crows - respect or not for sanfl ?

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

crows - respect or not for sanfl ?

Post by The General »

read this article today - fair point I say

NO RESPECT

Adelaide’s announcement of 2004 Magarey Medallist Paul Thomas joining the Crows coaching staff today, has displayed a total disrespect for the rest of the SANFL competition and it's other stakeholders according to the seven-time league premiership coach of the Bulldogs, Roy Laird.
“The lack of respect is evident by the fact there was no communication with the Central District Football Club about talking with our club captain before the meeting was held,” Laird said.
“They have talked him into an early retirement to be a member of the back room staff at the Crows.
“It’s nothing short of disgraceful.
“On his form during the second half of the season and his position in this year’s Magarey Medal count, the indications were he could have played for another two years.
“This is the AFL clubs in this town kicking their SANFL opponents in the guts.
“Paul has been a great servant of this club, but now he’s just an opponent.”
Thomas has played in six league premierships with the Bulldogs and has been a captain or co-captain for the past nine years.
He will leave his position as a teacher and the football coordinator at the Henley High football program as well.
His role within the Crows SANFL program will be as a development and defensive coach.

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: crows - respect or not for sanfl ?

Post by bapa »

aaaah the crows....... Tell me it was another idea by Nigel not-so-smart?

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

I'm pretty sure the decision was made by Paul Thomas to accept the offer.

I don't see an issue with it - if he wants to further his coaching pedigree this is a good move for him.

Roy Laird is just a little bitter that Centrals haven't won anything in the past 4 years.

For the record, I'm a roosters supporter (in the SANFL) and we suck at the moment - I don't blame the Crows or Port - our coaching has been hopeless.
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Caretaker Coach »

From what I read Laird and Centrals are angry because no one thought about speaking to someone at the club first, surely just a common courtesy call to the club to say we are speaking to one of your players, is not too much to ask ?
Maybe courtesy is not so common any more.

Your roosters will bounce back,keep having faith in your boys.
It is difficult with the two afl Reserves sides in there, particularly when all the sanfl players work, and train, and the play ( some even work weekends )

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Nothing wrong with it. It's a business. Crows are trying to better themselves and don't need permission to talk the employer about the role.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

totsreds08 wrote:Nothing wrong with it. It's a business. Crows are trying to better themselves and don't need permission to talk the employer about the role.

Not about asking permission, about a bit of courtesy and respect for our local clubs. Too hard to make one phone call ?

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

The General wrote:
totsreds08 wrote:Nothing wrong with it. It's a business. Crows are trying to better themselves and don't need permission to talk the employer about the role.

Not about asking permission, about a bit of courtesy and respect for our local clubs. Too hard to make one phone call ?

Would you expect your new employer to ring your old employer to make sure it's okay to give you a new job?

Or is it your role to tell your old employer?

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

Caretaker Coach wrote:From what I read Laird and Centrals are angry because no one thought about speaking to someone at the club first, surely just a common courtesy call to the club to say we are speaking to one of your players, is not too much to ask ?
Maybe courtesy is not so common any more.

Your roosters will bounce back,keep having faith in your boys.
It is difficult with the two afl Reserves sides in there, particularly when all the sanfl players work, and train, and the play ( some even work weekends )
I'd say its Paul Thomas' responsibility to tell Centrals of his plans to pursue coaching and his decision to go with the Crows.

The Crows may have been a bit bullish with it all, but Centrals could go and do the exact same thing to another club if they wanted to - fair game

We've gone from making the GF in 2013 to coming dead last and only winning 1 game this year - yet our reserves made the GF!
Hope to see an improvement next year
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Wasnt the Crows complaining only a month ago about Essendon approaching Johns Worsfold without consent or communicating with them .....

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

bloodypassit wrote:Wasnt the Crows complaining only a month ago about Essendon approaching Johns Worsfold without consent or communicating with them .....
Yes, because it was in the middle of Finals.

Centrals were not involved in finals during October.

See the difference?

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Slinky_Pete wrote:
The General wrote:

Would you expect your new employer to ring your old employer to make sure it's okay to give you a new job?

Or is it your role to tell your old employer?
I don't know. Does the old employer consistently provide your new employer with a variety of onfield and off field talent? Your new employer doesn't exist without your old employers like these. This is not true for the reverse scenario.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Crows shouldn't have complained about Essendon reaching out for worsfold. He's not a permanent employee of the club and he wanted to completely focus on the crows finals ambitions, he would've declined until further date. Nothing wrong with either.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Sanfl competition second rate, ALF top league and progressing his career, no brainer really.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

I actually know Paul. He told Centrals that this year was his last year. He had a good season and the club said that he should play on and was probably going to. He applied for the Crows job and got it so told the club he wouldn't be playing for them.

He lives up north and is/was a PE teacher at Trinity but took a job at Henley High to concentrate on AFL coaching. He's done coaching courses through the AFL and Centrals knew that we wanted to get into this role. He hasn't left the club in a position of not been able to get someone else as its recruiting season now.

He's done a lot of the club on and off the park. He and Laird get on really well and he will always have a big part to play at CDFC. No ones done anything wrong. Paul applied for a job and got it is basically all that happened

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

pretty simple really