"GO YOU REDS"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:59 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:20 pm 
Offline
Technical Director
Technical Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm
Posts: 44279
Well if he did walk it didn't last long, middled it back to the bowler and stood there. Then complained when he was given out.

Aussies now complaining as well that the umpires made the correct decision

_________________
Quote:
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:46 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:51 pm
Posts: 11830
Location: On a freight train to crazy town
Media milking this one for all they can get :lol:

Smith hardly raised an eyebrow immediate post match, but according to the ABC was 'incensed'.

Still think whingeing should be made an Olympic sport - Aussies to win gold every time.

_________________
Time for some righteous indignation


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:13 pm 
Offline
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:30 pm
Posts: 288
I wish I had watched it.

_________________
Nothing ever lasts for ever


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:51 pm 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 55000
Location: Between the lake and the beach
Stitch This wrote:
Media milking this one for all they can get :lol:

Smith hardly raised an eyebrow immediate post match, but according to the ABC was 'incensed'.

Still think whingeing should be made an Olympic sport - Aussies to win gold every time.


We've learned from the best, that being ex-pat poms. :wink:

End of, he was out and was given out, so not sure why the fuss.

Review system does need tweaking though. Perhaps 3rd umpire should have more power/input

_________________
Ignore this signature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:47 am 
Offline
Star Player
Star Player

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:11 pm
Posts: 4820
Was the correct decision made ??? Was there an appeal ??
Rule 27.1
Umpire not to give batsman out without an appeal

Neither umpire shall give a batsman out, even though he may be out under the Laws, unless appealed to by a fielder. This shall not debar a batsman who is out under any of the Laws from leaving his wicket without an appeal having been made.

Rule 27.4
Appeal "How’s That?"

An appeal "How’s That?" covers all ways of being out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:10 am 
Offline
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 pm
Posts: 1992
Henry appealed, umpires never said not out, ball was still live therefore 'out' after more information is the correct decision. Did the kiwis have reviews left coz with the ball still live would they have come to the same conclusion the umpires did after hearing the crowd and seeing the screen and review it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:12 am 
Offline
Technical Director
Technical Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm
Posts: 44279
N5 1BH wrote:
Henry appealed, umpires never said not out, ball was still live therefore 'out' after more information is the correct decision. Did the kiwis have reviews left coz with the ball still live would they have come to the same conclusion the umpires did after hearing the crowd and seeing the screen and review it.


The umpires have said they didn't hear an appeal.

Had they appealed and turned it down, it would have been too late for the review. 15 seconds I believe. The big screen is also not allowed to show the incident until after the time for a review has passed.

_________________
Quote:
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:40 am 
Offline
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 pm
Posts: 1992
If Henry hadn't taken his mark to bowl again wouldn't an appeal for out to the umpires still be valid if the umpires had not yet given not out. If the umpires heard nothing then going for review must have been at their discretion after seeing the screen, if that’s the case it is controversial though still correct. Sucked in I suppose


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:42 am 
Offline
Technical Director
Technical Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm
Posts: 44279
N5 1BH wrote:
If Henry hadn't taken his mark to bowl again wouldn't an appeal for out to the umpires still be valid if the umpires had not yet given not out. If the umpires heard nothing then going for review must have been at their discretion after seeing the screen, if that’s the case it is controversial though still correct. Sucked in I suppose


You can appeal up until the moment the bowler begins his run up for the next ball. I'm assuming up until "over" is called as well.

The umpires must have called for an "umpire review" when McCullum "appealed" when talking to the umpire.

_________________
Quote:
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:15 am 
Offline
Star Player
Star Player

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:11 pm
Posts: 4820
God is an Englishman wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:
Henry appealed, umpires never said not out, ball was still live therefore 'out' after more information is the correct decision. Did the kiwis have reviews left coz with the ball still live would they have come to the same conclusion the umpires did after hearing the crowd and seeing the screen and review it.


The umpires have said they didn't hear an appeal.

Had they appealed and turned it down, it would have been too late for the review. 15 seconds I believe. The big screen is also not allowed to show the incident until after the time for a review has passed.


So in the umpires mind there was no appeal...

Brendon McCullum always preaching about spirit of the game :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:24 am 
Offline
Technical Director
Technical Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm
Posts: 44279
bloodypassit wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:
Henry appealed, umpires never said not out, ball was still live therefore 'out' after more information is the correct decision. Did the kiwis have reviews left coz with the ball still live would they have come to the same conclusion the umpires did after hearing the crowd and seeing the screen and review it.


The umpires have said they didn't hear an appeal.

Had they appealed and turned it down, it would have been too late for the review. 15 seconds I believe. The big screen is also not allowed to show the incident until after the time for a review has passed.


So in the umpires mind there was no appeal...

Brendon McCullum always preaching about spirit of the game :shock:


That's what the umpires have said.

How is it against the spirit of the game?

_________________
Quote:
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:25 am 
Offline
Technical Director
Technical Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm
Posts: 44279
The spirit of the game would have been the Aussie bloke walking when he was caught

_________________
Quote:
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:08 pm 
Offline
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 pm
Posts: 1992
God is an Englishman wrote:
The spirit of the game would have been the Aussie bloke walking when he was caught


:lol: :lol:

Could start a new trend though. Bowler not sure but keeps quiet, stops to do up his laces, slow walk back to his mark all while facing the screen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:09 pm 
Offline
Technical Director
Technical Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm
Posts: 44279
N5 1BH wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
The spirit of the game would have been the Aussie bloke walking when he was caught


:lol: :lol:

Could start a new trend though. Bowler not sure but keeps quiet, stops to do up his laces, slow walk back to his mark all while facing the screen


Which is why I think they will change it so that replays can't be shown until the next ball has been bowled. OR as an umpire friend of mine said, you could change competition regulations so that an appeal must be made within a certain time limit.

The bottom line with this one though is, the correct decision was made and the aussies are whingeing about it. I even had death threats from friends of a friend for suggesting the correct decision was made.

_________________
Quote:
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:56 am 
Offline
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:38 pm
Posts: 506
Location: Queens
God is an Englishman wrote:
The spirit of the game would have been the Aussie bloke walking when he was caught

'The spirit of the game' is a load of hogwash used as an argument by do-gooders when something doesn't go their way.

If the batsman doesn't want to walk (or wants to wait for the umpire to make the decision) then he's entitled to.
Stuart Broad did it, most aussies do it, it's a non-issue for me.
Up to the umpires to get it right.

My beef is when there's a contentious catch, the umpire has given it out, but the batsman argues and wants it to go to the 3rd umpire for confirmation.
If the umpire gives you out - you're out!

_________________
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:04 am 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 55000
Location: Between the lake and the beach
NZ 5/51 at drinks first session. :shock:

Could be another short test match on a "minefield"

_________________
Ignore this signature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:59 am 
Offline
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 pm
Posts: 1992
Frank Costanza wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
The spirit of the game would have been the Aussie bloke walking when he was caught

'The spirit of the game' is a load of hogwash used as an argument by do-gooders when something doesn't go their way.

If the batsman doesn't want to walk (or wants to wait for the umpire to make the decision) then he's entitled to.
Stuart Broad did it, most aussies do it, it's a non-issue for me.
Up to the umpires to get it right.

My beef is when there's a contentious catch, the umpire has given it out, but the batsman argues and wants it to go to the 3rd umpire for confirmation.
If the umpire gives you out - you're out!


Agree with the not walking part, I could only be very loosely called a batsman but have never walked and wouldn't expect anyone else to. Unfortunately the introduction of the review system means the umpires decision is no longer final or unchallenged and is gradually being downgraded, that is when they actually give a decision now a days


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:11 am 
Offline
Technical Director
Technical Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm
Posts: 44279
Frank Costanza wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
The spirit of the game would have been the Aussie bloke walking when he was caught

'The spirit of the game' is a load of hogwash used as an argument by do-gooders when something doesn't go their way.

If the batsman doesn't want to walk (or wants to wait for the umpire to make the decision) then he's entitled to.
Stuart Broad did it, most aussies do it, it's a non-issue for me.
Up to the umpires to get it right.

My beef is when there's a contentious catch, the umpire has given it out, but the batsman argues and wants it to go to the 3rd umpire for confirmation.
If the umpire gives you out - you're out!


I always walk, everyone should always walk.

_________________
Quote:
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:02 am 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 am
Posts: 17359
Bomber wrote:
NZ 5/51 at drinks first session. :shock:

Could be another short test match on a "minefield"


NZ 6/97 now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 am 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 55000
Location: Between the lake and the beach
7/124

_________________
Ignore this signature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:03 pm 
Offline
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:38 pm
Posts: 506
Location: Queens
God is an Englishman wrote:
Frank Costanza wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
The spirit of the game would have been the Aussie bloke walking when he was caught

'The spirit of the game' is a load of hogwash used as an argument by do-gooders when something doesn't go their way.

If the batsman doesn't want to walk (or wants to wait for the umpire to make the decision) then he's entitled to.
Stuart Broad did it, most aussies do it, it's a non-issue for me.
Up to the umpires to get it right.

My beef is when there's a contentious catch, the umpire has given it out, but the batsman argues and wants it to go to the 3rd umpire for confirmation.
If the umpire gives you out - you're out!


I always walk, everyone should always walk.

I can respect that - I don't agree with it but it's your view

_________________
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:25 pm 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 55000
Location: Between the lake and the beach
All out 183.

Hope we can make at least 250 on that deck.

_________________
Ignore this signature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:49 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 am
Posts: 17359
Bomber wrote:
All out 183.

Hope we can make at least 250 on that deck.


Geez nice deck to bowl , beats the old hard wickets in Para Districts Cricket Association.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:45 pm 
Offline
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 pm
Posts: 1992
God is an Englishman wrote:
Frank Costanza wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
The spirit of the game would have been the Aussie bloke walking when he was caught

'The spirit of the game' is a load of hogwash used as an argument by do-gooders when something doesn't go their way.

If the batsman doesn't want to walk (or wants to wait for the umpire to make the decision) then he's entitled to.
Stuart Broad did it, most aussies do it, it's a non-issue for me.
Up to the umpires to get it right.

My beef is when there's a contentious catch, the umpire has given it out, but the batsman argues and wants it to go to the 3rd umpire for confirmation.
If the umpire gives you out - you're out!


I always walk, everyone should always walk.


I walk too, down the pitch to do a bit of gardening


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:21 pm 
Offline
Technical Director
Technical Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm
Posts: 44279
ozzie owl wrote:
Bomber wrote:
All out 183.

Hope we can make at least 250 on that deck.


Geez nice deck to bowl , beats the old hard wickets in Para Districts Cricket Association.


Hard wickets must be like playing football on astroturf. Completely bottle of shiraz stupid.

_________________
Quote:
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:49 pm 
Offline
Star Player
Star Player

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:11 pm
Posts: 4820
Voges bowled off a no ball but replays show it wasnt a no bowl .....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:52 am 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 55000
Location: Between the lake and the beach
bloodypassit wrote:
Voges bowled off a no ball but replays show it wasnt a no bowl .....


Gotta love pommy umps. :wink:

_________________
Ignore this signature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:17 am 
Offline
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 pm
Posts: 1992
God is an Englishman wrote:
Frank Costanza wrote:
'The spirit of the game' is a load of hogwash used as an argument by do-gooders when something doesn't go their way.

If the batsman doesn't want to walk (or wants to wait for the umpire to make the decision) then he's entitled to.
Stuart Broad did it, most aussies do it, it's a non-issue for me.
Up to the umpires to get it right.

My beef is when there's a contentious catch, the umpire has given it out, but the batsman argues and wants it to go to the 3rd umpire for confirmation.
If the umpire gives you out - you're out!


I always walk, everyone should always walk.


In the Voges case when you get back to the changing rooms a couple of balls later and see it was clearly a very bad mistake by the umpire and that you should be out. Do you retire in the spirit of the game or play on ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:33 am 
Offline
Technical Director
Technical Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm
Posts: 44279
N5 1BH wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
Frank Costanza wrote:
'The spirit of the game' is a load of hogwash used as an argument by do-gooders when something doesn't go their way.

If the batsman doesn't want to walk (or wants to wait for the umpire to make the decision) then he's entitled to.
Stuart Broad did it, most aussies do it, it's a non-issue for me.
Up to the umpires to get it right.

My beef is when there's a contentious catch, the umpire has given it out, but the batsman argues and wants it to go to the 3rd umpire for confirmation.
If the umpire gives you out - you're out!


I always walk, everyone should always walk.


In the Voges case when you get back to the changing rooms a couple of balls later and see it was clearly a very bad mistake by the umpire and that you should be out. Do you retire in the spirit of the game or play on ?


Of course not, a batsmen is in no position to tell if it's a no ball.

_________________
Quote:
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Australia v New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:18 pm 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 55000
Location: Between the lake and the beach
1-0 to us. :D

_________________
Ignore this signature


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group