RIP Phil Walsh

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

RIP Phil Walsh

Post by POLONIAROCS »

Over the weekend did any games observe a minutes silence?

Did you the FFSA make any mention of this incident?

Or did the soccer world just go on with their business.

I know it's a rival code but I am sure 90% of people within the soccer community would of felt this tragedy.

I see rugby, basketball and netball have made a statement but nothing from FFSA or United.

I really can't see why a statement could not be made to support sport in general.

This is one thing that annoys me about soccer hierarchy.

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: RIP Phil Walsh

Post by penalty »

Adelaide Titans vs Flinders D2 amateur game had a minute silence before kick-off

milkyway
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by milkyway »

in our game against White City, we observed a minute silence as a mark of respect for a fellow uman being albeit from a different code.
these tragedies transcends all rivalries.
www.emporiocicli.com.au
eBAY xlentcyclist

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

All 3 Gawler/Salisbury games had a minutes silence.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

POLONIAROCS wrote:Over the weekend did any games observe a minutes silence?

I know it's a rival code but I am sure 90% of people within the soccer community would of felt this tragedy.

I see rugby, basketball and netball have made a statement but nothing from FFSA or United.

I really can't see why a statement could not be made to support sport in general.

The FFSA made a statement on their FB page

Mod-jets
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mod-jets »

Olympic vs Cumberland did

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

Well done to those that did it and I am glad that it happened at some games. I just wish it came from the FFSA instead of leaders at the clubs.

The message should of been to have a minutes silence before all games on the weekend. Both from FFSA / SAASL / CSL and other associations.

A statement should of been made by the FFSA. To me it's a no brainer but then again everyone thinks different

Mápó Tòfu
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Mápó Tòfu »

POLONIAROCS wrote:To me it's a no brainer but then again everyone thinks different
Do you have one for every person who gets killed on South Australian roads?

Metal Face
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Metal Face »

Playford v AU did

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

Mápó Tòfu wrote:
POLONIAROCS wrote:To me it's a no brainer but then again everyone thinks different
I fully understand your point. I experienced this situation and yes this person did have a minutes silence but on a smaller scale. Across many clubs within the soccer league.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Mápó Tòfu wrote:
All deaths are tragic and all codes should acknowledge them equally.

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

Steve#4 wrote:
Mápó Tòfu wrote:
All deaths are tragic? Not sure about that but this was a terrible situation. I was stunned with my mouth actually open when I saw the story on tv. Especially having watched him be funny only days earlier

Surreal and most definitely tragic

YELLOW CARD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by YELLOW CARD »

Cheap shot fella.
Respect is not bagging organisations.
Or the soccer community.
People grieve in different ways, besides every sport and if your not in sport the pain is still there.

Sven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sven »

Who is Phil Walsh? What sport did he play?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

There was a minutes silence at the Croydon WT Birkalla match. It was a great gesture on both teams behalves. It shows a tragedy like this transcends codes. It happened with Phil Hughes. A quality person taken to early.

DJ BELLEND
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by DJ BELLEND »

Steve#4 wrote:
Mápó Tòfu wrote:
Isn't that his point?
Anyone can make themselves sound like a tool just by putting DJ before their name

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

YELLOW CARD wrote:

Cheap shot fella.
Respect is not bagging organisations.
Or the soccer community.
People grieve in different ways, besides every sport and if your not in sport the pain is still there.
Apologies if you took it this way. I just wished a statement could of been made. You dont always get your wishes.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

POLONIAROCS wrote: I see rugby, basketball and netball have made a statement but nothing from FFSA or United.
https://twitter.com/AdelaideUnited/stat ... 1200054272
Sven wrote:Who is Phil Walsh? What sport did he play?
He was the coach of Adelaide Football Club, and he played Aussie Rules football. 30+ years involved in the sport. If you really wanted to know, there's a thing called Google. It helps.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

George Worst
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by George Worst »

adam wrote:Image
This is where POLONIAROCS is supposed to say Mea Culpa(I was wrong) Or does he only demand standards of decency of others from behind the security of a keyboard?
Red til Dead, AUFC all the way!!

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

George Worst wrote:
This is where POLONIAROCS is supposed to say Mea Culpa(I was wrong) Or does he only demand standards of decency of others from behind the security of a keyboard?
Thankyou for bringing this up. More then happy to say I was wrong. I did ask it as a question.

I am glad the FFSA issued a statement via twitter.

I was also interested whether something went out to all the clubs or even referees on whether they were instructed to give a minutes silence before the games.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

George Worst wrote:

I agree, The time it took to write this complaint could have been used to actually look if what they were complaining about actually exists or not.

George Worst
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by George Worst »

There was a visual memorial at Para Hills vs South Adelaide. One of the manaquins used for simulating a wall when practicing free kicks was stood on Half way in between the two benches with a crows and Port footy scarf around its neck. At the memorial in front of the West Lakes HQ of the Crows, I saw 2 seperate AUFC shirts with mesages of support on them.

George Worst
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by George Worst »

POLONIAROCS wrote:
George Worst wrote:
Thankyou for bringing this up. More then happy to say I was wrong. I did ask it as a question.

I was also interested whether something went out to all the clubs or even referees on whether they were instructed to give a minutes silence before the games.
I have to admit I was disappointed to not see anything from AUFC in the newspaper published tweets of condolence from clubs various on the Saturday and Sunday, but in hindsight I thought that could have been the Advertiser/Sunday Mail just continuing its editorial policy of painting Soccer in the worst possible light that it can. I didn't get a chance to check twitter for a message from @AUFC_Official, Was there one?

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

I have to admit I was disappointed to not see anything from AUFC in the newspaper published tweets of condolence from clubs various on the Saturday and Sunday, but in hindsight I thought that could have been the Advertiser/Sunday Mail just continuing its editorial policy of painting Soccer in the worst possible light that it can. I didn't get a chance to check twitter for a message from @AUFC_Official, Was there one?[/quote]

I had the same thoughts and this is part of the reason I started the thread.

Thanks to the replies and I am glad clubs did something.

Like you say, I didnt see anything in the papers but maybe that is just a deliberate act on their behalf with all the politics involved.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

George Worst wrote:
POLONIAROCS wrote:
George Worst wrote:

I have to admit I was disappointed to not see anything from AUFC in the newspaper published tweets of condolence from clubs various on the Saturday and Sunday, but in hindsight I thought that could have been the Advertiser/Sunday Mail just continuing its editorial policy of painting Soccer in the worst possible light that it can. I didn't get a chance to check twitter for a message from @AUFC_Official, Was there one?
I'm not sure what @AUFC_Official is. AU's twitter handle is @AdelaideUnited

George Worst
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by George Worst »

Cheers, no twitter at work so I was going off my memory. Obviously I got that wrong. Must spend more time on twitter is not a sentence many people would ever say;)
Odd that the New Limited papers printed many condolence tweets from Adelaide Sporting clubs (from memory: the Bite Baseball, 36ers basketball and of course Port in the AFL, but not the AUFC one. Who says I'm paranoid? lol :lol:

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

Stuckey wrote:
George Worst wrote:

I agree, The time it took to write this complaint could have been used to actually look if what they were complaining about actually exists or not.
They were more my questions, not complaints. My questions have been answered. The forum served its purpose.

Also maybe time to get twitter by the looks of it.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

George Worst wrote:Cheers, no twitter at work so I was going off my memory. Obviously I got that wrong. Must spend more time on twitter is not a sentence many people would ever say;)
Odd that the New Limited papers printed many condolence tweets from Adelaide Sporting clubs (from memory: the Bite Baseball, 36ers basketball and of course Port in the AFL, but not the AUFC one. Who says I'm paranoid? lol :lol:
Its probably due to the person writing the article not following AU in social media. I don't really think its an issue.