Mo Farah to be investigated....

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mo Farah to be investigated....

Post by bapa »

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/j ... -ed-warner
The chairman of UK Athletics has confirmed that Mo Farah’s medical data will be assessed for evidence of doping following allegations against his coach Alberto Salazar.

Ed Warner also advised the double Olympic champion to suspend his relationship with Salazar until the allegations have “washed through” and stated that the governing body could suspend its relationship with the Cuban-born coach within weeks.

Salazar, head coach at the Nike Oregon Project in Portland and an “unpaid consultant” for UKA, was accused in a BBC Panorama documentary last week of being involved in doping along with US athlete Galen Rupp, who won 10,000m silver behind Farah at London 2012. Both Salazar and Rupp deny the allegations.

Farah vowed at a pre-Diamond League press conference in Birmingham on Saturday to stand by his coach until he was proven to have done wrong. He subsequently withdrew from his event on Sunday, saying he felt “emotionally and physically drained”.

“What we can look at is all the data surrounding our own athlete, Mo Farah: blood data, supplements data – everything surrounding his medical treatment,” Warner told Radio 4’s Today programme.

“We’re in charge of that. We run that from the UK, through Neil Black, our performance director, Barry Fudge, who’s our endurance expert.

“We need to make sure there’s nothing else there we haven’t seen, we’re not aware of, hasn’t been analysed.”

Warner added: “It may well be that the outcome of our own investigation says there’s nothing untoward going on as far as we can uncover in any way, shape or form around British Athletics and a British athlete.

“If, subsequently, the coach himself is proven to be guilty of doping offences, then there’s a second stage there and a decision would need to be taken.

“Now, one of the possible outcomes of all of this is, even though – and I’m sure that’s probably going to be the case – there’s nothing untoward proven around Mo Farah and British Athletics, we might still recommend to Mo and might still decide ourselves to suspend our relationship because of the reputational damage that could be caused.

“It’s going to take time, but not a lot of time, I hope. I would think weeks, not months. I’ve been very vocal in saying, ‘these things must be conducted more swiftly’. Because fans turning up at events watching athletes and they need to watch a sport with integrity.