makes one yellow. You're nuttier than he was. Any comment about facing Thommo without pads, gloves etc, who would have been a far quicker bowler? Would you have done similar?
Other Aussies in that series were happy to try to pull and hook, Bradman wasn't. He even pulled out of games.

I don't think I'd face him without pads but then again I'm not as good as he was. However, I've faced faster than him with pads and gloves on.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

52 Tests

6,996 runs at 99.94 on uncovered wickets with very little protection, light bats and no helmets, I'd take that any time of day.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:
Other Aussies in that series were happy to try to pull and hook, Bradman wasn't. He even pulled out of games.

I don't think I'd face him without pads but then again I'm not as good as he was. However, I've faced faster than him with pads and gloves on.
Faster than him? I doubt there ever was anyone faster than him but whilst I acknowledge that can never likely be proven, I'll take the word of the players who played in his era who are still around today.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
Bomber wrote:

Faster than him? I doubt there ever was anyone faster than him but whilst I acknowledge that can never likely be proven, I'll take the word of the players who played in his era who are still around today.
I thought general consensus had Tait as faster.

I should rephrase though, I've faves someone who bowls faster than him.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Maybe ask Rod Marsh, he'd be a good judge having kept to one and coached/assessed the other. Still say Thommo was quicker and more lethal (maybe ask Edrich, Titmus, Cowdrey as well whilst you're at it). :wink:
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:Maybe ask Rod Marsh, he'd be a good judge having kept to one and coached/assessed the other. Still say Thommo was quicker and more lethal (maybe ask Edrich, Titmus, Cowdrey as well whilst you're at it). :wink:
Maybe add Boycott to your list Bomber as he refused to tour in 1974/75 :wink:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Maybe ask Rod Marsh, he'd be a good judge having kept to one and coached/assessed the other. Still say Thommo was quicker and more lethal (maybe ask Edrich, Titmus, Cowdrey as well whilst you're at it). :wink:
Do you have their phone numbers?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:
Maybe add Boycott to your list Bomber as he refused to tour in 1974/75 :wink:
You make it seem like he refused just that your and because of tommo.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

One of them, but he asked not to share it around. The Englishmen I mentioned, I'm sure you could look up history of the 74/75 tour and come up with answers that may assist. :)
Ignore this signature

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Back on topic, I only just found out that Hodge won the toss and chose to bat first in the SF last night. Silly decision!
Ignore this signature

Nonami Maho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Nonami Maho »

Everyone is an expert in hindsight.
Fed up with dating sites I came to football news

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
One of them, but he asked not to share it around. The Englishmen I mentioned, I'm sure you could look up history of the 74/75 tour and come up with answers that may assist. :)
How will they be able to confirm if they've not faced the other person?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

If you check, I'm sure they will answer assuredly without having needed to.
Ignore this signature

Stig Inge Bjørnebye
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Stig Inge Bjørnebye »

Who won last night?
I am the Stig

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:If you check, I'm sure they will answer assuredly without having needed to.
Couldn't really trust the answer then. It would be like reading the world records from 1974 and assuming they were all current

Jílín Shěng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jílín Shěng »

Bomber wrote:If you check, I'm sure they will answer assuredly without having needed to.
Couldn't really trust the answer then. It would be like reading the world records from 1974 and assuming they were all current
They were all current... in 1974.
Gotta love Chinese whispers

Jílín Shěng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jílín Shěng »

Perth not in the final for the first time.
Gotta love Chinese whispers